P0470 - Exhaust Pressure Sensor

STRANGETDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Audi A3 S-Line Premium Plus Quattro - APR Stage II
In further reading, I am slightly confused. There is some agreement between the members here that the Bentley manual is incorrect, and that sensor #1 is actually the one above the oil fil and sensor #2 is to the left of the oil fill. This would make sense as most are replacing the one behind the oil fill. Can I get some verification on this? While the removal and replacement is similar in both cases, I would rather do it once.

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Jetta wagon DSG 08/08 205k buyback 1/8/18; replaced with 2017 Golf Wagon 4mo 1.8l CXBB
go under the hood and disconnect one of the sensors (the easiest one to get to)

then get your vcds out and look around, run a scan, read some values...

VCDS will then verify which one you disconnected.

it seems like they switched sometime in production, but I only have one car.

(which matches the bentley manual)

STRANGETDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Replaced the sensor behind the oil cap. That spring clamp was a *****. I purchased flexible, locking, clamp pliers just for this purpose. Worked well.

1. Remove old sensor and install new sensor.
2. Do not start the car, but turn the key or press Kessy once to turn the car to the accessory on position.
3. Open VCDS.
4. Clear old error codes
5. Run the adaptation:

01- Engine
- Coding II-11(a list of codes will come up with a note about the sensor adaptation; read it)
--Start Exhaust Pressure Sensor Adaptation - type in code: 30605
Do it!
It should say Login Successful if you did it right. I guess it is instantaneous, because it doesn't tell you anything after that.

Also, read this from Ross-Tech (VCDS) before doing the work:

http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index.php/16855/P0471/001137

One thing to note from the website:

"With CBEA and CJAA engines, the factory documentation may show the wrong part location for the Exhaust Pressure Sensor 1 (G450). This sensor is in a foil pouch just behind the oil cap."

Last edited:

Mitchad

TDI
09 Jetta tdi
Passing NYS inspection with p0470 code

I need to get my 09 Jetta with around 130k miles inspected within the next two months so I stoped by a shop and saw if they could inspect it with the CEL on.. after running the code there was a p0470 that came up. After clearing it and driving it for all of 10 min the light came back on.

So the question is, do I just have to replace a sensor or is there something else going on that causes the difference in pressure?

Also, is the code what would prevent it from passing the NYS inspection?

STRANGETDI

Veteran Member
TDI
The code is for a bad sensor, typically the one behind the oil fill cap. Replace the sensor and do the adaptation with VCDS and you should be good to go. Not doing the adaptation could damage the sensor, from what I understand.

Mitchad

TDI
09 Jetta tdi
Would I have to take it to someone to have the adaptation done? And also would I get by replacing it and clearing the code then go have it inspected since that's all I need to accomplish from this?

STRANGETDI

Veteran Member
TDI
I would do the adaptation to be safe. CEL will go off and you should be good to go to get it inspected.

FYI - I added some info to post #93.

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
The code is for a bad sensor, typically the one behind the oil fill cap. Replace the sensor and do the adaptation with VCDS and you should be good to go. Not doing the adaptation could damage the sensor, from what I understand.
Would I have to take it to someone to have the adaptation done? And also would I get by replacing it and clearing the code then go have it inspected since that's all I need to accomplish from this?
In my experience (only 3 cars) and all my reading here - it is almost always the sensor behind the oil cap. I have never heard of the other one failing. I suspect it is related to the heat of regenerations.

Mitch: You should either take it to someone for the adaptation or have someone with VCDS come to where you are. I had a guy change his sensor and then drive to my house, I did the adaptation and everything worked. Therefore, it is apparently not critical that the adaptation be done before starting the car - but it should be done.
One more important note - you said "would I get by replacing it and clearing the code then go have it inspected?". Remember that anytime you reset fault codes, you have to drive around for a while (city and highway) to properly set the readiness bits. Clearing the fault code and then going for an inspection might not be enough (depending on how your state inspects cars).

Have Fun!

Don

STRANGETDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Hi all,

Since I replaced the sensor behind the oil cap, the CEL has not come back (knock on wood). I bought the sensor off ebay for $10.

Here is the listing for it for anyone who needs it.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/272580236789?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

It took a couple of weeks to get it, but so far I am happy with it. I definitely appears to be OEM and was worth the $10 gamble.

My old sensor is exactly the same with and is also "Made in Malaysia"

Mitchad

TDI
09 Jetta tdi
I bought a supposedly OEM sensor with the same part number as the sensor to the left of the oil cap because i could not read the one behind the oil cap 'which from reading they should be the same part number anyway' and ran the adaptation on it after clearing codes. Now i am getting two codes;

2 Faults Found:
001147 - Exhaust Pressure Sensor 2
P047B - 000 - Implausible Signal - MIL ON
Freeze Frame:
Fault Status: 11100000
Fault Priority: 2
Fault Frequency: 1
Reset counter: 255
Mileage: 212252 km
Time Indication: 0
Date: 2000.00.00
Time: 19:23:50

Freeze Frame:
RPM: 0 /min
Speed: 0.0 km/h
Temperature: 27.0°C
Temperature: 62.1°C
Temperature: 48.0°C
Pressure: -36 mbar
Pressure: -5 mbar

001147 - Exhaust Pressure Sensor 2
P047B - 000 - Implausible Signal
Freeze Frame:
Fault Status: 01100000
Time: 21:02:31

Freeze Frame:
Temperature: 26.1°C
Temperature: 69.3°C
Temperature: 60.0°C
Pressure: -59 mbar
Pressure: -26 mbar

I literaly only need this car to pass the NYS inspection (I was supposed to take it in in a could days) then i am good to go because ill be selling it back most likely this winter. Any ideas at all?

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
I bought a supposedly OEM sensor with the same part number as the sensor to the left of the oil cap because i could not read the one behind the oil cap 'which from reading they should be the same part number anyway' and ran the adaptation on it after clearing codes. Now i am getting two codes;

I literaly only need this car to pass the NYS inspection (I was supposed to take it in in a could days) then i am good to go because ill be selling it back most likely this winter. Any ideas at all?
It appears that you are not getting two codes, you are getting the same code twice.

The correct p/n for the sensor in a 2009 engine is 076 906 051A. The -B version is for 2010+ cars. If you used the correct part, I would check the connector and make sure it is secure. You could also try swapping the 2 sensors to see if the fault code changes. Did you get the sensor from a reputable source? You asked for ideas - these are the first ones I came up with.

Have Fun!

Don

P.S. Keep in mind that you will probably have to drive your car around a bit before the "readiness bits" are correctly set to pass inspection. You have to do this anytime you clear fault codes.

Mitchad

TDI
09 Jetta tdi
So I've checked everything else and the part number is correct and after clearing all codes and drove it for a bit.. everything is fine until the next time i turn the car back on and the light is back. I scanned it again and these two codes came up now along with two more listed below.

2 Faults Found:
001674 - ECM Power Relay Load Circuit
P068A - 000 - Opens Too Early - Intermittent
Freeze Frame:
Fault Status: 00100000
Mileage: 0 km

Freeze Frame:
Load: 0.0 %
Voltage: 0.00 V
Hex Value: 0xFF00
Bin. Bits: 00000000
Temperature: -90.0°C

001148 - Exhaust Pressure Sensor 2
P047C - 000 - Short to GND - MIL ON
Freeze Frame:
Fault Status: 11100000
Fault Frequency: 3
Mileage: 212259 km

Freeze Frame:
RPM: 161 /min
Temperature: 21.6°C
Temperature: 79.2°C
Temperature: 60.0°C
Pressure: 0 mbar
Pressure: -18 mbar

2 Faults Found:
01304 - Radio
004 - No Signal/Communication
Freeze Frame:
Fault Status: 01100100
Reset counter: 7
Time: 10:13:22

01044 - Control Module Incorrectly Coded
000 - - - Intermittent
Freeze Frame:
Fault Status: 00100000
Fault Priority: 1
Fault Frequency: 6
Time: 10:13:18

I took pictures of original codes before I mess with anything and they are the same so im really not sure what these ones are about.

Diesl

Veteran Member
TDI
'78 Golf Diesel (long gone); 2012 Jetta Sportwagen TDI w/ DSG
It looks like that sensor (or one of the two sensors) is not correctly plugged in electrically. First you got 'implausible signal', now you get 'short to ground'.

The other three codes might not affect your ability to pass inspection.