Anyone know anything about the Audi TT?

CALL911

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI
My wife is interested in the Audi TT (a used one).

I am not an Audi guy and don't know anything about them.

Can anyone give me some info on the car? Good bad years to get or stay away from, are they reliable, if they have any known problems, fuel economy, if they are good cars ect.

Any info would be appreciated.

yatzee

Top Post Dawg
TDI
see sig
the early ones are very similar to MK4's - a lot of the same parts. They suffer from MFI's that fade out - just like the Passat's

Overall, an ok car, most have been beaten.

CALL911

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI
What are MFI's? The displays?

Sounds like they are picky with timing chain replacements from what I have researched.

She likes the look of the car and she is thinking about selling her current sports car (1998 Firebird Formula WS6). But she wants something at least almost as fast, and her current modified car is 440 RWHP. Lol, not sure if this will work or not, but it's worth looking into.

Anyone else have info on the car?

forcedfedbug

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 jetta, Totalled late 11. 2012 Passat TDI w/DSG and a 2012 Golf TDI. Golf traded for a 2013 beetle
The 225hp all wheel drive will most likely handle better then the firebird but even tuned those only make about 250-265. That is no where neer 440 wheel horses. The car may be a few hundred pounds lighter but not sure how much that will equal out. Like Yatzee said they share a lot of the same equipment, in fact I have a 2000 1.8t beetle and all the good parts(engine and tranny) use mostly interchangeable parts with the TT of that time. I myself was looking at the TT at the time I bought me beetle but since it used the same motor and was about 13,000 less I took the beetle and spent 500 for a tune to get the same 180hp from the base TT.
You may get better information from a TT forum though the vortex has a TT specific forum and they would be more than happy to get her TT way closer to the 440 mark than most places on the net.
Then I would bet the tt would be able to hang with anything done in the firebird.
Those cars infact have been tuned upwards of 800hp and someone created a 2 engine 1,000hp TT.(may be a bit soon for someone that does not yet own a normal one.)

Ron

BlankThis

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf GLS TDI
The MK1s were available with both VR6 engines (main issues: timing chain guides, coolant "crack" pipe) or the 1.8T (issues: turbo)

Being aging sports cars that are easily modified/tuned a lot of young people are buying them and driving them hard. If it were me I would try and get the 1.8T from someone over the age of 30. The 1.8T can easily be made much faster with just a tune, and if need be, a K04 turbo.

forcedfedbug

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 jetta, Totalled late 11. 2012 Passat TDI w/DSG and a 2012 Golf TDI. Golf traded for a 2013 beetle
The tt's back then came with a ko4 hybrid. Getting a straight ko4 would not be much of an upgrade considering the price of the turbo and tune. much better bang for the buck getting a gt series turbo since you would have to get a tune anyway. They have packages you can get for the 1.8t for about $2000 that goes all the way to 400hp.
Anything over that and the motor starts needing internal work.

Ron

forcedfedbug

Veteran Member
TDI
Forgot to add, I did not know the TT's came in anything but the 1.8 version. Thank you for sharing that. I have Never seen a vr6 version in my life. Even though the vr6 is a common motor even today, there is not nearly the upgrade potental if the choice is vr6 or 1.8t 20v.

Ron

CALL911

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI
Price range is $5k-14k.

Just researching right now if the car will be a good fit. She likes the look of it and the car feels comfortable to her. If she likes driving it, and it is fast enough, and reliable enough it may be a good swap for her Firebird.

I will be the one maintaining the car, so reliability is important. I know all the ins and outs of her Firebird and can fix everything that could break. I know nearly nothing about Audi, so if they are complex or expensive or break a lot, I need to know before I get myself in over my head.

tactdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2005.5 Jetta
Price range is $5k-14k.
so if they are complex or expensive or break a lot, I need to know before I get myself in over my head.
Pick 3 :D

I would read up on the TT within the Audi Forums, there are several forums to pick from. All Audi's are expensive to maintain. Look/search carefully concerning cam belt replacement, does the front end need to be removed or placed into a "Service" position, the A4's do (among other details of maintenance).

I know the early ones that did not have the rear spoiler, will get light in the rear at high speed (not sure if that includes highway speed or if it pertained to track speeds).

As with the Firebird, you can learn how to service the car, and perform the services, and it will be enjoyable. I always enjoyed working on my 911, M3, and race car when I had them. (and the Jetta currently).

nate0031

Veteran Member - TDIClub Contributor
TDI
96 B4 Passat
If you're going for reliability and power, stay with the Firebird. I owned a 2000 WS6 for over 70,000 miles. Unless it has been poorly maintained, the Audi will not hold a candle to it's reliability, lol. The maintenance requirements are also far less. Altogether cheaper to own. Fuel mileage will probably be similar as well. I consistently got 29 all highway with mine (6-Speed), 25-26 average combined 50/50. I also drove normally, and didn't beat on it all the time. I'm guessing your mileage is lower given the mods though.

Torque is also something that will not be the same. When I dyno'd my WS6, the torque was over 300 ft/lbs at the wheels at about 1800 where the dyno started reading. It held perfectly flat all the way to about 5,500, where it tapered off to about 250 at redline (6,200). You know what I'm talking about, you hit the accelerator, and you have instant power regardless of RPM, and it pulls hard the whole way.

If she wants performance, stay where you're at. It's cheaper, and far more powerful. You can't beat the LS platform. If you put what it'd cost you to get the TT to the same power level you're at in the Firebird in the Firebird, I'd bet you could hop over 600 HP to the wheels. I can't say enough for the LS series in regards to performance and reliability.

Now the TT will be something new. It'll also have more features and feel like a better built car. It'll feel higher shelf, and I'm certain it's fun and can be made fast. If you get the Quattro, it'll also be waaaay more practical for winter. I'm good in snow because I had to be to get anywhere in winter in that thing. The stock 275/40's aren't incredibly wide, but plenty wide enough to make that thing a sled on even an inch of snow.

To sum it up, I'd say this. If you're after a fast, inexpensive to own and reliable car, I'd keep the WS6. If it's more about the driving dynamic and user experience (comfort), and you don't mind more expense and maintenance, go for the TT. If you get significant snow, an additional nod to a Quattro TT.

If it's so great, why did I sell mine? lol. It was a hard decision. Felt like I betrayed the best car I have had. All I did was plugs, oil changes, and brakes the entire time I owned it. She never let me down. I sold it to fund the Audi project in the meantime though. Then I'll get back into a LS powered car in a few years, hopefully in Corvette form, lol.

CALL911

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI
Well, up the road about a mile was an 02 TT Quatro for sale. I drove it today and for having suspension work done, exhaust, and head work done, I really was not impressed. The car felt very slow. It was different, and like most German cars was clearly built better than the WS6, but I think the last post summed it up well. I think at this point I am going to sway the Mrs. into keeping her Firebird.

hutchmanhd

TDI
03 tdi
What are MFI's? The displays?

Sounds like they are picky with timing chain replacements from what I have researched.

She likes the look of the car and she is thinking about selling her current sports car (1998 Firebird Formula WS6). But she wants something at least almost as fast, and her current modified car is 440 RWHP. Lol, not sure if this will work or not, but it's worth looking into.

Anyone else have info on the car?
I have nothing to add concerning the Audi, but sounds like she has a very cool car now. THAT one would be hard for me to sell. And nate0031 has hit the nail on the head. The LS series of engines are the best ever from the General.

CALL911

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI
I have nothing to add concerning the Audi, but sounds like she has a very cool car now. THAT one would be hard for me to sell. And nate0031 has hit the nail on the head. The LS series of engines are the best ever from the General.
Agreed. It has an exceptional amount of potential for the $. I think sometimes she gets bored with it though and wants something new. Problem is with its current 441 RWHP, it's gonna be impossible to find something comparable in speed for the money we would get out of it. I'm trying to sway her opinion to want to keep it.

nate0031

Veteran Member - TDIClub Contributor
TDI
96 B4 Passat
If she must have something new, I think your best bet is an S4. The 2.7tt is a stout motor. I wouldn't take it over an LS, but with K04 turbo's and a tune, you can be in the same realm of power. Still AWD and with a 6 speed too. More practical car as well.

You'll likely still be spending money though, as I am doubtful you could cover the cost of the S4 and upgrades by selling the WS6.

CALL911

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI
If she must have something new, I think your best bet is an S4. The 2.7tt is a stout motor. I wouldn't take it over an LS, but with K04 turbo's and a tune, you can be in the same realm of power. Still AWD and with a 6 speed too. More practical car as well.

You'll likely still be spending money though, as I am doubtful you could cover the cost of the S4 and upgrades by selling the WS6.
Yeah that's really the whole point. If I didn't care about money, I'd just get a new Audi TT RS and just upgrade that. I'm sure that would more than make her happy. But I'm only willing to get something for the same price as what I can get out of her bird for the above price range (which is no where close to a new one or one like you are talking about).