Anyone smell coolant at shutdown?

cfm56

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta TDI SportWagen
We have a 2013 Passat TDI with about 15k miles on it. When we get home and turn off the engine, we can smell a slight "hot coolant" smell emitting from the left front of the vehicle. I can smell this through the front grill. I havent noticed the coolant level dropping but though i would ask to see if this is common or just an anomoly that im experiancing. Lately this smell has started to smell as a combo of coolant/slight burnt clutch smell. I have no leaks occuring and no other discrepencys have been noticed. It is a DSG tranny fyi.

cfm56

Veteran Member
TDI
This smell seems to be stronger from the front of the engine on the drivers side (left front). At times i've had my wife ask "what is that smell" when stepping out of the passenger side of the vehicle after we park it. For her (a non-automotive individual) to notice that should say enough regarding how strong the smell is. We've had this from when it was new...like i mentioned, lately it has a hint of clutch smell along with that hot-coolant smell....odd to say the least.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
I noticed it but it went away eventually. I couldn't track down where it was coming from, so I gave up. It never ended up losing enough coolant to throw a low coolant light.

Keep an eye on it... if you lose a significant amount, have it checked out. Or have it checked out now... whichever.

jck66

Top Post Dawg
TDI
12 Passat SE / 14 BMW 535d
I don't suppose this could be a DPF regeneration smell? Does it happen all the time or just sometimes (and the cooling fan is running also)? My '12 had a smell that turned out to be "interrupted regen" and seems to be much less prevalent at 25k miles than earlier. Hope this helps.

AJM

TDI
A6
I had a coolant smell as well up to 20,000 miles. Now I have a burnt smell. I have not lost any coolant and my dealership couldn't find a leak. Please post if you find the cause.

cfm56

Veteran Member
TDI
The "smell" is there every time at engine shutdown (after driving the vehicle for our daily needs). I havent noticed any leaks and we have not noticed a difference when we interupted a regen cycle (happened only once). I have noticed this with fans off as well after parking in our garage... i guess i'll poke my head under the vehicle and under the hood a wee bit more. If nothing, i'll mention it at our 20k maintenance interval.

cfm56

Veteran Member
TDI
i wonder if this is something that is normal for this vehicle (considering all the emissions crap on the engine). I personally find it annoying that a new car smells like it has a coolant leak at shutdown, creaks and rattles throughout the cabin...and only has 15k miles. Maybe these little things are reasons that vw's sales are down in the USA. IM talking overall and not just the TDI lineup. People do not care for the cheap plastic galore approach that vw has implented in the past few years. Anyways, i'll mention this issue at my 20k service and report back. Thanks for all input so far, it in a way reduces my concern as it seems to be a symptom with other passat tdi's.

joelg00

The mechanic at my vw dealer said it is very common for the inline heater to leak on the northern passats that come with the heater as standard equipment. They have been told to check for leaks at every service. Not sure if this could be the problem....

VeeDubTDI

TDI
VW sales are actually up significantly... just down a bit over last year, and not quite up to their lofty and arbitrary sales goals.

Palouse

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat SE/sunroof, DSG
Isn't the heater standard on all Passats?

I smell nothing on my '12 SE., even after a hard drive (summer or winter) or when I've interrupted a regen.

8v-of-fury

Maybe you all have defective radiators from factory?? All have a slight leak at the driver side end tank?? Who knows.

I'd be taking my car that was under warranty straight to the dealer to have it looked at. lolol

RonJitsu

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Mercedes Benz E320 CDI, 1/2 of a 1985 Jetta 1.6 Diesel
I had that smell too from the beginning. But since my car doesn't regenerate anymore, it seems to be gone...

TDI2000Zim

Veteran Member
TDI
VW hat meinen '14 Passat TDiSE getötet.
2013 Passat smelled of coolant, infrequently though, as well as had a few more smells...

But the 2014 doesn't smell at all, except when using the windshield wiper with the methanol VW fluid.

My guess is that the Tennessee factory must have improved assembly issues.

TDIA6

TDI
2014 A6 TDI - Daytona Gray with 19" Sport Pkg
I don't suppose this could be a DPF regeneration smell? Does it happen all the time or just sometimes (and the cooling fan is running also)? My '12 had a smell that turned out to be "interrupted regen" and seems to be much less prevalent at 25k miles than earlier. Hope this helps.
That was my initial reaction also when I started to read this. Had this same kind of smell happen recently with my A6 TDI @ 6,000 miles, but was accompanied by an engine fan staying on for 5-10 minutes after shutdown. Occurred 2x in one day, and not since - I had posted about this in an Audi forum and someone replied with a link to the regen process which described exactly what I had experienced.

jackalltrades

TDI
Jetta Wagon GLS PD, 04, Reflex Silver; 13' Passat TDI, SEL Premium, Plat. Gray/Gray
Mine has had this same smell from the begining. Almost 20k and can't find a leak. It is present no matter the climate or regen state.

Jeremy_

TDI
13 Passat SEL-P
Mine has done this from day 1. Almost at 40k and the coolant smell is getting worse. Dealer couldn't find anything and the coolant level hasn't changed. I hope someone finds out where its coming from.

ancnfamily

TDI
2012 Passat TDI
Mine had and it still has same smell sine day 1. Now I'm re-filling overflow tank every other day. Had car at the dealer so many times and they can't find anything. Not sure what to do next..

VeeDubTDI

TDI
Every other day? That's a lot of coolant to be going through. Does it leave wet spots on the pavement?

PassatSE4me

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SE 6MT
If it's every other day there's a problem. If you don't see any coolant on the ground, there's only one other place it's going, and it's not good.

BigWorm

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat
WoW I thought I was going nuts. I as well am getting this smell 2012 passat tdi. The car is running flawless. No leaking or fluid loss but deninatly a smell upon shut down on my car after a 100km drive.

nord

Veteran Member
TDI
All turned back to VW. Now a 2017 Hundai Tuscon. Not a single squalk in 10k miles.
Logic would dictate that those without coolant loss aren't losing coolant. Coolant, however does have a smell and the overflow tank is vented. It's entirely possible that warm coolant is being returned to the reservoir with the resulting odor being present. Actual coolant loss will be so minimal as to be unnoticeable. Bear in mind that even an all but undetectable weep from a hose or coupling onto a hot surface will result in a very nice coolant aroma with minimal evidence of a problem.

Significant coolant loss is an entirely different issue. If no evidence of a leak in the engine bay and no evidence of coolant in the cabin, then it might be reasonable to assume a serious problem.

We'll start with a compromised block or head. Perhaps a casting fault. Though unlikely this is a possibility. Then a bad head gasket. Usually there will be contamination evident. In some cases oil or exhaust products will show themselves in the coolant reservoir. In other cases frothy (milky) oil when contaminated with coolant. Both are very bad.

If neither be the case, then two more places to look. You realize that we have a water-cooled Intercooler. A leak in this component will allow coolant to be inducted in the charge air. Remove the lower charge air hose at the Intercooler and check for signs of coolant mixed with the inevitable oil that will always be present. At this stage expect no froth, just coolant and oil with coolant sinking to the bottom and oil floating above.

The other possibility is the EGR cooler. Really just the Intercooler in reverse for all practical purposes. A leak there will allow coolant to enter the induction system at the EGR valve. It can also allow coolant to directly enter the exhaust system. I'd expect to see evidence of raw coolant at the exhaust end of the component when the system is pressurized.

Any shop that cannot detect and diagnose a major coolant issue is one from which you should run away. A pressure test should provide ample evidence of a leak. Neither the Intercooler nor the EGR cooler are all that difficult to check. This especially when pressure is applied. If neither are compromised and nothing else is evident, then it pretty much leaves an internal issue within the engine which will require pulling the head at minimum.

Unfortunately the issue MUST be resolved. Otherwise your chance of a massive failure is about the same as when Titanic kissed the iceberg. The biggest question then and now was/is how long before total disaster, not if.

Last edited:

ancnfamily

TDI
2012 Passat TDI
Logic would dictate that those without coolant loss aren't losing coolant. Coolant, however does have a smell and the overflow tank is vented. It's entirely possible that warm coolant is being returned to the reservoir with the resulting odor being present. Actual coolant loss will be so minimal as to be unnoticeable. Bear in mind that even an all but undetectable weep from a hose or coupling onto a hot surface will result in a very nice coolant aroma with minimal evidence of a problem.

Significant coolant loss is an entirely different issue. If no evidence of a leak in the engine bay and no evidence of coolant in the cabin, then it might be reasonable to assume a serious problem.

We'll start with a compromised block or head. Perhaps a casting fault. Though unlikely this is a possibility. Then a bad head gasket. Usually there will be contamination evident. In some cases oil or exhaust products will show themselves in the coolant reservoir. In other cases frothy (milky) oil when contaminated with coolant. Both are very bad.

If neither be the case, then two more places to look. You realize that we have a water-cooled Intercooler. A leak in this component will allow coolant to be inducted in the charge air. Remove the lower charge air hose at the Intercooler and check for signs of coolant mixed with the inevitable oil that will always be present. At this stage expect no froth, just coolant and oil with coolant sinking to the bottom and oil floating above.

The other possibility is the EGR cooler. Really just the Intercooler in reverse for all practical purposes. A leak there will allow coolant to enter the induction system at the EGR valve. It can also allow coolant to directly enter the exhaust system. I'd expect to see evidence of raw coolant at the exhaust end of the component when the system is pressurized.

Any shop that cannot detect and diagnose a major coolant issue is one from which you should run away. A pressure test should provide ample evidence of a leak. Neither the Intercooler nor the EGR cooler are all that difficult to check. This especially when pressure is applied. If neither are compromised and nothing else is evident, then it pretty much leaves an internal issue within the engine which will require pulling the head at minimum.

Unfortunately the issue MUST be resolved. Otherwise your chance of a massive failure is about the same as when Titanic kissed the iceberg. The biggest question then and now was/is how long before total disaster, not if.
I just wish pressure test would reveal something. It has been done when engine is cold, hot and running and no luck. Pressure does not drop. It looks like, whenever car is driven, I loose coolant. Where, no clue. Dealer can smell it but not detect it.

BTW coolant smell has been there since day 1 but just recently it developed a coolant loss.

ancnfamily

TDI
2012 Passat TDI
One more thing, I don't believe it has anything to do with head gasket or engine. Smell is up front on drivers side. If you look where all the hoses are, they are all interconnected by a different type of plastic fitting with compression clamp. I think if there was an issue with engine, I would be more when engine is cold as metal once heated "should" expand. On other hand, plastic when hot becomes weaker and I'm leaning towards some type of fitting (plastic) issue.

White Passat

Veteran Member
TDI
CPO 2013 Passat TDI SEL June 2012 build date Purchased 09/14/14
Same thing happened on my Forester after I pulled the radiator and hoses when I changed the timing belt, water pump and hoses. I could smell anti-freeze when I shut the engine down and the expansion tank would only be half full. Never dripped or left coolant on the engine. After weeks of looking I found a hairline crack on the hose fitting on the top hose of the radiator. Plastic into aluminum of course and damn near invisible. Couldn't get epoxy or anything else to stick to it. New radiator fixed it. Engine never ran hot.

Last edited:

FedAgent1896

TDI
2014 Passat SEL Premium
My 2014 has the same smell. Had it both before and after I had the Frost Heater installed. No leaks visible, no coolant added.