Bosch Wiper inserts

Marcus_go

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
Well now that the fall weather is here and winter just around the corner I'm going to replace the wipers blades. I went to the auto parts store and found the Bosch wiper blade refills. According to the store computer the size for my car (01 Jetta) is 19", 21" not sure which side is which, I would assume that the latter being for the drivers side. Are the Bosch wipers any good? Are they the OEM supply for VW? I live on the coast where it rains a good portion if the year. I have never changed the wipers so this will be my first change. How do I replace the wiper insert? BTW they want $26 cdn for 4 wipers (2 driver, 2 pass)
Also what size bulb fits the trunk light (mine went out)

TDI_YWG

Veteran Member
TDI
'03 Golf GLS TDI, '03 Golf GL TDI, '01 T4 California Exclusive, '00 T4 Multivan "Atlantis"
I purchased new inserts from the stealership here for 8 bucks a piece. You have to cut them to the proper length, which is easy to do when you have the old ones removed. Not sure if you can put new inserts into any wiper though. Mine are the factory ones.
Why were they going to sell you four blades? Should only need one per side.
-

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
Well now that the fall weather is here and winter just around the corner I'm going to replace the wipers blades. I went to the auto parts store and found the Bosch wiper blade refills. According to the store computer the size for my car (01 Jetta) is 19", 21" not sure which side is which, I would assume that the latter being for the drivers side.
You can buy the longer size and cut to exact size of your current blades.

How do I replace the wiper insert?
It's a puzzle. Just pay attention as you remove the old wiper blade.

TNT03

TDI
Black 2003 Jetta Wagon
yes, and it puzzled me so much I barely was able to finish the job. I am sure the second change will go better than the first, but for a smart guy I thought I would have better spatial skills than I apparently do.

fatmimi99

Veteran Member
TDI
02 NB Platinum Grey
I did for my Beetle. Went to Walmart and got the whole replacement arm/blade deal because it was so much cheaper than the dealer. Ended up taking them back because I didn't like the way they looked. The stock Beetle ones are solid metal while the ones I picked up at Walmart had holes in the metal. Ugly. ended up going to the dealer and paying $17 for 2 inserts. Ouch, but they look nice and wipe really well, plus they put them in for me.

TDIinRI

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 GOLF silver
Go to walmart and buy the Lexor B inserts for your OEM wiper blades. $4.88 for two inserts. They work GREAT!! This is for a Golf or Jetta. Assume that they work on a Beetle too, but I am not sure. Check the fitment guide they have at Walmart

dqa

Veteran Member
TDI
RIP: 1999½ New Golf GL TDI satin silver
The Lexor B inserts are also the proper size for the rear wiper. Unfortunately, they're only sold by the pair, so you need to hang on to the other one for a couple years until you replace it again.

neimis

Veteran Member
TDI
'92 Passat TD, '01 Golf GL TDI, '15 Golf Trendline TDI
Hey guys, is Wal-Mart in the States still carrying the Lexor refills? I've been buying them up here in Canada for the last 3 or 4 years, now all of a sudden they're discontinued.

If they are still available, I'll wait to buy some refills until I pop over the border..... Thanks for any answer

dqa

Veteran Member
TDI
Just bought mine a few days ago, getting ready for winter.

weedeater

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta, 2001, Baltic Green
Anybody know if you can replace the springs in the wiper arms, or do you have to buy the whole arm?

HerrOber

TDI
Jetta, 99.5, silver arrow
Marcus_go, if you haven't already, you may want to pull the lamp in your trunk light and check the filament. After noticing that my trunk light worked intermittently over a long period, I checked it and in mine the lamp is not the problem. For the moment I haven't bothered to diagnose the real source of the problem.

----

solstar

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 NB red cabrilet
springs only? go to a salvage yard and get as many as you want -call first to see if your model is there!

dqa

Veteran Member
TDI
Hey guys, is Wal-Mart in the States still carrying the Lexor refills? I've been buying them up here in Canada for the last 3 or 4 years, now all of a sudden they're discontinued.
I regret to report that Wally World doesn't seem to carry these anymore. Anyone know who does?

TDIray

Veteran Member
TDI
98 Jetta, 99 NB & 03 Golf TDI's
I cannot find Lexor anymore at my local Walmart, either. Hope someone else has them. I need to replace mine.

pepper10

Veteran Member
TDI
:)2002 A4 TDI , 2006 A5:)
The Bosh refills have a metal "spring" that runs the length of the blade on both sides and it cannot be cut to size. It will fit the Bosh wipers that are sold at the same auto part store you found them but I doubt they will fit the Valeo wipers that came with your car. Either you ge tthe refills from the dealer or buy a set of Bosch at the auto part store. The Valeo (dealer) are a better unit in my opinion with less chattering and better wiping ability.

HEATHKIT

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf GLS TDI
I used to live in Vancouver and I used to put Bosch in my parents' golf. You actually have to buy the whole wiper blade assembly for the first time then you can buy the refill. For some reason I just felt that they don't last as long as the OEM one in Vancouver's 4.5 months long rain season. Also I found the metal frame of wiper blade assembly by Bosch is not as strong as the OEM one (they wobble a lot more after a period of time). I am now just using the OEM one (refill) and they decent for their price. By the way, you will have to first buy the wiper blade assembly from VW dealership that takes the refill. There are two types of wiper blade at the dealership. One of them (came with our cars) has this color dot that changes color to yellow when they are old. You can not put the insert into these ones.

xsfmed

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf, 2002, Indigo Blue
I switched to the Rain-X wipers - they actually work better than the oem, and don't leave rubber on the windshield -just my experience...

dqa

Veteran Member
TDI
Lexor refills

I regret to report that Wally World doesn't seem to carry the Lexor (B) refills anymore. Anyone know who does?
After contacting the manufacturer, I came up with Van's Auto Parts in Austin. I paid something like $45 for them to ship a case of 10 pairs. There was no requirement to buy 10, that just seemed like a good number for me, so I won't have to worry about it for several years.

I think I spoke with someone else when I did this a couple months ago, but when I called to check just now they said to call 512-834-8840 ext. 200, and speak with Charles.

Timmins

Re: Rain-X wipers

I am looking to replace my windshield blades, does Rain-X sell refills or do you need to buy the whole wiper blade assembly?