New (to me) Golf, complete with issues

MikeS_18

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon, '13 Passat SE, '64 Ford Econoline
Getting back on track, IBW, I have the world's best upholstery guy in Warwick RI if you want to try something other than VW OEM for the headliner. He's the Econoline guru of the east and a pro car upholsterer. Let me know.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Thanks for the offer. I've ordered the headliner. There were only 2 in the US. I like OE.

Chris was going to get the hatch opened today. Hasn't worked in a while. And I spoke to the PO today to get more maintenance history. Apparently the OE clutch is still doing fine. Guess I don't get to replace that...yet.

ajbranz

TDI
2000 jetta & beetle
Interesting thread. I first joined this forum around 2005 with my first 2000 Jetta tdi. Didn't know much about vw diesels and got burned several times by a dealer. Got smart, started reading on this forum and have learned quite a lot. I have three children in tdi's at different stages in their lives with between 150k to 280k on them which each of my children and I "restored" them. They're still delivering excellent economy and reliability with proper maintenance.
I recently was in the market for a new vehicle, looked at new ones with an amazing amount of electronics, safety features, etc and decided on a used alh Jetta which I'm currently going through updating it. All in all very good vehicle, reasonable parts, and forums like this make it a no brainier for me. Must say vw could learn a few things from Asian counterparts regarding electrical though. Once I paint it (clear has peeled)you wouldn't know it wasn't nearly new by driving it. Many thanks to this forum and the experts who take their time helping others with their knowledge.

mrchill

TDIClub Enthusiast, Super Secret Diesel Ninja Vend
MASS! home of THE WORLD SERIES CHAMPION RED SOX! x
TDI
96 B4v red \ 98 Mk3 green\98 Mk3 Jetta black\ 99 Mk4 Jetta green x2\ 99 Mk4 Golf silver x2\ 99 Mk4 Jetta black\ 97 B4 sedan green\04 JSW gold\03 JSW silver
I think repairing this car was a lot of fun...I do what I do for kicks. I'd make a ton more money at another profession...but I wouldnt enjoy it as much. For many years I drove older cars because I couldnt justify new if I could economically keep an old one running...but so as to not become bored with them...I always added something fun to them from time to time. I purchased my first new vehicle when I was 19(my first and subsequent used ones when I was 14). I didnt purchase another new car until 2012 when I purchased my 2013 Passat Tdi. I love that car...and I drive it daily(*though it was supposed to be the weekend car). Someone asked me last week after seeing many of my cars which one was my favorite. Its still the 99.5 Jetta Tdi that some of you are familiar with.

I am attached to that car like its a pet. Sure I like my 1976 Audi 100LS...and my W140 diesel. I even like my 1983 Audi quattro turbo coupe...despite its poor condition...or any of my various wagons(of which there are many). My Kubvan is cute...so are my Rabbit pick up trucks. My golf tdis are also fun(I prefer 2 doors). Even my GMC 6.5 crew cab dually....I could go on as I have a ton of cars...but the point is...its not always about new...its bout enjoyment. I could have a brand new Audi A8 Tdi with what I have into half of my cars...and I would love one. But then I woulds only have one car...and what fun would that be?

The OP likes his cars. WHat I have learned in knowing him is that even though he could buy new...and could buy lots of other cars, he buys what he likes..even if its unconventional. His dad bought some really wild cars...stuff I would love to have owned...maybe they werent always practical...but they were fun. How long will we live here?...why not enjoy our time while we are here? We all have our hobbies and vices...cars are mine.(and tools).

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
Here's part of why I love MKIVs. I drove my son and daughter (who's here from LA) to Amherst today to visit my younger son. I had about 425 miles on the current fill when I left. Hit 700 as I got close to home, not in reserve yet. That's one reason.

Also, despite its age, my wagon happily ran at 80+ MPH on the Mass Pike. It's reasonably quiet, with a little of an exhaust note on acceleration, but otherwise pretty muted. The three of us are comfortable in the car (we're pretty small people), and I find the MKIV very easy to drive for extended periods of time.

And on a more sentimental note, We first drove IBW to Amherst when my daughter was looking at UMass in 2003. It would be impossible to count the number of trips we've made out there, as all three of my kids graduated from UMass. In all those trips the car has never missed a beat.

My big worry is that someday someone is going to rear-end or T-bone me and the wagon will be done. That, in part, is why I'm fixing the Golf. Gotta have a backup.

boertje

Veteran Member
TDI
'01, '01, '03, ‘06 NB - TDIs all.
Yup and the reason to keep both. You could always be like me. I own 5 bugs, a golf and a Jetta wagon. Some days it's just had to decide which one to drive :D but regardless which one it is, I drive with a smile. I tend to gravitate towards my red 01 bug though. I always have a spare car.

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 & 2003 Golf GLS (2005 Mercedes E320 CDI)
I'm a low-key kind of guy. The MKIVs are nice, simple and not gaudy. I don't like the interiors of most of the newer cars (doesn't matter what manufacturer)- lots of plastic-chrome crap, looks blingy to me. These cars are easy on the eyes- I will never tire of their simple aesthetics.

I know a Filipino woman who was run off the road in her Mercedes (two-seater) in a rural area. Sounds pretty much like it was a racist-motivated ATTACK. She's lucky to be alive: wound up upside down in a ditch! At her expense she ended up spending much of her savings on therapy: not sure, but I think she may not have had insurance. My point here is that I don't want this happening to my wife (who is also Filipino), I want a vehicle that doesn't draw attention, doesn't suggest "wealth." Moral of story: "Fancy," newer cars might end up costing you more than you expect.

I've never bought a new vehicle. This may be partly responsible for why I have ZERO debt (and money in the bank).

Perfectreign

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta GLS 5-speed
Good post, oilhammer. I have to say that I drive my older cars first because I like them, but they also are economical. And the combination of no payments along with low insurance and taxes really helps. The family across the street from me have a Q7 and a Range Rover Sport, both less than two years old. I can't imagine what their monthly payments are for leases and insurance. But that's their preference. They probably look at my old Jetta and shake their heads in disbelief.
Bingo!

One thing to keep in mind, too - depreciation.

When I was in college in the early '90s, I very much wanted a brand new Mercedes 560SEL. That was the top of the line sedan by Daimler Benz and ran about $80,000. My boss' dad passed away at the time, and left him about $100K. He took the $80K and bought a 560SEL.

Now, if you look on Craigslist, you'll find plenty of 560 SEL units available. I just looked and see six within 20 miles of me. The top price is $6000.

If instead of putting $80,000 towards a car back then, he'd put that into real estate or stocks or his own company, then instead of a $6000 car, he'd have something way more valuable.

I'm fine with a 16-year-old car and a 10-year-old truck. (Though I still want a 560 SEL.)

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
If you're leasing I guess depreciation doesn't matter. Just the payments. But that couple must be paying, with insurance, over $2K/month. Unless the Range Rover is a company car.

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
And speaking of payments, one can defer maintenance (though sometimes not) whereas one can't really defer payments.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
I was just at my mechanic's shop for a number of reasons, one was to look at the Golf's tires to see if I could justify buying new ones instead of swapping those over to the Avus 1s I bought. I can't: They're barely worn. And they're Bridgestone Ecopias, tires I would choose.

Another customer was there with an Audi A8 4.2. He needs brakes. Chill says that front rotors for that car run about $300 each, and pads and rotors all around at the dealer would cost about $2,500. Depending on size, some rotors aren't available in the aftermarket. Those kinds of costs make whatever I do on the Golf seem reasonable.

tdidieselbobny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Galactic Blue Jetta TDI, '15 Silk Blue Golf Sportwagen TDI
If I were you Peter,being you've brought the Golf this far,might as well get a nice paint job for it,then use it as your summer vehicle,the Passat the once in awhile vehicle and loaner to your son, then use IBW any other time and the winter.The only thing that is worrisome driving these older TDI's are other idiots on the road-they'll most likely be totalled if in an accident. I really haven't been the same since mine was totalled back in October- sucks not having a TDI after 10+ years of driving one......my son's Legacy wagon was ok for the month I drove it(at least it's 5 speed),but the Matrix is just blaaaahhhh......

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
I'm leaning towards painting the whole car. But I haven't got a quote yet, so that may change my mind. The headliner showed up today, sans a box. Wonder whose idea that was. I have it on a high shelf at work until I'm ready for it.

If I do get it painted I'll still drive it in winter. Hell, I already have an extra set of snow tires. Got to use those. And I'll put a clear bra on it to protect the nose. That's been a great help on my wagon.

btcost

Veteran Member
TDI
'12 JSW, '00 Jetta (totaled 12/23/10), 1987 M-B 300D
Peter:

I still have the boost gauge from my Jetta, it's yours if you want it.

It's just sitting in my garage doing nothing.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
I'd love it. Want one in this car for sure. You don't want to put it in the Benz?

Chill replaced the right side mirror today, the mount was broken which was why it wasn't sealing properly. We'll see if the car leaks. It's out in the rain now.

btcost

Veteran Member
TDI
'12 JSW, '00 Jetta (totaled 12/23/10), 1987 M-B 300D
Won't fit in the Benz.

I'll be down your way shortly. Works slow this week.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
Dropped the car at the paint shop today. Fenders and bumpers pulled, headliner down, window gaskets removed, lights ready to come out.

I've got a glass shop prepared to remove the windshield and rear window when the shop is ready, replacing both. The windshield has a stone star in it so it's covered on my comprehensive insurance, the rear window isn't. But I'm replacing it anyway. The gasket is rotted, and the window has a pretty visible wiper arc on it.

There's a tiny bit of rust at the bottom of the rear hatch, hardly even noticeable from the outside. But Chill saw it when he removed the handle (also replacing that). I'll have them clean that up, hope they don't tell me I need a hatch.

Looking at these pictures one might ask why the car is getting paint. But it's faded enough, and has enough dings and scratches that it seems worthwhile. And I don't want to do half the job now and face the other half later. I'm hoping for no unpleasant surprises.

MikeS_18

Top Post Dawg
TDI
and you've had good luck with Red Golfs in the past....

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
Some good luck. I ran the paint code yesterday and it's Flash Red, not Tornado Red, as I thought. I thought it had faded a bit, but maybe not. I didn't know 4-doors were Flash, only 2-doors. I think we're getting into minutiae now.

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I love the look of the red, but after having a couple of cars in that color spectrum, both whose paint oxidized to heck, I swore I'd only ever just LOOK at red cars again.

Followed a sharp-looking 2dr MK4 Red Golf TDI on my way in to work today. First time I'd seen it (driving my backroads). And yesterday when going home I followed a black 4dr, also the first time I'd seen it (it had turned off about a mile from my road). I felt better knowing that I'd just washed my car:) Now then, if I see another green TDI going down the highway it's my wife:D

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
I haven't seen Red VWs oxidize badly. And my cars are inside most of the time. At home, of course, and can be at work if I choose. Usually I like them inside in the summer. I hate cooling down a hot car.

MikeS_18

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I had a fender redone and didn't like the color match once on the red jetta. The paint guy got me the color samples and said "which of the four Tornado reds do you like?" Yes there were variations in that even based on year or something. I looked at them and chose one, and it was the same one he chose and painted with. So it's a crap shoot.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
Possibly. But the paint code in the car should be accurate. Regardless, you're helping me rationalize painting the whole car. No matching issues.

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
Possibly. But the paint code in the car should be accurate. Regardless, you're helping me rationalize painting the whole car. No matching issues.
IBW, good luck with the repaint! And it looks like you are doing it the correct way taking the disassembly approach! More costly, but a better job.

I had trouble matching the new fender paint on my 2003 Jetta rebuild. I had the paint mixed at Finishmaster where I have bought auto paint for years (they supply paint shops). When I sprayed the fenders and clear coated the buff blue base, the color was slightly off. :( This was the first time that I have ever had that happen. I rechecked the paint code formulation with them and it is correct. :confused:

If I repaint the fenders, which is not planned at the moment, I have a slice cut off the old fenders that I will take for paint matching using an optical paint analyzer. That way, if there are minute difference in color tone due to age, a new formulation will be developed. That's the best way to color match old paint.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
Most shops who paint a single body part will blend it into adjacent parts to minimize any color differences from fading. Fenders blended into doors and or the hood, for example. A single newly painted part next to an older one will look different. The Gold needed its front clip, rear bumper, and roof painted at minimum. And when you start to look at blending those components pretty soon you're painting the whole car. So that's how we proceeded.

We had more trouble with my M-B when I had a fender repaired and painted. The single stage paint originally used by Mercedes is no longer available. Paint with clear coat doesn't look the same, even if the color doesn't match. And because of the new paint blending was more challenging.

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
I decided not to blend into the doors. I know that's the proper way. Let's say I took my chances with an old car. The trouble with dark metallics is always the match. This car had one rear quarter painted a few years ago and it matched pretty well, so I took my chances. If I decide the car is a long term keeper, I may repaint the whole car and prepare it myself and have it shot at a friend's body shop. Looking at the nice fenders brings out the hood chips and scratches!

With the repairs I had in front of me (suspension, engine issues, brakes, tires, some unknowns), a total repaint was not in the cards at the start of the project.

I probably am over-emphasizing the color mis-match as none of my friends can even tell any difference and they gave it a good looking over.:D

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I'm trying to decide whether I want to try and find some used fenders for my car that are of the same original paint code, with the thought that the paint having aged might get closer than fresh new paint, or to buy new fenders and have them painted. I'm also (still) trying to figure out how to repair my rockers (this is the sticking point): may just look to put patch in pieces and paint the area with some black undercoating- I've got black mudflaps, in which case I might be able to get away with this.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
I probably am over-emphasizing the color mis-match as none of my friends can even tell any difference and they gave it a good looking over.:D
That's our curse, noticing things no one else does. I took a new upper driver's side door hinge to the body shop yesterday (they're inexpensive, btw) because I want it painted. My mechanic offered me one off a black Jetta but I know I'd notice it every time I got in or out of the car.

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
That's our curse, noticing things no one else does. I took a new upper driver's side door hinge to the body shop yesterday (they're inexpensive, btw) because I want it painted. My mechanic offered me one off a black Jetta but I know I'd notice it every time I got in or out of the car.
That's the main reason why I don't think I'd ever have a car repainted a different color- there are too many nooks and crannies where the old color would show up.