Mercedes E250 Bluetec

What interests you about this thread?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

ssamalin

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Mercedes E250 Blutec. Previously: 2006 Jetta TDI
Great city car right? Zips around with sure feet. How do you like your car so far?

*zepman

TDI
Former 2012 Passat TDI SEL Current: 2014 e250 Bluetec
so far so good, i'm a little annoyed by the door lock pegs on the door, wish i could remove them

ssamalin

Veteran Member
TDI
It's a theft concern? Kids getting loose? I never touch those pegs, never really noticed them. I lock unlock exclusively with my fob. Also, you seem to be maybe wary and not expecting much from the car ("so far, so good"). Any reason you're not as beaming as I am?

PS: I checked back in this thread. It was stated that changing the air filter meant moving aside the ECM, not while doing oil changes. Sorry for the miss info. I don't know if this info is correct either.

Last edited:

*zepman

TDI
Former 2012 Passat TDI SEL Current: 2014 e250 Bluetec
naah, it's Great to drive and i love driving it... maybe i didn't come across as being enthusiastic, but i can't see my self driving anything else in this price point

2004PassatTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Passat Sedan, 2016 E250 Sport
How'd the oil change go?
I have about 6,500 miles before the oil change is required. Will do it sooner.
Last tank lasted me 750 miles going back and forth to work. I peeked under the engine cover. Getting to the oil filter looks easy.
I'm liking the car more and more. Acceleration is very good for what I need it to do. Passing is not a problem at all. Even the Sport suspension is growing on me. Comfortable, but when you go into the corners hard, it firms up.

RebelTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Audi Q5 TDI, 2016 BMW 535d Xdrive
I have only read negative news regarding MB and diesels in the USA. They say sales of MB diesels are a small fraction of total MB sales, so they feel it isn't worth it. It may be that BMW and Jaguar are the only choices left.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
That's a shame, since Mercedes used to be the leader in diesel automobiles in the US.

ssamalin

Veteran Member
TDI
Or:

http://newscar2017.com/mercedes/2018-mercedes-benz-e250-elegant-luxury-car.html

is announced in a few months as I think it will from what I am reading about Mercedes working with CARB in 2017 and making enormous investments in clean diesel research. In any case, I won't need suicide watch since I am supremely satisfied with the 2014-16 E250BT and there are currently 11 of them on my search of the CPO on my app with about 25k miles selling for 10-15k less than what I paid new in 2015. I'm set for the foreseeable future, 2018s or not. I don't buy a car for a Navi, I buy it for a car, and in that Mercedes delivers 100%.

Last edited:

ssamalin

Veteran Member
TDI
Poll Results Are In: A+ Driving and Handling

Every owner here has spoken about what it's like to drive the E250BT and raved about it's handling and power. That includes myself, drivbiwire, *zepman, 2004PassatTDI, bobdfsh and camarones(GLK250BT). That's 6 out of 6 for thumbs way up. There was a lot of negative hearsay here by non-owners about what they "had been hearing and reading" about how this car drives. Well we've got our own impressive show of hands and it's clear this car handles and drives fantastically.

Last edited:

ssamalin

Veteran Member
TDI
What Owner/Drivers say about E250BT

Whoever panned the car didn't test drive it. Here's what owners/drivers say:

2004PassatTDI: I'm liking the car more and more. Acceleration is very good for what I need it to do. Passing is not a problem at all. Even the Sport suspension is growing on me. Comfortable, but when you go into the corners hard, it firms up.

*zepman: it's Great to drive and i love driving it... maybe i didn't come across as being enthusiastic, but i can't see my self driving anything else in this price point

bobdfsh: We love the car. Great for highway driving.

drivbiwire: Unless you have the Sport package in which case it out handles the performance Audi's.

Combine that with the 4-Matic and its game on!

Steering feel is programmed since its an Electrical power steering system, artificial feel if you will like an airplane. With the lane control it even gives wheel feedback pulses when you are getting near the lanes border (Car can see the lines on the road), it will then simulate rumble strips despite perfectly smooth pavement.

The handling is almost unnatural in terms of grip and cornering capability.

It handles very well, think sport sedan, not plush SUV. HP and torque are awesome at 201/369. Definitely enough to move this 2+ ton vehicle with brick-like aerodynamics.

On the 100 mile drive home from the dealer, including almost 2 hours of West LA traffic and several long open stretches I averaged 37.6 mpg.

My usual 40 mile r/t 2 hour daily commute has me around 31.5 mpg... Lots of traffic.

Camarones(GLK): I love this thing! I like the higher seating position, no-drama acceleration, tight handling and overall utility. The AC is very effective and serves the rear seats wel. The column shifter is little odd at first but it does clear up a lot of console space. I do miss the tracking HIDs from my Golf. Never thought I'd say this but In 22 years of driving this is my first automatic and I do not miss shifting.

ssamalin: combination big cat, rocket sled and luxury liner

Last edited:

Drivbiwire

Zehntes Jahr der Veteran
TDI
2013 Passat TDI, Newmar Ventana 8.3L ISC 3945, 2016 E250 BT, 2000 Jetta TDI
I have about 6,500 miles before the oil change is required. Will do it sooner.
Last tank lasted me 750 miles going back and forth to work. I peeked under the engine cover. Getting to the oil filter looks easy.
I'm liking the car more and more. Acceleration is very good for what I need it to do. Passing is not a problem at all. Even the Sport suspension is growing on me. Comfortable, but when you go into the corners hard, it firms up.
DO NOT change it sooner!

8.5 liters of oil, double of what a V8 has and the oil is designed to easily go well over 20,000 on a change.

Early changes wear the motor out faster, FACT!

2004PassatTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
In 1-month I have put on about 4,000 miles. In all that time, it used about 1.25-gallons of DEF.What's up with that?Granted most of the driving was highway, but what the heck is only 1.25-gallons going to do?0.0003125-gallons per mile.Or 28.41 drops per mile (assuming 90,921.8 drops per gallon).

How many of you accidently hit the cruise control instead of the turn signal? I've done that enough times to curse.Also, what's up with the 5 MPH increments?Who comes up with that?Annoying!

The car is equipped with driver monitor that will suggest you to pull over and take a rest. After 100 miles, it came on while I was drinking a coffee.You cancel the on screen message by touching the "Ok" button and then clicking "no" on the command screen, since the Nav wants to find you the nearest Star Bucks.It did this 4 times an hour.Annoying!

I have been putting 2-cycle oil in the 2004 Passat TDI. Will I damage anything by doing the same with the Merc?What about adding MOS2 Moly to the engine oil?Early on I went to the 5-40 in the Passat.Passat has 210,000 miles with original cam.Is there an advantage in going with a 5-40 weight oil in the Merc?

Thank you for all replies,
Ernst

jnecr

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 BMW 328d
I have been putting 2-cycle oil in the 2004 Passat TDI. Will I damage anything by doing the same with the Merc?
Your Merc has a lot of additional emissions equipment over the Passat. I would definitely NOT put 2-cycle oil in your car.

ktr

TDI
'12 Passat TDI & '12 E350 Bluetec
In 1-month I have put on about 4,000 miles. In all that time, it used about 1.25-gallons of DEF.What's up with that?Granted most of the driving was highway, but what the heck is only 1.25-gallons going to do?0.0003125-gallons per mile.Or 28.41 drops per mile (assuming 90,921.8 drops per gallon).
That's normal. DEF consumption is not completely proportional to fuel consumption. Factors like driving behavior and temperature plays a big part (e.g. stop-n-go and cold weather results in higher DEF consumption).

How many of you accidently hit the cruise control instead of the turn signal? I've done that enough times to curse.Also, what's up with the 5 MPH increments?Who comes up with that?Annoying!
Yes, I have done this several times in the first week of owning the car. However, I have the pre-facelift W212, which has the cruise control stalk above the turn signal/wiper stalk (confusing coming from any other car brand). If I am not mistaken, MB swapped the positions of the stalks on the post-facelift W212 (your car).

As for the cruise control increments, there are two pressure inputs. A light/brief tap is for 1 MPH increment.

ssamalin

Veteran Member
TDI
Your Merc has a lot of additional emissions equipment over the Passat. I would definitely NOT put 2-cycle oil in your car.
X2. Only MB 229.51 standard oil under warranty; and probably MB 229.51 fully synthetic low ash diesel oil after.

Last edited:

ssamalin

Veteran Member
TDI

The car is equipped with driver monitor that will suggest you to pull over and take a rest. After 100 miles, it came on while I was drinking a coffee.You cancel the on screen message by touching the "Ok" button and then clicking "no" on the command screen, since the Nav wants to find you the nearest Star Bucks.It did this 4 times an hour.Annoying!

I have been putting 2-cycle oil in the 2004 Passat TDI. Will I damage anything by doing the same with the Merc?What about adding MOS2 Moly to the engine oil?Early on I went to the 5-40 in the Passat.Passat has 210,000 miles with original cam.Is there an advantage in going with a 5-40 weight oil in the Merc?

Thank you for all replies,
Ernst
Yea, I hit the wiper or the cruise at first, less often now. The monitor system as you called it is the "Attention Assist" feature. It can be disabled with the command system. It checks if you vary your speed or swerve as if you were getting sleepy. Use only MB 229.51 oil if under warranty, and probably after too. Are you still on run flats? I switched to Michelin Primacy MO. What's the car like on the road?

Last edited:

ssamalin

Veteran Member
TDI
That's normal. DEF consumption is not completely proportional to fuel consumption. Factors like driving behavior and temperature plays a big part (e.g. stop-n-go and cold weather results in higher DEF consumption).
Yes, I have done this several times in the first week of owning the car. However, I have the pre-facelift W212, which has the cruise control stalk above the turn signal/wiper stalk (confusing coming from any other car brand). If I am not mistaken, MB swapped the positions of the stalks on the post-facelift W212 (your car).
As for the cruise control increments, there are two pressure inputs. A light/brief tap is for 1 MPH increment.
Thanks for the info. I have played with the cruise a lot to try to get 1 mph. I'll try it again now.

2004PassatTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Drivbiwire/jnecr/ktr,

Thank you for the informative replies. 8.5 liters sure is a lot of oil.
I understand about the more complex emissions equipment not playing well with the 2-cycle oil, but what about adding Power Service (white or silver bottle)?

Sam - I still have the run flat tires, but will change them when they are worn-out. Car currently has 25,000 miles. The car drives great at highway and above speeds. Very smooth running with regard to engine vibration (none) and ride. Drove it 985 miles in one day coming back from Florida.

Ernst

ssamalin

Veteran Member
TDI
DO NOT change it sooner!
8.5 liters of oil, double of what a V8 has and the oil is designed to easily go well over 20,000 on a change.
Early changes wear the motor out faster, FACT!
X2. MB 229.51 standard oil under warranty per 10K miles.

Last edited:

ssamalin

Veteran Member
TDI
Drivbiwire/jnecr/ktr,

Thank you for the informative replies. 8.5 liters sure is a lot of oil.
I understand about the more complex emissions equipment not playing well with the 2-cycle oil, but what about adding Power Service (white or silver bottle)?

Sam - I still have the run flat tires, but will change them when they are worn-out. Car currently has 25,000 miles. The car drives great at highway and above speeds. Very smooth running with regard to engine vibration (none) and ride. Drove it 985 miles in one day coming back from Florida.

Ernst
I'd use PS if I had to have anti-gel somewhere where the fuel was bad and it was 10 below zero. Otherwise not. Not sure about running run flats. I don't like them. I discuss that a few posts further.
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/surv...Sedan&autoModClar=Non-Staggered+Tires#runflat
To switch mine I got a wheel and tire spare and a Mercedes jack. Mercedes has a doughnut if you'd rather. I have a full size that takes up a lot of trunk I got from Tirerack. Yea the ride is fantastic. Going over the bottom out dips in the road is no-sweat, no bottom out and no being catapulted into the roof. There's no body roll on sharp turns. Mercedes is known for this kind of ride.

Last edited:

ezshift5

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 JSW TDI (Enroute BB).......2017 Jetta 1.4 turbo 5M ....................
I now have a MB alongside my JSW TDI 6M. 250, 4-cylinder (not a diesel)....................

How can I best identify run flats?

ez

ssamalin

Veteran Member
TDI
Run Flats

The MBE250BT comes with run flats and no spare or jack. The run flats mine came with were inferior-rated for traction and wear tires called Goodyear Eagle LS-2 RunOnFlats MercedesOnly Extended Mobility. I really disliked their road feel too, they had a harsh clunk on the freeway bumps. If you're not sure if your tires are run flats, I guess the easiest way to tell is look them up on Tirerack, or google them. I also wanted a spare and jack no matter what. The newer run-flats are touted as though they drive and feel like regular tires, but that is not proven yet. There is also the fact that run flats not only wear out faster but also get more flats, by a lot it seems, and they are more expensive. And since you don't have a spare and jack your options are limited to having 50 miles of driving to make it to a service station or waiting for a tow truck. I'd rather put a tire on by a million. That's not being stuck on the road. And modern tires don't get flats like they used to. I haven't had a blow out in about 30 years. I'm asking my dealer if there's a suspension re-calibration I need as a result of switching the stock run-flats to regular tires. Very little regular vs run-flat comparison data out there and a lot of pushy run flat marketing if you ask me. Bridgestone Driveguards are touted as having a softer wall and more standard tire like road feel. What isn't known is whether they have more flats and wear faster. Sorry Bridgestone, I choose not to be the guinea pig on this one. Driveguards don't seem more expensive to buy not counting how often they may need to be replaced. Buying a type of tire that's only available in a possibly improved form from one vendor, not appealing anyway.
https://www.edmunds.com/driving-tips/run-flat-tires-a-primer.html
http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/news/2015/07/deflating-reality-of-run-flat-tires/index.htm
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tire...BlueTEC Sedan&autoModClar=Non-Staggered Tires

Last edited:

ssamalin

Veteran Member
TDI
No more ever

Spoke to my dealer: no more USA diesels ever he says. Not a good sign I guess. I'll have to start hoarding these suckers.

Last edited:

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
YSpoke to my dealer: no more USA diesels ever he says. Not a good sign I guess. I'll have start hoarding these suckers.
He may be right, but he doesn't know. I doubt Mercedes corporate is sharing that kind of information with dealers.

ezshift5

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 JSW TDI (Enroute BB).......2017 Jetta 1.4 turbo 5M ....................
Not sure I get your question. The MBE250BT comes with run flats and no spare or jack. The run flats mine came with were inferior rated traction wise, even among run flats, which wear faster and lose traction sooner. If you're not sure if your tires are run flats, I guess the easiest way to tell is look them up on Tirerack
Thanks, here's Tirerack's take:

The International Organization for Standardization (ISO) has developed a universal symbol for self-supporting run-flat tires, represented by a flat tire continuing down the road:

Run Flat Tires - Tech Article

In addition, tire manufacturers have special branding to indicate run-flat capability. The following is a list of the branding used by manufacturers we carry:

Bridgestone: RFT
Continental: SSR
Dunlop: DSST or DSST CTT or DSST RunOnFlat
Firestone: RFT
Goodyear: EMT or RunOnFlat
Kumho: XRP
Michelin: ZP
Pirelli: RFT
Yokohama: ZPS
- See more at: http://blog.tirerack.com/blog/bens-blog/how-to-tell-if-you-have-run-flat-tires#sthash.720N717Z.dpuf