tdi compression adaptor ?'s

therabbittree

Veteran Member
TDI
B4 passat, 2000 Golf, 2003 Allroad tdi
tdi compression adaptor ?\'s

im looking to buy one, i have a diesel compression tester already and have used it often with the older idi vw diesels..i just need the tdi adapter now..i thought snap on had em but no luck for the tdi adapter on their website...any tips?..thanks
Deo
\x/ hillfolk!

[ November 14, 2002, 13:20: Message edited by: therabbittree ]

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
Re: tdi compression adaptor ?\'s

What's the thread diameter and pitch for the glow plugs? If it is M10x1.0, which I think it is but I'm not positive, then you should be able to use a compression adapter for almost any newer Japanese motorcycle engine.

M

mickey

I bought a kit from NAPA, and it includes a VW adapter. I can't imagine a diesel compression tester that doesn't have a VW adapter! That would be kind of pointless.

-mickey

therabbittree

Veteran Member
TDI

i wanted one that was a injector style compression tester that i can try out quickly the glow plugs are a little harder to change fast etc..the nappa one is a tdi injector style one?..mine is a old school larger threaded body looks like a old injector body drilled out with a quick connect on the top etc...any other sources?
thanks deo\
\x/ hillfolk!

Hesh

Veteran Member

UPS arrived as if on command.

Result is: Snap-On blew it. This adaptor is not correct. !@#$

Chris

Drivbiwire

Zehntes Jahr der Veteran
TDI
2013 Passat TDI, Newmar Ventana 8.3L ISC 3945, 2016 E250 BT, 2000 Jetta TDI

I got mine from www.zelenda.com works perfect. The adapter has an internal valve that traps the compressed air so that you can get a cumulative reading. I think the Original VW/Audi adapter was something like $37.00? I had to get a hydraulic nipple so it can work with my 1000psi compression gage.

I suggest calling Zelenda and just tell them you need the TDI adapter.

DB

Drivbiwire

Zehntes Jahr der Veteran
TDI

PN#:

VAG 1381/12

DB

therabbittree

Veteran Member
TDI

thanks drivebiwire..that is the company that i got my 1.9T/ 20v head bolt tool from etc i lost the link since i moved and changed computers. a injector style fitting is much easier to use especailly since you should check to compression when the engine is warm . so removing the injectors is a lot quicker then the glow plugs..thanks
deo
\x/ hillfolk!

Drivbiwire

Zehntes Jahr der Veteran
TDI

FYI, the TDI uses the glow plug holes to test compression.

Procedure:
-Get engine to operating temp
-DISCONECT THE HARNESS GOING TO THE INJECTION PUMP AND THE FUEL SHUT-OFF SELENOID failure to do this WILL cause the pressure gage to explode!!!!!! (note: you will need to clear the codes when your done)
-remove all four glow plugs
-Hook up a battery charger to keep a uniform charge between cylinders
-Crank until the compression gage stops climbing

Do this on each cylinder, it usually takes about 15 seconds to stabilize the pressure.

DB

[ November 15, 2002, 22:25: Message edited by: Drivbiwire ]

LanduytG

Vendor
TDI
99 NB 82 Westfalia Diesel

What Pete says, except the gauge is not going to blow. I have had one on many a diesel that have sarted and the gauge was fine.

Greg

Hesh

Veteran Member

I contacted Snap-On last week with the same question. The phone help didn't know the answer, and sent in the question to their tech group. Said group claims that part # M3576 is the correct glow plug adaptor. I have ordered this and it should arrive either today or Monday. I'll report back whether it is correct or not.

Chris

jmur

Veteran Member

What are some recommended diesel compression gauges for a shade tree mechanic?

therabbittree

Veteran Member
TDI

argh duh i keep having a vision of glowplugs that are parallel to the deck surface like the idi engine which the glow plugs suck to change when the engine has the pump onit..of course the tdis glow plugs are pointing up. ha
later
sleepy rabbittree
\x/ hillfolk!

jequinn

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 2002, Blue

I bought this one from www.tooldesk.com

Hoffman® TU-15P Diesel Compression Tester 1 $38.89 $38.89
Adapter 1 $8.95 $8.95

Subtotal: $47.84
Tax: $0.00
Shipping: $7.95
Grand Total: $55.79

You need to call Hoffman and double check which adapter you need for the TDI I think it is the ATD-5561 adapter. The one I received fits into the glow plug hole. (It doesn't seat on the glow plug seal so I'm not so sure it seals well but it's good enough for the money.)

jequinn

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 2002, Blue

Yes - I double checked the ATD - 5561 adapter fits my glow plug hole threads. (Note that it doesn't "seal" like the glow plugs do - probably will need to add a washer or plumbers tape to get a really accurate reading.)

J

clacker

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf Wagon TDI DSG Trendline, 2000 Jetta TDI auto, 2008 Mercedes R320, 2006 smart fortwo cdi

Call me crazy but I think the GMC glow plug adapter is the same as the TDI glow plugs, will look tonight. My snap on guage came with the GM adapter (off ebay).
Greg

jequinn

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 2002, Blue

It'd be good to know if the GMC adapter fits.

I've decided that the ATD adapter is NOT good enough for me so I'm going to try (and thats the operative word) to make one from an old glow plug when I get one. The ATD adapter marked the area around the glow plug hole where it seated - I don't like that.

Jason