www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI Power Enhancements

TDI Power Enhancements Discussions about increasing the power of your TDI engine. i.e. chips, injectors, powerboxes, clutches, etc. Handling, suspensions, wheels, type discussion should be put into the "Upgrades (non TDI Engine related)" forum. Non TDI vehicle related postings will be moved or removed. Please note the Performance Disclaimer.

Old November 4th, 2018, 14:57   #1
midnightoil
Veteran Member

Default how driveable is your 1756 turbo incl for tow?

Posted a similar thread in 101 section but maybe it's more relevant to where people have already modded things...

I'm considering a build based on a 1756 turbo upgrade (with power undecided but 'as high as 220hp') but was wondering if it's too big/too much. I want good driveability and MPG and manners not just power, I plan to tow also pretty darn heavy so if this would be a bad towing turbo please let me know.
midnightoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2018, 13:36   #2
Nevada_TDI
Veteran Member

I guess the most important question is which generation 1756 turbo are you planning on running in your build; the answer to your question can vary based on turbo generation. Your tune will limit boost, so boost will not be an option but spooling very likely will be.
2001 Jetta GL TDI, Tinted, Ventectomy, Catectomy, EGR-ectomy, TDTuning, HIFLO .216's, Stealth 17/56 Garrett, VCDS Hex+CAN, South Bend Daily Driver 2 Clutch, DG Short Shifter, Frostheater, Baldwin Fuel Filter, Previous Diesel: 1983 Rabbit Diesel
Nevada_TDI is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2018, 13:46   #3
sltlytwkd

TDI(s): 03 jetta
Fuel Economy: 39

I was at 210hp with my 1756 and it tows very nice but loses steam in the high rpms. I now have a 2260, it has wayyyy more pull on the top end but still tows nice all the way around. I hope you have a good clutch because the 1756 comes on quick and my stage 2 daily couldn't hang on when I was towing if my foot got heavy.
Old November 18th, 2018, 07:44   #4
midnightoil
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevada_TDI View Post
I guess the most important question is which generation 1756 turbo are you planning on running in your build; the answer to your question can vary based on turbo generation. Your tune will limit boost, so boost will not be an option but spooling very likely will be.
Well the build is still on paper for now, so i'm curious what are the generational differences?

The 1756 sounds big enough for even if I get greedy (in my mind) for power, but I wanted to be sure I could still tugboat around heavy things because practicality comes first, sporty driving fun (and reserve tow power) comes second. Was also suggested as stronger/more able to handle sustained power output abuse of towing against wind resistance.

If anyone else tows with a 1756 turbo i'd love to hear them chime in, including if there's ever a case where it seems either too big or too small.
Old November 21st, 2018, 06:11   #5
Votblindub
Veteran Member

Subscribing to this, since i've got a gtb1756vk with a built motor

Sprint 520 Nozzles, 2.5 inch catless mufflerless BuzzKen exhaust, Malone stage 3 chip, 01M, Frostheater Full details
Full details
FB page for wagon lovers I have VAGCOM/VCDS
Votblindub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2018, 08:25   #6
IndigoBlueWagon
TDIClub Enthusiast
Principal IDParts
Vendor
w/Business number

Fuel Economy: 50/45/37

My biggest concern would be EGTs when towing. When I towed with my 17/22 and RC6 EGTs would skyrocket if you tried to use the power.
Old November 21st, 2018, 13:33   #7
turbobrick240
Veteran Member

Yeah, it would be cool if you could select from different tunes like in the diesel trucks. My truck has 6 tunes to choose from just by turning a switch. One of the tunes is specifically for towing w/ a modest power increase. I actually use that setting most of the time.
turbobrick240 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2018, 01:23   #8
FRtdilover

Fuel Economy: 40-45 mpg

It's possible with EDC15 ! Search "multimap" on YouTube search bar
Tuners can do it then you'll be able to choose between 3 different maps by pressing clucth lever + cruse control button
FRtdilover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2018, 14:56   #9
ducesrwld
Veteran Member

TDI(s): none

just got done with some pulling with my 2056vk like ibw said have to worry more about egts than the drivability factor these gtbs are great all around turbos I wouldn't hesitate to go bigger with mine and dump the 2260 in there and still tow with it.
Old November 30th, 2018, 04:51   #10
3L3M3NT
Veteran Member

Instead of settling for a 10 year old turbo, maybe you should look into getting a GTD1752VRK or a GTD1756VRK that will spool faster and have just as much power, if not more.

Here are a few options.
Here's the factory GTD1752VRK which is good for 210hp.
http://www.turbo-upgrade.com/produse...9tdi-2wd/2136/

Or you can get the upgraded GTD1756VRK, which is good for 230hp.
https://gottuned.com/product/gtd1756...ck-1-9-2-0tdi/

Then if you want more power yet, you could look into a GTD2060VZK that's good for 270hp. That would require some customization to get that turbo to work.

If you do decide to go with a GTB series turbo, look into the turbos that Pioneering Performance is offering.
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=493912

Good luck with figuring out what turbo to go with. I'm going to be upgrading my turbo sometime in the future and will be following along to see which turbo you go with.
Firefox fix
RTDI Build Thread
3L3M3NT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2018, 17:35   #11
sltlytwkd

And another thing, I've driven my car hard its entire life. The 1756 didnt take long before it started pushing oil. (Like a year or less if I remember correctly) I have a couple buddies with the same problem using the 1756. The 2260 gets driven harder along with lots of water/meth at times, and is still perfect after a year. The 2260 seems much more robust over the 1756. Go big right away, you wont regret it.
Old December 6th, 2018, 17:49   #12
sltlytwkd

Scaled 6,800 lbs..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20170619_172643.jpg (97.4 KB, 19 views)
Old December 7th, 2018, 16:17   #13
TDIMeister
Phd of TDIClub Enthusiast
Moderator at Large

TDI(s): TDI

Whatever frame size you choose - 17/20/22 - it mostly boils down to an exercise of the compromise between low-end torque and transient response.

Regardless, go with the latest possible generation turbo you can get at your chosen frame size. There are stepwise improvements to be had GTD > GTC > GTB > GTA > GT.

And avoid "Frankenstein" or DIY/vendor-cobbled hybrids and go with a full OEM solution if you want the turbo to last.

TDIMeister's German-imported 1998 Audi A4 Avant TDI quattro

Are you receiving unwelcome sales solicitations or inappropriate, harassing messages in your PM? You can report them by pressing the image on the top right of the message in a similar way as reporting inappropriate posts.

Last edited by TDIMeister; December 7th, 2018 at 16:20.
TDIMeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2018, 23:27   #14
midnightoil
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3L3M3NT View Post
Instead of settling for a 10 year old turbo, maybe you should look into getting a GTD1752VRK or a GTD1756VRK that will spool faster and have just as much power, if not more.

Good luck with figuring out what turbo to go with. I'm going to be upgrading my turbo sometime in the future and will be following along to see which turbo you go with.
Newer is fine, this is all early paper research for a future build anyway. I budget out future upgrades for a vehicle on paper and plan before I even buy the car it's for. :-P I'm aware that turbo upgrades (according to the FAQ) are not considered a good 'value' for just the raw power but part of the economics is meant to be improved towing durability at the same time.

My turbo buying is at least a year off though assuming I try to get the car next summer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sltlytwkd View Post
And another thing, I've driven my car hard its entire life. The 1756 didnt take long before it started pushing oil.
I don't mind going bigger IF it's actually stronger, i'm just afraid of going too big and losing low end torque. What made me say 1756 to begin with was several people advising that as a good compromise size based on what I was saying about towing.

If I can go to a bigger turbo, push more air, have cooler EGT, and it still tows heavy weights fine getting it started and all that, then that's an option too. It just sounds like I shouldn't go smaller. But at some point too big is too big. Like i'm wondering if I tuned for 125-145hp of fuel at the beginning would a 1756 be too much turbo? If so I better plan to do it all as a package at the same time instead of an early upgrade.

Plus I might buy used from someone else's upgrade project so I was trying to figure out a range of possible turbo options to contemplate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDIMeister View Post
Whatever frame size you choose - 17/20/22 - it mostly boils down to an exercise of the compromise between low-end torque and transient response.

Regardless, go with the latest possible generation turbo you can get at your chosen frame size. There are stepwise improvements to be had GTD > GTC > GTB > GTA > GT.

And avoid "Frankenstein" or DIY/vendor-cobbled hybrids and go with a full OEM solution if you want the turbo to last.
Thanks for the suggestion. Mostly I was trying to figure out for instance what is the minimum horsepower that a 1756 turbo still works at without falling off a cliff, ie how early in a power upgrade should I add it. If I can do it all at once (injectors, turbo, etc) that's easier, if I cant I was wondering if I can progressively upgrade starting with the turbo to get cooler EGT's.