Damaged TDI Heater Power Cord

TWSTDVW

Veteran Member
TDI
2k Golf GlS
I had the excess of the power cord tucked away in my bumper until I lost it during the last long road trip. There is still some cord coming from the heater, but I lost most of it and the plug. Does anyone know of a replacement that can be attached? Called FrostHeater, but they currently don't have any replacements. Thanks.

jcrews

Top Post Dawg
TDI
All gone
You could get a new heating element from a P&T parts dealer (or an entire new heater) for about $40.

Or, you could just repair the wire with some weatherproof butt splices (the kind you heat up), extension cord, and mastic/weatherproof tape. Even with a new e-cord all the parts should be about $7-10.

Curious Chris

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta Wagon 2003 RIP Rockford IL
Perfect time to upgrade your engine heater by adding a Marinco power inlet. You drill a hmmm 1 1/8 hole in the driver side vent on the fender and install this: http://www.boatersworld.com/product/196740658.htm?bct=t13098025%3Bcielectrical-boat%3Bcishore-power%3Bciadapters-plugs-outlets. It is $20.00 but you both fix your current issue and improve your setup. On my car I just cut off the perfectly good plug and soldered the connections to the power inlet.

Oh it is a boating power inlet so it has a cover that snaps over it. When you want to "plug it in", you push the extension cord over the connections that are now mounted on your car.

Yeah here is the thread that describes what I am talking about: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=117822&highlight=Marinco

Last edited:

SyntorX9000

TDI
2002 JETTA GLS TDI
If its a 2 wire power cord like AC you should be able to buy a plug and some wire at the hardware store. You can use butt splices but I prefer a chemical bond like solder. A repaired breach isn't always a degradation in quality or effectiveness unless its done wrong.