86 Jetta diesel - what's it worth roughly

glasseye

TDI
none, yet
Four door, turbo diesel. Dunno what engine, I'm a total newb here. Body shows some rust *spots* nothing big. It's done about 200K miles.

What's it worth in round figures?

addicted

TDI
2004 Touareg TDI
I don'tk now. Saw one on craigslist for 250 yesterday :) sounds like a good deal to me...might be a bit of a drive to NC though.

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
I am not sure what the rated miles on TBs for the earlier model VW Diesel is. But, I do own and have owned several of them. I always changed the TB at about 100k miles. The TB is easier to change as well as the water pump.

The 1986 Jetta come with a 1.6 engine, hydrualic lifters (similar to the TDI). The tensioners on those engines is not like the tensioner for a TDI.

PDJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'04 Jetta GLS TDI Pumpe Duce Platinum Grey w/ Leather
The T-Belt replacement interval on the VW IDI 1.6 Liter Diesel/turbodiesel is 60,000 miles. My guess is that the cost to replace is about $500. It was $750 in the Washington, DC area, last time I checked! I always replaced mine myself. It takes some special tools to replace it.

If its in decent shape, at today's inflated prices, expect to pay $2,500 - $3,500 Plus! Also remember, even if in decent shape and running, you can easily sink $2,000 - 3,000 to get it in real decent/dependable shape.

The engines and injection pumps tend to need overhauling in the 200,000 - 250,000 mile range. Then, you may have to replace the injectors, suspension, etc. You need to find out what has been replaced and when!

Also, if this car came from where road salt is used, rust may be a BIG issue in a few years on it.

--Nate

Last edited:

glasseye

TDI
none, yet
PDJetta said:
The T-Belt replacement interval on the VW IDI 1.6 Liter Diesel/turbodiesel is 60,000 miles. My guess is that the cost to replace is about $500. It was $750 in the Washington, DC area, last time I checked! I always replaced mine myself. It takes some special tools to replace it.

If its in decent shape, at today's inflated prices, expect to pay $2,500 - $3,500 Plus! Also remember, even if in decent shape and running, you can easily sink $2,000 - 3,000 to get it in real decent/dependable shape.

The engines and injection pumps tend to need overhauling in the 200,000 - 250,000 mile range. Then, you may have to replace the injectors, suspension, etc. You need to find out what has been replaced and when!

Also, if this car came from where road salt is used, rust may be a BIG issue in a few years on it.

--Nate
Excellent advice, Nate. Exactly what I was looking for. Thanks a bunch.
It does come from wintersaltland and it does show pin dots of rust.:mad:

mavapa

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 golf
The rust is the biggest problem in general, at least in my opinion. I had a similar model that was one of the best cars I ever had. I bought it with 140,000 miles and it went lots more than that before I wrecked it. It never burned a bit of oil and consistently got 50 mpg. But, after all, it's getting to be a pretty old car, which is an invitation for repair/maintenance expense.

PDJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'04 Jetta GLS TDI Pumpe Duce Platinum Grey w/ Leather
I was estimating in US dollars too! It can get to be a very expensive and time consuming project, unless the previous owner was maticulous about maintenance and took care of the real expensive items.

One other item: The odometers on almost every one of the Jettas from this era don't work. The drive gear cracks and slips on its shaft. Not a too bad of a repair, if you know how to do it, but this car may have a lot more than 200,000 Kms on it!

--Nate