A3 TDI's released?

kltk1

TDI
2005.5 Jetta
I know this is the General VW discussion thread, I didn't see anything specific to Audi. Anyway, does anyone know if the Audi A3 TDI's were released to be sold?

kltk1

TDI
2005.5 Jetta
Spoke to a dealer this morning. They have not been released yet and they have no indication of when they might be.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

dubStrom

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 A4 Jetta (sold), 2010 JSW (sold), 2013 Passat 6MT traded for 2014 JSW with 6MT-TOTALED in November 2016, 2003 ALH 5MT conversion (sold), wheezing 2015 GSW/DSG and a new 2021 Tacoma Access Cab 4x4 p'up
Spoke to a dealer this morning. They have not been released yet and they have no indication of when they might be.

TDI wagons (2015) are getting modified and available now (see thread named "Should I buy?").

Not an Audi, but the JSW TDI is LOADED. And $5000 of MSRP, no less, and when they are gone... unicorn.

showdown 42

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 TDI touareg
$5000 off a 2015 ,I have a bridge to sell you. What a rip! That will be an instant 15K loss for the lucky buyers. LOL unreal.

kltk1

TDI
2005.5 Jetta
TDI wagons (2015) are getting modified and available now (see thread named "Should I buy?").

Not an Audi, but the JSW TDI is LOADED. And $5000 of MSRP, no less, and when they are gone... unicorn.

Do they make an Audi A3 wagon?

dubStrom

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 A4 Jetta (sold), 2010 JSW (sold), 2013 Passat 6MT traded for 2014 JSW with 6MT-TOTALED in November 2016, 2003 ALH 5MT conversion (sold), wheezing 2015 GSW/DSG and a new 2021 Tacoma Access Cab 4x4 p'up
$5000 off a 2015 ,I have a bridge to sell you. What a rip! That will be an instant 15K loss for the lucky buyers. LOL unreal.
It is a TDI. Last of a venerable bloodline. It is an exceptional vehicle, with an incredible array of features. And this is the last one you will see in the USA, period.

Don't buy it if you don't want to. Why are you posting on this website?

kltk1

TDI
2005.5 Jetta
1) Most TDI buyers are long term owners. 2) TDI's have always held their value very well and it's not expected to change because of this scandal. 3) KBB and NADA values are holding up very well and, at this time anyway, there is no $15k dropoff in value.

itsmejerry

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SE TDI Nav, 2015 Passat SE TDI, 2015 Beetle Convertible TDI, 2015 Golf Sportwagen TDI All Phase 2 Emission Modified complete. 50 State Legal Diesel!
My thought for buying 3 Newly released 2015 TDI's today was that the supply is going to be nearly zero in a few years considering the buybacks and normal attrition of cars through accidents and whatnot. I plan on (like all my other TDI's in the past) keeping them until the wheels fall off. I've generally gotten at least 300k miles out of mine before I sell them, and had one for over 600k on it's original engine.

It makes more sense for me to get a TDI than to try to make a gasser work. I just put too many miles on them.

I took advantage of the $8500 lease discount, with the intention of buying the cars during the lease period.

For me, considering the upcoming (lack of) availability, and considering these are as new as they get, MSRP minus $8500 is plenty of discount.

Tony45

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Golf TDI 2-door 6MT (BB - 4/18)
I know this is the General VW discussion thread, I didn't see anything specific to Audi. Anyway, does anyone know if the Audi A3 TDI's were released to be sold?
There was one on the local dealer lot. Silver with Brown interior, DSG Primium Plus w/ Convenience and Driver packages. It was there til this last Monday; sticker is $39K, I'd buy it for 10K off sticker, dealer is not cooperating ... fine by me.

Last edited:

TomB

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Audi TDI Prestige Sport
So. You don't think buying a 2015 new tdi for 5,000 off is worth it, how so?
Nope!

A vehicle that will require additional equipment mods from the exhaust manifold to tailpipe with unknown performance changes?

Retain value? Lol... when the returned vehicles are modded and put on the market, there will be a glut.

The TDI brand has been damaged. Citing past resale values and trends is not valid.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

TomB

Veteran Member
TDI
It is a TDI. Last of a venerable bloodline. It is an exceptional vehicle, with an incredible array of features. And this is the last one you will see in the USA, period.

Don't buy it if you don't want to. Why are you posting on this website?
Because we talk truth here. Enthusiasts can talk realistically. Do we swear an oath of blind allegiance for loving TDI?

itsmejerry

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SE TDI Nav, 2015 Passat SE TDI, 2015 Beetle Convertible TDI, 2015 Golf Sportwagen TDI All Phase 2 Emission Modified complete. 50 State Legal Diesel!
Nope!

A vehicle that will require additional equipment mods from the exhaust manifold to tailpipe with unknown performance changes?

Retain value? Lol... when the returned vehicles are modded and put on the market, there will be a glut.

The TDI brand has been damaged. Citing past resale values and trends is not valid.

I know I'm talking VW on the Audi thread, but the stories are pretty much the same no matter the brand.

As far as being a glut-- Word has it that the pre-AD BLUE models are proving too expensive to repair, and those buy-back cars that didnt have the Adblue system are headed offshore to be sold as they are currently configured. South America, Australia and Asia are about to be flooded with them.

Here in North America we can look forward to having very few diesels available. The ones that will remain will be the 2015's, and the prior year ones where people opt out of the fix. Any that are registered for repair will eventually be given a choice between keeping it as is or selling it back. I dont see a fix happening on vehicles not currently equipped with Ad Blue.

That's my unofficial opinion of what I've been hearing talking to a few Vw engineers I know. No one I've spoken with sees any news about a viable, cost-effective fix.

The value should hold pretty strong. KBB and NADA have already made concessions about the "New" 2015 TDI's, I'm sure with Audi they are or will be doing the same. Showing them as 0-1 year old cars, even 3 years on.

Vw went diesel-less 2x that I remember. From 93-99 and sometime around 2005 for about a year or so. I dont see them coming back for at least 5-6 years minimum, if at all.

We can debate all we want, but those who like the TDI they will see a value in them. Those who dont cant be persuaded.
All I know is supply is limited, and there are no more once these are snapped up.

I'll roll the dice, and keep these as long as they are viable to keep. I've driven TDI's and diesel VW non-TDI's since 83 and average at least 350-400k on them before I sell. IMO- you can't beat them.

Terry270

Veteran Member
TDI
03 golf, 10 A3

The 2015's have been approved for the fix and are already being sold again. Or was the 2015 A3 not included with the VW's?

TomB

Veteran Member
TDI
I know I'm talking VW on the Audi thread, but the stories are pretty much the same no matter the brand.

As far as being a glut-- Word has it that the pre-AD BLUE models are proving too expensive to repair, and those buy-back cars that didnt have the Adblue system are headed offshore to be sold as they are currently configured. South America, Australia and Asia are about to be flooded with them.

Here in North America we can look forward to having very few diesels available. The ones that will remain will be the 2015's, and the prior year ones where people opt out of the fix. Any that are registered for repair will eventually be given a choice between keeping it as is or selling it back. I dont see a fix happening on vehicles not currently equipped with Ad Blue.

That's my unofficial opinion of what I've been hearing talking to a few Vw engineers I know. No one I've spoken with sees any news about a viable, cost-effective fix.

The value should hold pretty strong. KBB and NADA have already made concessions about the "New" 2015 TDI's, I'm sure with Audi they are or will be doing the same. Showing them as 0-1 year old cars, even 3 years on.

Vw went diesel-less 2x that I remember. From 93-99 and sometime around 2005 for about a year or so. I dont see them coming back for at least 5-6 years minimum, if at all.

We can debate all we want, but those who like the TDI they will see a value in them. Those who dont cant be persuaded.
All I know is supply is limited, and there are no more once these are snapped up.

I'll roll the dice, and keep these as long as they are viable to keep. I've driven TDI's and diesel VW non-TDI's since 83 and average at least 350-400k on them before I sell. IMO- you can't beat them.
The court settlement required fix or DESTRUCTION. They cannot be sold offshore.

TomB

Veteran Member
TDI

Where is edit on taptalk!! Lol. I hit enter too fast.

Having had 6 TDIs since 2000 and having dealt with all the issues, stupid decisions, and other VW screw up, I definitely appreciate the TDIs.

Yet, because of this experience, I am willing to speak the truth about the current US and Mexico made cars. They suck. The USA production saw the introduction of cheap parts and materials like seats and dashes. After 5 years the 2012 interior is showing its age. It won't last like the older TDIs.

The quality of the 2005 Passat TDI GLS cars will NEVER be again.

I have moved to the Audi line with the still German production with German appointment. Sure the USA and Mexico builts are more economical (cheaper) cars, but quality was sacrificed.

My S3 just landed in San Diego. Turn in date for 2015 A3 TDI is June 1. With the A4 arriving a week later and the 2012 going back. Glad to see the Passat go, the ride, the performance, the interior were getting old. I will misd the A3 and its mileage.

I LOVE diesels but will stand my ground. VW doesn't get to just slap out **** on a plate and call it wonderful. Otherwise a Chevy Cruise Diesel would have been fine.

kltk1

TDI
2005.5 Jetta
Thanks for all the back and forth folks. Can the thread get back to the Audi A3 TDI and if they've been released for sale/repair? Looks like someone in Canada purchased one...

TomB

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks for all the back and forth folks. Can the thread get back to the Audi A3 TDI and if they've been released for sale/repair? Looks like someone in Canada purchased one...
We are talking about A3 TDIs... are you the moderator?

Well back to cricket chirps. I can take my experience elsewhere....

Terry270

Veteran Member
TDI
03 golf, 10 A3
We are talking about A3 TDIs... are you the moderator?

Well back to cricket chirps. I can take my experience elsewhere....

You did some talking about the A3, along with a lot of rambling about your Passat and 6 other TDIs and your new S3. And at no point in your babbling did you actually answer this guy's question which is, are the 2015 A3 TDIs being sold again like the other 2015's?

I thought they were, but so far only one guy has said yes but he's in Canada.

Last edited:

paperthin

Veteran Member
TDI
15 A3 TDI
I am very interested in a used a3 tdi 2015. Anyone returning one anytime soon that I can swoop in and buy from the dealer? Let me know.

blueVW

TDI
2011 Golf TDI
What do you guys think is a fair discount (either percentage or dollars) for a "new" 2015 A3 TDI?

Leeshepard

TDI
2015 a3
Trying to decide whether to sell back my 2015 A3 for $39k. Seems like a no brainer price wise but if I keep it I get about $8.5k in restitution plus the 150k warranty. So basically I would be “paying” 30.5k, no sales tax, for an A3 in excellent condition with lowish miles and a crazy long emissions warranty.