Engine Light - Cannot Pass Emission Test

ROB357

TDI
How it got worse:

Worse Day #1: They changed two EGR sensors beacuse the codes were telling them that faults were coming from those sensors. So that's like changing fire/smoke detectors cuz they tell you there's a fire. This dealer just looked blankly at me when I took this position.

So they tell me I need a $2000 DPF job. I ask "does that include the EGP filter?" Again...blank look..."what??"

I go home and ready my Deceptive and Criminal Trade Practices complaint to the courts.

Worse Day #2: I went back into the lions den (by appoinment) and asked for a sit-down with the Mech and the Svc Mgr. "What??"

I was equipped with the print of the TSB. I explained that "this is such a common problem with these TDis that pre-schoolers know about it. Why don't your VW-Trained EXPERTS know a crapped-out DPF when they see one? WHY did we have to spend $500 to realize that it was not the sensors...but the item the sensors were hired to monitor that went bad??" ... "what??"

"How did you get a TSB? What TSB is it? Oh...but your car is outta warranty."

"I KNOW its outta warranty you bumb fk!!! I want to know why we had to spend $500 FIRST to realized that it was the same, most-common problem they always have?"

"umm....we're gonna need the car for a day....we'll give you a loaner."

STUPID DAY: They called me and said "the two sensors we put in were bad...yer all set...no fault codes any more."

I said "what??"

ROB357

TDI
So I sold the most amazing car of my life cuz I can't be swinging in the wind completely vulnerable to financial ruin. Such vulnerability is just plain NOT an option for me.

Went and bought a 2015 Golf SportWag TDi with 11 miles on her!!!!
I love these cars to death, but owning them outside of the warranty zone is not possible pour moi.:):):D

fxk

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Sportwagen TDI
Rob,
Hope you like your GSW. I just got one of the last new (<80 miles) 2014 JSW TDI. Other than being hit once before it got to 750 miles, all is great. (just minor ($850) damage to the front fender). I do wonder sometimes whether I'd have been better off with a gasser, though. Oops! Too late.
frank

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
I'm sure you realize that you spent more than the DPF repair would have cost on depreciation on the GSW the moment you signed the purchase paperwork. I get the idea of unexpected costs being difficult to manage, but fixing the car you have is almost always less expensive.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
It amazes me people insist on taking their car to a dealer even after they clearly demonstrated their inability to properly service the car. :rolleyes:

Find a different shop! Alldata, Mitchell, the INTERNET, have the TSB... it isn't something that a dealer must do, even though they clearly SHOULD at least KNOW about it. :mad:

What else angers me, is that they so often times pull the "warranty" thing, as if a TSB has ANYTHING to do with a warranty. Morons.

Last edited:

ROB357

TDI
It amazes me people insist on taking their car to a dealer even after they clearly demonstrated their inability to properly service the car. :rolleyes:

Find a different shop! Alldata, Mitchell, the INTERNET, have the TSB... it isn't something that a dealer must do, even though they clearly SHOULD at least KNOW about it. :mad:
I communicated with one proven shop (name obtained via PM here). He wanted the same bloody dollar-count for the DFP as the Dealer.

The VW Dealer has deep pockets and I have the ability to tap it in courts without any problem pro-se (if it ever gets that far).

Other local chumps who claim to be VW wonks are NOT what they claim to be with the newer rolling-computers of today. As soon as they hear the model-year and that there are codes involved that the dealer cat handle, they refuse to touch.

ONE arse-tard who claimed to be a "Euro car Rock Star" refused to do my timing chain on the 2010 TDi. I did it myself!!!

What else angers me, is that they so often times pull the "warranty" thing, as if a TSB has ANYTHING to do with a warranty. Morons.
This "playing stupid" dance is a serious money-maker for them. They know exactly what's what. They do this regularly. Their model/method is play hit-n-miss with the customer's wallet. Por que? Because the mechanics earn from the customer's spend. You pay $2000 for a job, the mech makes a chunk of the labor portion. So some mechanics are unethical and see $$$ when they get your car on the lift. that's why I bomb the bastards with legal action once I see them playing me.

They referenced the "expired warranty" regarding the TSB as an attempt to confuse the matter. When they realized I wasn't falling for the idea that technical data only applies to the problem while under warranty, they finally fixed the problem and did not charge me.

This dealer intentionally puts ignorant, blank-looking staff on the service-writing desks. Its a phenomenal buffer between the perpetrator of the fraud (Mechanic AND Dealership) and you, the customer.

They love to do this hit-n-miss crap with regard to air conditioning. They can turn a $650 fix into $1200 without any effort.

Financial self defense is a personal duty.

ROB357

TDI
I'm sure you realize that you spent more than the DPF repair would have cost on depreciation on the GSW the moment you signed the purchase paperwork.
It all depends upon where you assign cost.

I take financial "risk" only if I have an anticipated return and its not a foolish endeavor. I have zero tolerance for financial vulnerability and even less-than-zero for any vehicle failure.

Cars are simply horrid money-eaters, and that's just a fact of life.

The rental car I used as a bridge tween selling the old TDi and picking up the GSW was a Nissan Versa. That experience proved to me that i require a certain level of enjoyment, comfort and performance to tolerate driving. The $18,000 Versa (aka Piece of Sushi Poop) provides torture. Will its 3-year depreciation be less than that of the GSW? I highly doubt it.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
I posted this on another thread regarding depreciation. I just sold my '12 Golf TDI with 28K on it for about $8K less than I paid for it new in October of 2011. I put a new engine in my '02 wagon last fall, and it's running so well I don't drive the Golf much.

The Golf depreciated 8K in the time I owned it. The new engine in my wagon, including install, cost far less than that. Sure, the wagon will require additional work as it ages, but so would the Golf. And I have an insurance premium that's half the Golf's, along with personal property taxes that are 20% of the Golf's. It was cheaper to keep the old one.

fxk

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Sportwagen TDI
With older cars, one has to know when to say when.
Will one ever beat the game and get out ahead owning a car? Yeah. Right.
The little s^&t of an older car will eat your lunch. How much is OK for yearly maintenance? $2K? $5K?
I the last three years, my 740 went through two batteries, ABS computer, Nav system (if the nav goes out one loses the radio and CD), rebuilt main instrument cluster, and new tires along with general maintenance. The engine was wonderful. Went to a show, and the car wouldn't back up. Heater control was on the fritz. No defrost in winter?
For another $5k I could have fixed the tran and the heater, but what would be the next thing to die? And when? My wife needed a reliable car.
Did I lose trading in the car, and buying a new JSW? Oh yeah. I do know I won't be in the shop for the next two years. What's that worth?

Rob and I made PERSONAL decisions as when to cut our losses because the problems exceeded our pain threshold. Maybe whoever got our used ones will be thrilled getting our project cars for a deal.

Now my other car is 16 years old with 250k on the clock and the original clutch. Hope it'll last another 30 years.

Rejoice with Rob on his new acquisition. Don't hate how he handled the turmoil he went through. He was between a rock and a hard place, and simplified his life greatly.

frank

Last edited:

ROB357

TDI
...He was between a rock and a hard place, and simplified his life greatly.

frank
Thank you Frank!

We all own what we do on our personal terms for our personal reasons.

Simplifying life, cutting pain, and minimizing financial exposure is actually worth thousands to me. It truly is. Some people don't get it, but I do.

The vast majority of my rides have been big V8 American cars that cost diddly to maintain in a very straight-forward manner. My former police cruiser was insanely powerful and fully indestructible. It had auto fire extinguishing, oil cooling, heavy tranny cooling, aluminum drive shaft, a bullet-proof tranny and differential. It would maintain 140 MPH indefinitely and always win in any crash (if I had any). If I want to give up the finesse and agility of my TDi, I'll go back to a V8, lumbering hulk, cuz they don't suck a wallet dry...ever!

VWs arrogant tone of vastly superior engineering (even though its not always true) seems to permeate the dealers, the fanatics and this board as well.

I'll tolerate the TDIs of this world only so long as they don't cause me any more stress. The TDIs amuse me, as I feel like I'm getting away with something getting 52 MPG local. When the fun is gone, the arrogantly flawed Deutchlander creation will be gone with it! If I have to "endure" the ownership of anything...Auf wiedersehen babe!

People here ought to learn that we own cars for different reasons and we value things in unique ways too. Some actually know proper manners and civility!

Dodoma

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta White
VW seems to have improved quality. My TDI automatic 2002 TDI has now over 165k miles and has been ok.

Abacus

That helpful B4 guy
TDI
Only the B4V left
The Golf depreciated 8K in the time I owned it. The new engine in my wagon, including install, cost far less than that. Sure, the wagon will require additional work as it ages, but so would the Golf. And I have an insurance premium that's half the Golf's, along with personal property taxes that are 20% of the Golf's. It was cheaper to keep the old one.
Exactly the reason I still drive the B4's. That and a whole lot less hassle than the new ones.

fxk said:
With older cars, one has to know when to say when.
Will one ever beat the game and get out ahead owning a car? Yeah. Right.
The little s^&t of an older car will eat your lunch. How much is OK for yearly maintenance? $2K? $5K?
The question is not how much is OK for yearly maintenance, the question is how much is acceptable yearly to pay for a car in general. Since the monthly payment on a new car is still around $500, that's $6K a year you put into it. If I put even 1/2 that amount into my B4 annually I'd have a new car and still be ahead of the curve. It is one of the reasons I still own the B4's since I don't drive them out of necessity. We see more and more people willing to put the extra money and time into their older cars than buy a new one.

The issues that crop up on an older car don't change and almost always give warning signs, just as they did in Rob's case. Replace the part that is wearing out and it'll give years of reliable service. This is the premise NiceCars uses to lure unsuspecting people into buying one of their pieces of trash for almost the same money as a new TDI.

fxk said:
For another $5k I could have fixed the tran and the heater, but what would be the next thing to die? And when? My wife needed a reliable car.
Did I lose trading in the car, and buying a new JSW? Oh yeah. I do know I won't be in the shop for the next two years. What's that worth?
I find it ironic you bought a JSW for reliability with the hpfp, turbo problems, and other issues since reliability is exactly the reason I did not buy one. Sure, the issues are hit or miss but my old B4's have none of those problems even after a ton more miles. And you don't know your car won't be in the shop, you're hoping your new car won't be in the shop.

All I'm saying is cars are mechanical and can have problems anytime. That a car has a warranty doesn't mean it'll be issue-free, it just means the likelihood of you paying for it is diminished. A decent garage could upkeep any car to the same standards.

As to the issues Rob357 experienced with the dealer, why do you think we call them 'stealerships'? The issue is not confined to dealers though, any garage can screw you over just as bad. It's why having a reputable honest shop/mechanic at your disposal is priceless.

Last edited:

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
I agree with Abacus, but both you and I have one advantage: we have alternate cars to drive. I wouldn't be as comfortable having a car with 300K on it as a daily if I didn't have the B4 and 300D as backups if it has a problem. If you only have one car it becomes a bit more stressful to manage repairs as they age.

oilhammer

TDI
B4s could be tough too since Volkswagen has long since obsoleted the whole car. Normal PM items and wear items like brakes are not too bad, but even getting decent TIRES for them anymore can be a pain. Very limited choices.

Of course, not as bad as the Eurovan... :eek:

fxk

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Sportwagen TDI
Abacus, IndigoBlueWagon, et al...
I've driven nearly all of my last 8 USED cars to 300k miles. Haven't been in a dealers bay in decades. I have had three independents I trust completely. Johnny (Yanni) has worked on my cars regularly, at two different shops, for at least 20 years. I trust him and the shop. But, the longer I keep it, the more time and money I have to put into it. Window regulators. Alternators. Transmissions. Radiators. Water pumps. ABS computers. Shocks/struts. Squared wheels. Drive shafts. Cars got hit, and have new problems afterwards.

A lot of those failures leave you out on the road, waiting for a flatbed. One gets fed up trying to anticipate the next failure. The four times my two different wagons blew the cooling system, there was no warning. Let's see.
- Stranded coming home from the airport (water pump bearing seized, snapped the shaft and emptied the cooling system).
- Stranded going to the airport (spun impeller on water pump).
- Stranded going to the dentist (steam from failing radiator on Baltimore Beltway)
- Stranded going to a coffeehouse (expansion tank blew a seam, and emptied cooling system within a half mile).

It never fails, the cell is dead, and you can't find the charger. So we wait for the trooper to find us. In the meantime, the wife is at the airport stranded, or on the way, and now will miss the flight. Or the band waiting at the gig for me to arrive with gear in the back of the car for the gig, broken down on the side of the road. Or something like that.

Abacus finds it ironic that we chose a JSW TDI to replace an unreliable older car, and goes on to list HPF failures, turbo failures, and other problems that could cause reliability problems that I'm trying to avoid.

My wife won't drive a big car, nor a coupe or any car with a sloping rear roofline (rear visibility issues). At the Washington Auto Show this year, she'd hop in a car, close the doors, look over her shoulder, and pop out in 15 seconds. "Can't see", she would say so often our group would laugh out loud. She likes my wagon. She can see. So, I pose the question: If not the JSW for $27k, then what? Add $15 grand and there some more choices. Used JSW hold their value well. How many looking for a used wagon? I looked. I could save $5k if I bought a '13 with 30k miles instead of new. No brainer for me.

Breakdowns have a direct impact on quality of life. Not only is the car unreliable, but I become unreliable. I wouldn't keep an employee who loses time at the job, late or no-show because their car keeps letting them down. I wouldn't expect anyone to hire me if I were unreliable.

I'm pretty sure the BRAND NEW CAR won't have a cooling system failure this year. Or next. Or the year after. Won't need shocks. Won't need tires. Wheels probably won't be square by then. Window regulators will probably still be working. Alternator probably will not have failed. Windshield/rear window weather seals will still be in tact. TC, EGR, DPF will most likely survive three years. I'm sure the car will be in the shop for this or that. I'm playing the odds. Wife's car. Happy wife, happy life.

And as IndigoBlueWagon notes, it is different when one has two cars at over 200k miles, and when one has a new car, and an older car.

With two older cars, the cars secretly talk out in the driveway and synchronize their breakdowns, so BOTH cars are in the shop at the same time. They think it's funny. Like an April Fools joke. Like old curmudgeons, they think they're old enough to have some fun with the young'uns without consequences.

I did what would give my wife, primarily, and I, piece of mind for the foreseeable future. Her old car was getting to be a monthly routine. So is mine. Unfortunately, no reasonable amount of time or money spent now would make her old car new. It's obvious: Your and my definition of reasonable are quite different.

I don't apologize for my decision. Did I save money overall? Heck, the best deal I ever made was buying a car for $8K, driving it an additional 160k miles, and selling it back to the guy I bought it from for $3500 5 years later.

I didn't do as well with this one - I bought the car used, drove it for another 12 years. Two alternators (ever hear of a water cooled alternator - wanna guess what that costs?). I draw the lines at auto trans failures. They fail, I bail. Put a lot of good time and money in that car, and it treated me pretty well, until it got unreliable. Had many good times and long drives in the car. Gobbled up the miles. Yeah, we miss it. It was a great car.

In the meantime, my '99 e39 wagon, with over 250k miles and the original clutch, is doing a good job. I hope it will continue to be reliable enough over the coming years. As long as the body is sound, I'm willing to put money in, probably more than its worth, till I reach my patience limit.

frank

Last edited:

oilhammer

TDI
I'm so glad none of my Volkswagens have ever left me stranded. I did have a clogged fuel filter once, and I was not the only one, and was easily fixed on the side of the road.

The car had over 400k miles on it at that point... first "breakdown" ever. And it was nearly 20 years old I think at the time. LOL.

My old Rabbit (before preheated fuel filters) did gel up on me once, but I made it home (it would idle, that's about it). Idled it home about 2 miles... thank goodness for manual transmissions. :p It was -10F that day.

fxk

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Sportwagen TDI
The good news I've never been on the hook for a broken belt, or anything due to lack of maintenance. Just like the TDI may have weak points (HPF), other cars have their unique weaknesses.
I miss my old diesel Rabbit, too. Still make fun of it today, but loved that car. A little gas in the tank always kept mine running in the cold - or some rubbing alcohol - used to have cases of the stuff in the truckstops during the winter...
Insurance costs made me get rid of it. I could insure the same year BMW 528 for the less than the Rabbit. What? That's what I said.

quartersaw

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta Wagon, '96 B4V,'99 2 door Golf
So I sold the most amazing car of my life cuz I can't be swinging in the wind completely vulnerable to financial ruin. Such vulnerability is just plain NOT an option for me.

Went and bought a 2015 Golf SportWag TDi with 11 miles on her!!!!
I love these cars to death, but owning them outside of the warranty zone is not possible pour moi.:):):D
I crashed my 2010 JSW in an ice storm a few months back. It looked like a couple grand in damage, but the car was totaled. My 'NEW' car? I bought a 2002 Jetta TDI wagon, and I'm putting 3 grand in upgrades into it. Nice, simple, efficient ALH platform for me for the foreseeable future. I'm done with VW's NASA like complexity with their engine/emissions system, and the shell game that they play for support. I don't care if the EPA mandated this. One thing for sure: The graph illustrating fuel efficiency in these vehicles is a straight line DOWNWARD since 2003. I'm going with the older platform until the wheels fall off......

oilhammer

TDI
:( say it ain't so! I love my T4, It is so useful!

I totally agree. However, Volkswagen obsoleted them years ago. And we can't buy a T5. Plus, mine is a super early production '93 (June of '92 build), so it has a bunch of goofy stuff that was probably obsoleted as its paint dried. At least they had a sense of humor: a "sport" button for the slushbox on the dashboard... LMAO.

Going to try and take very good care of my T4, it only just hit 63k miles. :)

rwolff

Veteran Member
TDI
None yet
My former police cruiser was insanely powerful and fully indestructible. (snip) and always win in any crash (if I had any).
Think again - that thing would crumple like tinfoil if you ran into me. Not only that, my vehicle isn't the ultimate "win in any crash" beast - near Vancouver, there's an intermodal yard where one of the "stays on the premises" vehicles has stenciled images of roughly a dozen of my vehicle's counterparts under the cab window (i.e. "kill flags").

If I want to give up the finesse and agility of my TDi, I'll go back to a V8, lumbering hulk, cuz they don't suck a wallet dry...ever!
I guess you've never encountered a certain type of business known as a "gas station".