Stage II torque converter

xerootg

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk7 Golf Sportwagen, BHW Jeep XJ
Cascade has recently released a stage 2 torque converter. Mine has decided that it needs a seal, and so I am in for a rebuild. Has anyone done a higher stall torque converter on a TDI?

Zambee500

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat TDI GLS, 2014 NMS Passat TDI SEL Premium
Interesting. Seems to be about the same cost as OE from the online dealerships.

What does a higher stall speed do for us?

Is the higher stall speed all that makes it "stage 2" compared to OE?

Who makes (or remans/rebuilds) this "stage 2" torque converter?

johnboy00

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat Wagon, 2004 Jetta, 2003 Jetta wagon
Price includes a $500 core charge so the real cost is only about $600.

Someone on here posted about an upgraded TC a few years ago, and may have bought one. Try doing a search.

xerootg

Veteran Member
TDI
I actually found one site that said basically that any higher stall torque converter for a TDI was built with parts from a gasser torque converter but I couldn't find any details as to performance increase or reliability improvements.

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
2015 Golf SE SportWagen, 2015 Golf SE Hatch Back.
Why don't you just call Cascade and talk to Aaron? He doesn't sell junk...

xerootg

Veteran Member
TDI
Why don't you just call Cascade and talk to Aaron? He doesn't sell junk...
I get ya on that, I'm not implying that at all. I caught Aaron at the end of the day a couple days ago and have not had the time to call back and get details. I was hoping someone on here had experience with it.

MagnumVW

TDI
2001 Golf TDI 200k
Don't quote me on this, but my father has done a lot of business with Frank06 here on the forums, and when I bought my BHW Passat (05) he told me that Frank06 has a beefier aftermarket torque converter that he sells for less than $300. I don't know any of the specifics about it, but you may want to reach out to Frank06 to see if that's an option for you.

xerootg

Veteran Member
TDI
Franko6 does offer a rebuild service. I'm not clear on what sort of upgrade it is beyond a thorough cleaning and new seals. I have got home from work too late the last couple days to call Aaron back.

d0u8l3m

Veteran Member
TDI
B5.5 Passat
I just called Cascade and spoke to Aaron, and first off, man he is an awesome help! Definitely a place you wanna do business with.

Basically he said that its a stock converter that is rebuilt with a higher stall speed, that is matched with the torque curve of a tuned engine. He told me that he has had these for a long time but hasn't had them up on the site, he used them on two of his personal cars as well. His car was run with a Malone 1.5 tune with this converter and ran great, according to him. He had the car for 4 years but I forgot to ask if that was all 4 years with the tune, or how many miles.

IMO, from our conversation, this would be something you want if you really really want to keep the automatic, you'd get this with a mild Malone 1.5 tune and wake up the car. I'm guessing you still shouldn't beat on the car since its still a slush box, but doubt you would have to with the extra "umphf". He said it pretty much eliminates the crazy amount of turbo lag these cars have stock too. Either way he's definitely got me considering this instead of a manual swap. I'f i get a manual I'm gonna go crazy with power mods and get speeding tickets anyways haha, this pretty much wakes up the speed and responsiveness of the car as it should be.

If you have more questions feel free to give them a call, they will definitely help you!

imo000

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 M-B ML320 Diesel & '05 Passat TDI Manual 5-Speed
Higher stall converters are not really practical on a daily driven car. Stick with a stock stall one.

vwztips

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat GLS Wagon TDI 5 spd manual w/BSM delete 2011 Tiguan TDI/DSG 2005 Audi A4 Avant 6MQ TDI 2011 BMW X5 35d
Fyi, if you have "crazy amount of turbo lag" you may have another issue. Usually not a problem even with stock cars. If there is lag it is the automatic figuring out what to do from your right foot.

d0u8l3m

Veteran Member
TDI
B5.5 Passat
Fyi, if you have "crazy amount of turbo lag" you may have another issue. Usually not a problem even with stock cars. If there is lag it is the automatic figuring out what to do from your right foot.
My right foot can be pretty dam heavy at times ;)

But seriously at a stop sometimes ill give it about 50% throttle and i have to wait a second or two for the car to be like "oh hey I get it you wanna go now" No lights or any codes though and I know the engine/turbo are fine, i did think it was mainly from the transmission so you're prolly right.

Planning a manual swap now anyways after talking to Mike over at 413 Auto. For the price in components and labor its the only logical choice imo unless you're doing your own work. Plus better mpg for the most part and better performance.

BleachedBora

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
'81 DMC-12, '15 GL350 CDI 275 hp/448 tq - '81 Caddy CJAA, '05 E320 CDI 250hp/450 tq, '23 ID4 AWD Pro S Plus
The only drawback is when you have to have an auto - my wife's car was the BHW. She has few weaknesses. One is she refuses to drive a manual. Hers and my VP's wife's Passat were our first stage 2 TC install. I really did like the higher stall speed. We're putting together another listing for a stock stall speed for those that want to do so.

YMMV,
-BB

johnboy00

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat Wagon, 2004 Jetta, 2003 Jetta wagon
My right foot can be pretty dam heavy at times ;)

But seriously at a stop sometimes ill give it about 50% throttle and i have to wait a second or two for the car to be like "oh hey I get it you wanna go now" No lights or any codes though and I know the engine/turbo are fine, i did think it was mainly from the transmission so you're prolly right.

Planning a manual swap now anyways after talking to Mike over at 413 Auto. For the price in components and labor its the only logical choice imo unless you're doing your own work. Plus better mpg for the most part and better performance.
Did you recode the transmission to Sport mode?

http://www.passatworld.com/forums/v...tronic-sports-mode-enabling-instructions.html