Which thermostat to buy that will last.

dremd

Veteran Member
TDI
06 sprinter. 03 jetta wagon premium with 6 speed ALH swap, 14 JSW
I purchased my golf right at 4 years ago with a bad thermostat (ran cold) and I replaced it with one from TDI parts (now ID parts) it worked fantastic for about a year, and has been degrading quickly ever since and is now useless.

My question is, where should I buy what thermostat from that I don't need to change every 2 years (effective life of mine)?

dremd

Veteran Member
TDI
If no one objects and or has a better Idea, I'll order from Impex tonight.

stevekris

Veteran Member
TDI
beetle 99 silver
Buy the OEM one from the dealer or whoever can supply the factory part. Impex are not factory thermostats. Hope this helps. Thanks Steve

andreigbs

Veteran Member
TDI
N/A
OEM and Genuine VW are not the same, hence the price difference.

Call your local dealer and you will see.

Link I attached from WorldImpex is for a genuine VW part, with VW part#. Order safely and happy motoring.

TDICADDGUY

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2012 BMW X5 35D
www.1stvwparts.com has it for $17 cheaper.

I find their website a bit hard to search sometimes, so I often look up the part numbers on Impex or ECS Tuning...then plug it into 1stVWparts and get it for cheaper. They also only charge actual shipping cost. When it comes to genuine VW parts they are consistently the cheapest.

andreigbs

Veteran Member
TDI
N/A
OEM includes all brands that are approved by VW (as in filters for example, you have Mann, Mahle, Wix, Bosch, etc.)

Then you have Genuine VW parts, made by VW directly.

Any clearer?

adamrc

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 VW Jetta TDI BRM - DSG
I bought one from 1stVWparts and it is a genuine VW part, Made in Germany.

PDJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'04 Jetta GLS TDI Pumpe Duce Platinum Grey w/ Leather
If no one objects and or has a better Idea, I'll order from Impex tonight.
1stvwparts.com

It is an online VW dealer and sells at about a 40% discount. On the few items I checked on, they beat Impex by a good bit on price. And I pay no sales tax. If you know the part number you can enter it on their web site for pricing. Sometimes keyword look ups work too.

https://www.1stvwparts.com/partscat.html

Looks like its $51.66 retail and $31.90 for the on-line price from them ('00-'05 1.9 TDI). Shipping would be $5 - $10, I guess.

Impex price is $48.79 for the genuine VW one. And add whatever they charge for shipping.

--Nate

Last edited:

stevekris

Veteran Member
TDI
beetle 99 silver
Sorry for the misinformation, Impex has both the OEM factory part and a thermostat made by the company that makes the factory ones. They are different. Get the factory one. Thanks Steve

T_D_I_POWER

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'04 VW PASSAT GLS TDI '06 Audi A4 q Avant 6-Spd Sport Pkg
Please explain, I was unaware of this.
Parts that you buy at the VW dealers are VW Original Taille - VW Genuine Parts-, or aka OE parts. These parts ar installed in the assembly lines. OEM is the mfr that make parts for VW OE parts to VW OE specs. You want to buy OEM parts not after market parts because it meets and exceeds OE stringent specs. After market parts don't meet stringent OE specs., basically they are inexpensive imitation OE parts

OE parts are boxed with VW logo graphics, P/N etc. The part itself have the VAG logo, and P/N stamped/molded on the part. As well as the OEM logo and P/N. OEM parts don't have the VW logo & P/N on the box or on the part itself.

Ate, Bosch, Hengst, Siemens, VDO etc. are OEMs to the German car mfrs.

Last edited:

Dimitri16V

Top Post Dawg
TDI
01 Golf, 04 Golf
what is going with thermostats with the A4s ?
I never had to replace one in older VWs. An aftermarket thermostat should work fine , no need to spend $ 60 for VW one

jettawreck

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta and 2003 Jetta
I never had to replace one in older VWs. An aftermarket thermostat should work fine , no need to spend $ 60 for VW one
Exactly. The one I got from idparts is a Walther made in Germany. 87C
About $15 w/o-ring when I bought it. Now to install it someday.:eek:

eb2143

Top Post Dawg
TDI
None
OEM includes all brands that are approved by VW (as in filters for example, you have Mann, Mahle, Wix, Bosch, etc.)

Then you have Genuine VW parts, made by VW directly.

Any clearer?
This isn't really correct.
Genuine VW parts: See what T_D_I_Power said. VW does not necessarily make something directly because it's stamped VW.

OEM: Original equipment manufacturers are the manufacturers of original equipment VW-stamped VW P/N parts.

I have heard of issues with non-VW thermostats. A search should turn something up. I've heard of aftermarket German not fitting correctly. I would stay genuine VW from 1stvwparts.com.

dremd

Veteran Member
TDI
I'm sold on OE from first VW parts, they are 10 days away from me by UPS, but oh well.

I guess I should have asked in the first place, but same question with the strut mounts, I've killed 3 sets; they last about 10,000 miles / set. Granted my car is lowered and up until the stimulus all of the roads I drove on were total crap, but still they should have lasted longer than an oil change (they start making noise, the sagging isn't a huge deal.

Cliffs: what strut mounts last at least decently?

adamrc

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 VW Jetta TDI BRM - DSG
An aftermarket one may not may not keep the coolant temperature at the correct temperature. A genuine VW thermostat can be found for $31.66 so it's not much more expensive than an aftermarket one. I've read stories where a lot of the aftermarket ones don't fit properly on the thermostat housing. My OE VW thermostat keeps the coolant temp hovering right around 190-194 degrees.

dremd

Veteran Member
TDI
The one I have did a superb job (for about 1 year/20K), however it was 182F (Unknown 2 me and not in the listing). In fact for a while I thought the SGII lied about temperature, but it was 181~182 unless I was on track in which case I saw up to 210 and cooled right off as soon as I turned the A/C on (turns fans to on).

jettawreck

Top Post Dawg
TDI
An aftermarket one may not may not keep the coolant temperature at the correct temperature. A genuine VW thermostat can be found for $31.66 so it's not much more expensive than an aftermarket one. I've read stories where a lot of the aftermarket ones don't fit properly on the thermostat housing. My OE VW thermostat keeps the coolant temp hovering right around 190-194 degrees.
My "OEM/VW" 'stat from new never achieved nor maintained those figures, so I think there is nothing to be gained by buying the same one again. The "aftermarket" Wahler is stamped 87C, that converts to about 188F, so I'll see how that goes and if I can get more than my "normal" for this time of year 172F out of it when I get around to changing it.
I look forward to my mpg skyrocketing.

Last edited:

Henrick

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf VI TDI, 77 kW (CAYC)
Short answer to OP's question. Get a Wahler thermostat, this is what is being installed in factory when engines are assembled.

eb2143

Top Post Dawg
TDI
None
Its also what is sold by idparts.
Short answer to OP's question. Get a Wahler thermostat, this is what is being installed in factory when engines are assembled.
Do you guys have direct experience with this thermostat??

frugality said:
Addendum #2:
This is a comparison between the OE thermostat ($66 at my local dealer) and an aftermarket thermostat from one of our trusted vendors ($19). The aftermarket thermostat will not attach to the flange. The pointy end is not big enough to catch on the 2 pins. I recommend going with the original VW thermostat. The aftermarket one did come with a new O-ring. The VW one did not, and has to be purchased separately.

The 2 pins of the flange are supposed to engage within the 'arch' on the top of the thermostat. There is no provision for this on the aftermarket thermostat, however. Also, as you can see there are some other differences in construction between the two thermostats.

TDIJetta99

Top Post Dawg
TDI
03... Faster than yours =]
I was using a $9 thermostat from my local Napa... It wasn't the part number listed for an ALH, but it was the same diameter and similar construction.. worked fine and kept my engine temperature between 195-200 even in the dead of winter.. I changed it out for a slightly cooler temperature when I started really modifying it for more power.. The hot one is now in someone's WVO car and still working flawlessly

Keebler145

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta MKIV 2000, 2003, and MKV 2006 PD DSG
My thermostat just recently started to go. At first I thought it was the sensor going again as I have replaced it once before but vagcom confirmed other wise. I picked mine up from the dealer with an o-ring for 43.87 after tax. Can't complain. Going to put it my car sometime before I get the motor back in it.

Henrick

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf VI TDI, 77 kW (CAYC)
OK, then do you have at least a clue who is the OEM thermostat supplier for VW?
I don't remember the source but I have in my notes that OEM supplier (for TDI-PD engines, at least) is Wahler. It seems my notes are wrong :(

jettawreck

Top Post Dawg
TDI
The only experience I have with it is that its sitting on my shelf waiting for me to intall it. I was going to wait until oil change time, as I stated earlier, (another 5K) but now I don't know if I want to wait that long. Last nite on the way home the '01 struggled to maintain 170/172 and on a few downhill grades it would drop to 165. Ambient temp wasn't cold (25F) yet, so before next weeks incoming cold spell I may have to take the Panzer plate off and get to it.

PDJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'04 Jetta GLS TDI Pumpe Duce Platinum Grey w/ Leather
Exactly. The one I got from idparts is a Walther made in Germany. 87C
About $15 w/o-ring when I bought it. Now to install it someday.:eek:
This is interesting because Whaler was the OEM thermostat manufacturer for the T-stat in my '85 Jetta TD I had. The VW one and the Whaler were identical in every respect, sans the VW logo and part number on the Whaler. Evidently VW went to a different OEM manufacturer at some point. Is the Whaler physically different than the OEM one for the newer VWs?

--Nate

dremd

Veteran Member
TDI
FYI: I ordered one from firstvw parts.
Also ordered strut mounts and a gasket (still have a new housing on the shelf from original install.