CJAA transmission swap

Acezx

TDI
'10 Golf Sportwagen
Just want to confirm before i give this a shot, well i already have both engines pulled so i guess i am sort of committed. Is the manual and dsg transmissions straight swaps between cjaa engines? ...not counting electrical harness and ecu etc

Thanks.

p.s. any special tools needed to properly mount the dsg transmission? Never worked with a dsg before.

Last edited:

KERMA

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
99 beetle and 04 jetta
are you changing engines or transmissions?

the car won't know the difference between the engines in a manual or dsg car

If you are trying to do a manual swap or vice versa (changing transmission type) it is not so straight forward.

Acezx

TDI
'10 Golf Sportwagen
are you changing engines or transmissions?

the car won't know the difference between the engines in a manual or dsg car

If you are trying to do a manual swap or vice versa (changing transmission type) it is not so straight forward.
So i have a mk6 hatchback with a cjaa and a sportwagen with a cjaa; the sportwagen is DSG and the hatch is manual...my intent/goal is swap the engines, and keep the transmissions in their respective cars....the electrical harnesses and ecus will also stay in the respective cars...so in terms of electric, there wont be an issue...i am just wondering if the shaft or "mating" mechanic for the transmissions is different between the manual and dsg.

:)

ihatespeed

Veteran Member
TDI
11 tdi wagon 6mt 15 golf 6mt (Wife's) 2000 Ford 350 7.3l 6mt 4x4 (technically a TDI)
The flywheel will have to change, but after that it should be ok, You will probably want to put in a new flywheel, as the dmf is a wear item.

ihatespeed

Veteran Member
TDI
11 tdi wagon 6mt 15 golf 6mt (Wife's) 2000 Ford 350 7.3l 6mt 4x4 (technically a TDI)
as with a lot of things your mileage will vary, but Id guess any DMF that has over 200k on it is on borrowed time.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
I'm curious why you want to swap engines. Does one of them have low compression or burn oil? I don't see it being worthwhile if one just has high miles but runs well otherwise.

Geordi

Veteran Member
Somewhere between Heaven and Hell. But it is reall
TDI
14 JSW DSG, 03 Wagon 01M, 400k and IPT performance auto!
as with a lot of things your mileage will vary, but Id guess any DMF that has over 200k on it is on borrowed time.
I realize my current mileage and your reply are both only one data point each...
But with 168k on it right now and unknown whether the DMF was ever changed previously... Bleh. That's not thrilling. Oh well, like anything else, I'll figure it out when it needs to be figured out.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
I realize my current mileage and your reply are both only one data point each...
But with 168k on it right now and unknown whether the DMF was ever changed previously... Bleh. That's not thrilling. Oh well, like anything else, I'll figure it out when it needs to be figured out.
I suspect it won't need figuring out for a very, very long time. I've only heard of a handful of the dsg flywheels needing replaced.