i'm an idiot.

whitebelly

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 JSW
i\'m an idiot.

i ran out of gas last night on rt 78.
kudos for VW roadside assistance!
i had to wait for an hour and a half, but i didn't have to pay for the fuel!
although, the guy brought my 2.5 gallons of diesel in a "gas" can. i was cringing.

so, my fuel line was completely dry, and once i had some fuel in the tank, i had to crank the engine for a couple of minutes before it would kick over. how much damage did i do?

my car really ran like crap for while. i don't know if it was because the lines had bubbles, or if i was cooking off some gas sludge from that can, but i filled up with some premium diesel this morning, and all seems fine.

fyi, i got 616 miles out of that tank.

mavapa

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 golf
Re: i\'m an idiot.

The rough running is almost certainly because of air in the lines. I wouldn't worry a bit about that, especially since it's running OK now.

Hmmm. 616 miles on the tank? I'm expecting to get over 700 on this tank, since I am on travel this week and don't want to buy diesel where it's 20 cents/gallon more than at home. I have done 700 miles before, and the fuel gauge is encouraging.

whitebelly

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 JSW

i do ALOT of city driving, and the air temp here in jersey has been really hot lately.
last week we were in the 90's. so, i had the AC on alot too.
616 is one of my best tanks ever.

golfstream

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf, 2000, Black

WB,

You have an automatic or stick?

Now, tell the truth. You didn't really run out of fuel in a TDI, did you?

I shouldn't laugh. I may do it myself one day. BTW, I see you got the correct exterior and interior colors on your Golf.

Mel

whitebelly

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 JSW

mel,
it's a manual, and i'm not kidding. i really did run out of gas.
the problem is when you're on the highway, the fuel gauge needle floats a little higher than it should. i was only 15 miles from my favorite diesel station.
black on black, yup. it's my signature color.

weasel

Deactivated Member Account
TDI
None.

Whitebelly, you might want to consider changing the fuel filter. Sucking all that crap off the bottom of the tank might have plugged her a bit. Cheap insurance anyways ...

M

mickey

There is no such thing as "sucking crap out of the bottom of the tank." The fuel is drawn from the bottom of the tank all the time. You know, "gravity" and all that nonsense.

-mickey

sprattyken

Veteran Member
TDI
Volvo V70 D5 Auto

Just ran out too. As this is my first diesel, I also got a bit concerned at the cranking. Took about a minute.
Managed 860 miles with a Golf 5 Dr GTTDI 110 (55 litre tank).
7 short of the latest 110 record. See economy section.

Matt

whitebelly

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 JSW

i was more concerned with damaging the injector pump. but now, the car feels as good as usual.
anyway, the fuel filter gets changed in 2k miles.