oil level light on 2015

faultymechanics

Veteran Member
TDI
1992 Jetta Ecodiesel, 2015 Jetta TDI SEL
Hi!

I have a 2015 tdi sel coming up on its next oil change. I'm at about 18500 miles. Today when I got the car from the valet at the hotel the oil level light came on at the top of my mfi screen.

The car status section says to check my oil level. Is this something I should just take to the dealer now? Since the light sometimes comes on then goes away my guess is the level is just below the sensor. I will obviously check the oil level she. The car has cooled down but is this something I need to worry about? Like drive 45 min to the dealer tomorrow?

Thanks fellas and fellettes.

faultymechanics

Veteran Member
TDI
Just realized I didn't post this in the Jetta section. If it needs to be moved would a mod so kindly adjust its location?

jetlagmech

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 jetta
I wouldn't drive 45 minutes so a dealer could charge me to check my oil level and add some. I would think this falls under the owner responsibility to do unless the level is not actually low and there is a fault in the level sensing system. you really should check your oil level every few fillups. I do mine every fill up.

faultymechanics

Veteran Member
TDI
I agree it isn't a big deal to check and add oil. Problem is this car is brand new it shouldn't be using enough oil to trigger that light. It didn't during the previous 10000 miles before the oil change. Definitely shouldn't be burning oil. In fact one could surmise the level would be higher due to soot being in the oil and taking up a bit more space.

My car is also under warranty for a while so this would all be free through the dealer.

n1das

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2014 BMW 535xd ///M-Sport, 2012 BMW X5 Xdrive35d, former 3x TDI owner
Low oil LEVEL or low oil PRESSURE?? :confused:

If low oil pressure due to the level being low enough for the oil pump to suck air instead of oil from the pan, damage from no oil may already be done. :eek: Check oil level ASAP! :eek:

Good luck.

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium (Turned in 7/7/18)
A low oil level, per se, is not a dealer responsibility, nor a warranty issue. Oil is a consumable. A car may consume none, or it may consume some. Every manufacturer, in the fine print, has an amount of oil consumption they consider "normal."
The reason the manual contains instructions on how to check the oil level is an indicator that this is, indeed, as "jetlagmech" and "n1das" point out, an owner responsibility. Personally, I wouldn't even start the thing until I had checked the oil. If it's full on the dipstick but showing the light, that's a good indicator of either no oil pressure or a bad sensor. I'd go with the worst-case scenario and call AAA for a tow into the dealer. No way I'd drive it.

{Warning: possibly relevant anecdote follows}

We drove our Passat for over 35K miles and it used NO oil. Then one day I checked it (which I do weekly) and it was down a bit, took about 4 oz. to top it up. Why? Who knows, but it's almost at 40K now and once again, and in the interim it hasn't used any more.

Last edited:

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Jetta wagon DSG 08/08 205k buyback 1/8/18; replaced with 2017 Golf Wagon 4mo 1.8l CXBB
2015 will also complain about too much oil.

check the dipstick. now.

if you do not know how, read the owners manual.

dmarsingill

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Sportwagen Turned in , 2000 Z3 Coupe, 2003 Ford Expedition
If it definitely says check oil level...not the oil pressure, check the oil and top it off to where it normally runs. Take it to the dealer to check for leaks or consumption.

The 2015's were known to trigger the oil level too high light after the first oil change due to overfilling. Is this what you are seeing?

If I were you, I would check the oil after every oil change, and then every fueling for a while to monitor your normal level and usage.

Donald

faultymechanics

Veteran Member
TDI
Sp I checked the level this morning before heading to work. Engine was cold so ill check it again after I reach work.

Anyway I cleaned the dipstick reinserted it and the very bottom piece, D, was covered and everything including, A. Now I'm guessing this means I'm too high. Kinda strange I'm just having this issue 8k after the oil change.

I'll also note sections a,b, and c were coated much much lighter than D but they definitely had oil on them.

Any input would be great. I work on cars all the time, just not post 2000, lol.

faultymechanics

Veteran Member
TDI
Just got to work, checked the level at operating temp. Oil was again over part A. This time however, the car gave me no oil light or anything during the entire drive. Do I really need to drive the vw to the dealership 45 min away?

Is this a huge issue?

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
You have enough oil, certainly. If I possessed the means to extract a bit through the dipstick tube, I'd do that to bring it down to the correct level. Then I would make sure it didn't get overfilled the next OC.

faultymechanics

Veteran Member
TDI
You have enough oil, certainly. If I possessed the means to extract a bit through the dipstick tube, I'd do that to bring it down to the correct level. Then I would make sure it didn't get overfilled the next OC.

When I put the dipstick in the tube I felt slight resistance and like I was hitting maybe some springs or something that are built into the tube. Seeing as how it doesn't seem like a smooth open tube into the pan like a small block is, would it be a bad idea to shove a small hose down there and suck some oil out?

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
When I put the dipstick in the tube I felt slight resistance and like I was hitting maybe some springs or something that are built into the tube. Seeing as how it doesn't seem like a smooth open tube into the pan like a small block is, would it be a bad idea to shove a small hose down there and suck some oil out?
People routinely do OCs on these cars using the extraction method through the dipstick tube. I would therefore say "yes." Or, responding to your question, I would do it.

JDenyer232

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Jetta TDI S
Also be aware that running to high a percentage of biodiesel will make the oil level rise due to oil dilution. The DPF regen process injects quite a bit of extra fuel and some of that washes into the crankcase oil. Regular D2 is volatile enough that it will boil out, biodiesel won't. Also a lot of short trips can cause the oil level to rise as the oil never gets hot enough to boil out the fuel, even if it's straight D2. Hope this helps.

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Jetta wagon DSG 08/08 205k buyback 1/8/18; replaced with 2017 Golf Wagon 4mo 1.8l CXBB
if you think it is leaking oil from what the dealer did, you might want them to fix it.

if you think the oil is from sloppy work (say letting the oil filter removal drain oil all over the place) then you could be safe to skip it and wait till next time.

have you at least pulled up the engine cover and given a good look-see with a flashlight?

faultymechanics

Veteran Member
TDI
Definitely isn't leaking oil. Also I never have used Bio-Diesel nor do I ever plan on using Bio-Diesel. I also exclusively take long trips. Sure there are short trips to the store but my commute to work is 35 miles and I just took a +200 mile trip to Portland Maine and back yesterday.

I will possibly try to extract some oil, if it isn't a big deal having extra oil in there (my guess due to the soot in the oil) I will wait the 1400 miles til my next oil change.

JDenyer232

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Jetta TDI S
Definitely isn't leaking oil. Also I never have used Bio-Diesel nor do I ever plan on using Bio-Diesel. I also exclusively take long trips. Sure there are short trips to the store but my commute to work is 35 miles and I just took a +200 mile trip to Portland Maine and back yesterday.

I will possibly try to extract some oil, if it isn't a big deal having extra oil in there (my guess due to the soot in the oil) I will wait the 1400 miles til my next oil change.
If it is indeed over full then I would just suck some out to get the level back to normal. I can't remember the exact reason but I believe TDI's don't take kindly to being overfilled, maybe it increases oil consumption and causes the DPF to clog sooner with ash? Taking long trips and no biodiesel? Hmmm, maybe overfilled from the place that did the oil change?

touaregv10tdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Beetle TDi,2000 Beetle TDi, 2016 BMW X5 Diesel, 2004 Touareg V10 TDi,2015 Beetle TDi, 2005 Jetta TDi
Oil Level

I think the Passat owner’s manual has a flaw.
I have a Passat 2015 TDi it has 8000 miles on it.
I did an oil change, much like I have done on my 2013 beetle, 2014 Jetta, 2005 Jetta all TDis. No problems following the amount of oil stated in the manual.
However for the Passat, the manual states the oil change will take 4.5 Qts, the first time I did an oil change on my Passat TDi I added 5 Qts, no leaks whatsoever, the car looks brand new everywhere, the oil light came on after a drive, I pull the dipstick after letting the car sit overnight, sure enough the oil was low.
I added almost a quart to bring it up to level marks. After that I drove 6 000 miles, oil is still on correct level.

Last edited:

Pilot91

TDI
2015 Jetta TDI SEL
I have had the same issue! I have a 2015 TDI SEL with only 1700 miles. I've brought it in three times so far. The first time they merely reset the light, the second they confirmed the oil was overfilled and drained some out...4 days later I'm back with the same issue. The dip stick showed again that the oil was too high.

Update:
The dealer seems to think the oil change was not completed by the dealer where I bought the car and it was overfilled.
An oil change was done, so hopefully that will take care of the issue.

Last edited: