engine won't turn off

texbik

engine won\'t turn off

Just got a 97 passat and have a BIG problem. I turn the key off and take it out and the engine just keeps going. I just filled it up and don't want to wait for it to run out of fuel!! That may take a month. If anyone knows how to stop this Energizer bunny, please help.

Drivbiwire

Zehntes Jahr der Veteran
TDI
2013 Passat TDI, Newmar Ventana 8.3L ISC 3945, 2016 E250 BT, 2000 Jetta TDI
Re: engine won\'t turn off

Remove the intake hose and place a piece of wood over the inlet, this will kill it immediately.

DB

weasel

Deactivated Member Account
TDI
None.

The TDI's have that solenoid on the side fo the fuel pump don't they ?? If so, you'll need to replace that or check the wiring going to it. It is supposed to shut off the fuel supply when the key is off ...

texbik

My wife said she went out and turned the key off and it shut off for her. It had idled for about 30 minutes when she did that. Could it be an ignition wiring problem? Or maybe the solenoid that was mentioned?

Drivbiwire

Zehntes Jahr der Veteran
TDI
2013 Passat TDI, Newmar Ventana 8.3L ISC 3945, 2016 E250 BT, 2000 Jetta TDI

Sounds like the ignition switch.

Next time just stall it by dumping the clutch

DB

jmur

Veteran Member

Is pressing the accelerator and brake simultaneously a detected fault that will shut it down?

texbik

After my wife got it to stop when she turned the key off, I went and restarted it and it wouldn't shut off again. So, I took the air tube off and blocked the intake and it promptly suffocated. Now, it won't restart. It cranks good, but no run. Did I mess something else up by choking it down to shut it off?

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e

Sounds like a bad ignition switch for sure.

DJFREEMA

TDI
13 passat

I was able to stall mine by manually closing the flap valve thing located before the egr. I was just fiddling around, but it started right back up.

M

mickey

That's right. If you have the anti-shudder valve, you can close it manually. You don't even need to take off the intake hose.

I don't think the Passats had that feature, though. In that case, you can either pull a hose and block the airflow (with your hand...it's only atmospheric pressure pushing on it, after all), or pop the clutch in high gear.

Could the the ignition switch, or it could be a bad fuel shutoff valve. Probably the ignition switch.

-mickey

M

mickey

Who was it that said, "I prefer an engine whose natural state is 'running'"?

-mickey

Griffin

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf, 2000, Green

It sounds like its your ignition switch. There are no solenoids in the fuel line... I have to trace mine down once. Disconnect the fuel line to the "clear" hose on the fuel filter, that way you'll only lose a minimal amount of fuel so you can restart. Don't do this too often as a dry fuel pump is not a happy one.

n1das

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2014 BMW 535xd ///M-Sport, 2012 BMW X5 Xdrive35d, former 3x TDI owner

Check the fuel cutoff solenoid on the injector pump. It may be sticking in the "on" position.