How to make the engine limit higher?

BabyTDI

Im curious im new to this bored but have spent hours reading all the articles and stuff great site by the way
anyway i was wondering how do u make the engine limit at a higher set of revs i cant find anything about it on here also is there a reason why no one has descused it? and what would be your recomended limit to take it up to thanks!
oh by the way i have 1995 MKIII Golf TDI and im in the UK
Thanks again

Lee

FamilyCar

TDI
You want your engine to rec higher? Have you ever opened a can of Ether near the intake of a diesel engine to try to start it. Well don't, it's an excellerant and causes over-reving, engine distruction and shrapnal galore. It's highly reccomended not to play with diesel engine revs as it can cause serious damage and yes even death in some cases. The engine is governed. chips can overcome the speed govener for more mph or kmph and maybe a few more rpms but we're not talking 1-3thousand rpm. I think it was a Smitty Built plant that a brand new engine in a truck never run was fired up for the first time and there was a defect in the engine govener, fuel system or air system and the engine rapidly increased it's rpm and shutdowm was impossible. Shrapnal flew from the turbo like a gernade slicing though fiberglass and sheetmetal like butter.
Stick with a chip don't messs with the rpms yourself if that's what you wondered.

GetMore

Veteran Member
TDI
1997 Passat TDI, 2010 Jetta Sportwagen
On top of that, there is not much point in raising the prm limit. The flame front will only travel so fast, so at higher rpm you will not be able to get more power. The larger the bore the lower the redline.

ketchupshirt88

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat daily, a bunch of others in the graveyard out back...
holy zombie thread. lol.

there may be another way beside a chip to raise RPM limit but ive never heard of it.

There's really no good reason to do this though unless you are pretty heavily modified.

The power curve starts going down after 4K or so, it just runs out of breath at high RPMS.

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
this engine makes optimal power around 1900 rpm, there would be no justifiable reason to increase the limit to say run over 5000 rpm, in fact the engine would likely self-destruct at that rpm level. I think 4700 is the redline on this engine.

the beauty of the 1z/AHU is that it generates nice power at low rpm. it's extremely efficient at what it does.

Steve

h.ubk

Veteran Member
TDI
1997 Jetta TDI with 1Z Engine
I have often tried downshifting on hills and to increase the peformance. Unlike with gas engines, there seems to be absolutely no extra performance from the lower gear/higher RPM. Why would you want to increase the redline?

h.ubk

vanbcguy

Veteran Member
TDI
'93 Passat - AHU mTDI with GTB1756VK
An AHU is perfectly capable of spinning up to 6K RPM without issue. I hit 5200+ with mine pretty regularly.

In stock form there's no justifiable reason purely because the stock turbo is too small on the turbine side to support the airflow required, and the ECU mapping prevents you from getting there either way. However the engine definitely won't self destruct in the slightest.

Sent from my XT1097 using Tapatalk