Cargo/storage rant!

jason_

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 s wagon dsg
OK, the 09 was slick.

Fold up 2/3 cover, mini storage, life that, spare tire.

Also with everything in place, small pull string to get the 1/3 compartment up behind the seats.

This '15, lift the 2/3, spare tire, and all 3 sections need to be unlocked first, then removed to get to the little 1/3 up front.

Stupid! In my opinion. I saved everything from the old car, maybe someday I'll try and make it work.

Anyone else a bit against this new style?

Sent from my One using Tapatalk

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
I wish the rear side compartments had higher removable walls, or that they could be installed when the sun shade was stowed. I have them sliding around in the back now.

jason_

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 s wagon dsg
Is that what the cutouts are for? That shade can collapse a bit more narrower and sit down under the 3pc fold?

Blue_Hen_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
owned: 96 B4V, 06 Golf, 12 NMS, 15 GSW
I just bought the GSW last week and ordered the OEM rear window shade set from the UK, so hopefully I'll be able to picture what you're describing in a couple of weeks. Having not owned a MK6 wagon, I have no point of comparison. Sometimes ignorance is bliss, because it doesn't look like a bad system to me.

jason_

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 s wagon dsg
My coworker still has his 09. I'll see if I can get some pictures. He's not club member. He hates computers. He's am older gent.

dubStrom

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 A4 Jetta (sold), 2010 JSW (sold), 2013 Passat 6MT traded for 2014 JSW with 6MT-TOTALED in November 2016, 2003 ALH 5MT conversion (sold), wheezing 2015 GSW/DSG and a new 2021 Tacoma Access Cab 4x4 p'up
Much less space!

I've noticed it. Hard not to!

1. NO more drop down sunglasses compartment on my new 2015 GSW, and
2. NO space under the driver's seat, and
3. I do like the Fender subwoofer, but there went that space, AND
4. The left compartment in the cargo area, where the TIRE CHANGING equipment went! Gee. It all adds up, doesn't it?

The really unfortunate loss is that 2-3 gallons in the fuel tank scrunched down to make room for the DEF tank. That's real bad. -100 miles range right there!

dubStrom

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 A4 Jetta (sold), 2010 JSW (sold), 2013 Passat 6MT traded for 2014 JSW with 6MT-TOTALED in November 2016, 2003 ALH 5MT conversion (sold), wheezing 2015 GSW/DSG and a new 2021 Tacoma Access Cab 4x4 p'up
And...

I forgot the space for the manual in the glove compartment above the main pocket! And I didn't even get car play! CD-slot used to be in the radio head on my 2014. Gee. Glasses pocket, manual pocket, under driver seat area, left bin in the back (jack), spare tire area (subwoofer), and 100 miles less range. Hmmm?

dubStrom

Veteran Member
TDI
I have the sunroof and that means no sunglasses slot. I will look for the drawer. I probably have that. Only 500 miles on it, and still in discovery mode:D

Blue_Hen_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I have the sunroof and that means no sunglasses slot. I will look for the drawer. I probably have that. Only 500 miles on it, and still in discovery mode:D
I have S trim. If you have a fancy pants 120-way adjustable aviator chair then you lose the drawer. :D

jason_

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 s wagon dsg
The 2 gallon tank shortage is a bummer, I agree. Ive only filled one tank, and it was a lot of sloppy driving and idling.

I was told from sales it was longer, axle to axle its shorter then the 09!

According to the car seat behind me strapped in, with my ass to toe measurements, it feels shorter as well.

My legs are cramped, and I have to fight the car seat in, or adjust the front seats forward, set in car seat so it locks, then ram the front seats back like an Olympic toboggan ready stance...

Blue_Hen_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
One thing I agree with is that while upper body room is fairly generous in the Mk7, legroom can be a challenge for some. I do find myself readjusting my right leg away from the center divider which seems to impose a bit.

Oddly, my steering wheel is a bit off center on its own spindle. When the car is tracking straight, the wheel is at about 11:55am. It's very close, but I think they put it on one notch to the left. I'll be pulling out the airbag module and centering the wheel this weekend.

dubStrom

Veteran Member
TDI
I have S trim. If you have a fancy pants 120-way adjustable aviator chair then you lose the drawer. :D
I just have the seats with manual lift/drop and electric recline, and I do have the drawer. It's tiny compared to the under seat storage room I had on my 2014 JSW.

I am going to look into removing the drawer. I used to stored my camera and a spare roll of TP there ;)

Neither fit in that little drawer. I just leave my sunglasses by the shifter now.

kevkor2002

TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagen, 2002 Honda S2000
Man...I guess its all perspective. Coming from my Fit the GSW has a S-ton of storage and compartment. I have the S with the glasses holder and the underseat. I love both.

I need to test fit my G-17 in that seat drawer ;)

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
I stopped using the sunglasses storage in my 2010 when the door wouldn't stay closed. No biggie if I were to loose that.

Blue_Hen_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Same for me. But mine is at 12:03. It's JUST off.
That's got to just be laziness on the assembly line. I switched steering wheels on my GTI, and there are centering marks on both the wheel and the spindle to line up. They're very small but they're there.

Looked like so on my GTI:

Last edited:

adjat84th

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 Jetta TDI/'15 Golf TDI
Golf SEL does have a sunglass holder by the sunroof controls, not sure why the wagons don't have the same just because of the Pano vs regular sunroof? SEL also doesn't have underseat storage because of the different seat, but there is plenty of door pocket space for me!

jason_

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 s wagon dsg
My venture #5 cutting shades wouldn't fit in the 09 overhead sunglasses holder.

Fits in this 15, but must sit with lens facing windshield.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
I've noticed it. Hard not to!

2. NO space under the driver's seat, and
Our Alltrack has the understorage seat plus drivers dash cubby. Parts should be out there to help you out.