Final drive oil check/topping up

Janusz

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf 2000
I've searched for this info but no success. How do I pull this speedo/dipstick to check my final drive oil level on auto?

Is it the one with a black plastic square top and the electric wire? The access is very tight and I do not want to break anything.

bowlerman

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 jetta tdi black
The oil level is checked with the transmission installed

The difference between Min. and Max. is 0.1 liters. Excess oil can be drawn off using the extraction system V.A.G 1358 A.

Work sequence

- Remove speedometer drive shaft and clean using a cloth.
- Install and remove speedometer drive shaft, check oil level on shaft and, if necessary correct, oil level.
Final drive oil level must be between Min./Max.

min and max and at the end of the tip. the tip is min and where the shaft changes size is max. this is for a 4 speed auto 01m tranny

weedeater

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta, 2001, Baltic Green
iirc, the level has to be checked at a certian temperature. So you need a Vagcom to give you the temperature reading.

Janusz

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf 2000
[ QUOTE ]

- Remove speedometer drive shaft and clean using a cloth.

[/ QUOTE ]

And right here is where I have a problem;
HOW TO REMOVE THIS SPEEDO SHAFT?
I did locate it on the top of transmission (I think that is the one, difficult access, the black plastic looking cap)but should I just pull on it, unscrew or what? I tried with my fingers but it does not budge.

Anybody did it, please? /images/graemlins/confused.gif

C16H34Addict

TDI
Golf, 1999.5, Black
My O1M is sitting on a table in my driveway right now. I had to get it pulled to replace the torque converter oil seal which malfunctioned and let all the juice out. (About 100,000 miles on it.) While the trans is out I want to replace the filter and jack up the little clicker a few clicks. And I planned to replace the final drive fluid also.

So tomorrow I'll try to unscrew the speedo drive and take a look. Meanwhile, I cannot find a drain for the final drive. So do I pull the cover off the end (don't want to and don't have a gasket on hand) or suck out with a suction tool (trans is cold, and I really want the settled out gook that may be on the bottom), or turn unit over and pour out the speedo sender hole (again, cold trans and gook will have to run over all the gears and bearings), or just top it off? Perhaps a flashlight and a sampling will help decide.

Depending on my mood after this operation, I will try to report my findings.