2008 Scoda Octavia 4x4 TDI (RRP)

nokivasara

Veteran Member
TDI
Tiguan 4-motion, Golf mk7
Did an oil change today, holy cow is that OEM steel skid plate heavy and awkward to get back up :eek:
Also checked that the wheels weren't about to fall off and that I had some tools and plastic tie strips in the car, along with a snow shovel, jumper cables and other good to have stuff. I never take them out during the winter but you never know :D
I'm heading up north, almost to the arctic circle, got to be prepared for the worst in case I get stranded in the middle of nowhere.

bobt2382

Veteran Member - TDIClub Contributor
TDI
2010 CW GOLF 4DR 6MT TDI
Happy travels and stay safe!

nokivasara

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks, I'll post pics if I see something interesting. Like reindeer or northern lights or something.
Most likely I'll only see trees, trees and more trees!

nokivasara

Veteran Member
TDI
I'm back home after 5 days, 2240km and 130 litres of diesel = 5.8l/100km.
Here's a few pics:
Arctic circle, the car is facing to the north (in case someone wonders how the sun can reflect from that direction)

On this one you can see over the border to Finland, the river is the border. No fences or walls ;):

Straight roads and some scenery from the north of Sweden:

Last edited:

nokivasara

Veteran Member
TDI
Changed the oil and filter in the Haldex unit, found quite a lot of crap, but what is it?
RTV sealant?

:confused:
Lastly a picture of the peculiar design of the OEM exhaust system. That pinched section is not pretty.

nokivasara

Veteran Member
TDI
Replaced an indicator bulb, the whole headlamp assembly slides out. It's not hinged, I just put it in like that to be able to snap a pic :)

nokivasara

Veteran Member
TDI
Another picture from my "office".
I almost stepped right in to a bear's den today, they aren't in use during summer so no worries :)

nokivasara

Veteran Member
TDI
Today I flipped the mounting plate for the led light bar. It does worsen the beam pattern when you have the light near the ground but the light bars aren't that impressive anyway so it'll do for now. The plate is attached with 8 screws, not only those 2 in the picture!
I have also swapped wheels with a fellow Octavian ( :) ), he took my 17" VRS wheels and I took his 15" stock wheels, they are called Pyxis I think.
I drive a lot on gravel roads and the 15's are much better for the car, a lot more air and rubber between the rim and the road.
Then I have prepared for a flywheel replacement, bought Sachs flywheel, clutch and pressure plate.

Last edited:

bobt2382

TDI
2010 CW GOLF 4DR 6MT TDI
Nice. Smart move on swapping the wheels. Give us a side pic next time you post so we can see the new wheels, lol.

nokivasara

Veteran Member
TDI
Nice. Smart move on swapping the wheels. Give us a side pic next time you post so we can see the new wheels, lol.
Really happy with the wheels, no pics last time because I just remembered that when I posted the other pics. Here's a picture from todays adventures:

Last edited:

nokivasara

Veteran Member
TDI
So, the pictures will be lost due to Photobuckets new rules, I've deleted my account there. I'll probably fix at least some of them at some point.

benIV

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 PG 5m Jetta GL Sedan, 2003 RS 5m Jetta GLS Wagon (Golf Variant)
Is photobucket trying to piss off enough people to tank their company? lol

nokivasara

Veteran Member
TDI
Yeah, I guess they made too much money from ads on their free accounts and had to come up with something quickly :)

nokivasara

Veteran Member
TDI
Replaced one of the plastic shields under the car, I think it's a part of the rough road package but I'm not sure since our Golf also has them...
It's not a skid plate but it does add protection to the fuel lines and the floor itself from stone chips and such.

I only have one of the pictures that I added through Photobucket left, so here it is:

Last edited:

nokivasara

Veteran Member
TDI
Since the last post I have replaced the DMF and clutch, the LCA bushings and some other misc bits and pieces.
Also did a trip 1000km upnorth and got great fuel mileage, 5.5l/100km. I'm very happy with that, considering it's a 4x4 and we drove those 1000km in 11.5 hours.

bobt2382

TDI
2010 CW GOLF 4DR 6MT TDI
Nice. :D How much of an improvement with the new clutch and flywheel?

nokivasara

Veteran Member
TDI
The new flywheel is super smooth and quiet, but now I hear some other odd noises from the engine! Probably serp belt tensioner or alternator clutch...

bobt2382

TDI
2010 CW GOLF 4DR 6MT TDI
Ohhhh. Thanks for the feedback.

da.hs

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf, DSG, silver (from new). 2010 Audi Q7 (from 2016), 2004 Touareg V10 (from 2018)
Ah, you noticed too? Our forecast today was "Cloudy" - been snowing all day with varying intensity. Around 100mm so far. Second snowfall this week, plus one a month ago that melted away. This lot will stay until April

nokivasara

Veteran Member
TDI

I need more ground clearance! Had to reverse a bit from that point and turn back, didn't want to risk getting stuck further in the woods...That's the downside of working in forestry...I'll have to wait for the road to get plowed.
I already have the factory rough road package and I'm not sure if it can be lifted further so I've ordered some strut and coil spacers to test. They give 20mm of lift, we'll see how that goes when they arrive. If they work well I think I'll source some springs from a Yeti or Tiguan or something, but it's time consuming trying to find out what fits and what doesn't so I'll go with the spacers for now.
I could put a SUV or a proper 4x4 to good use (unlike most of their owners) but I like this Skoda so I'll try my best to get it to work for me...

bobt2382

TDI
2010 CW GOLF 4DR 6MT TDI
Good luck. Nice to see that you have snow there. 62 Fahrenheit here.

nokivasara

Veteran Member
TDI
Mounted the strut and coil spacers today. The rough road package and spacers put together was too much, the rear drive shafts got an unhealthy angle.
Maybe it would have worked but I need my car every day and don't want to risk a break down in the woods so I decided to remove the spacers.

Last edited:

nokivasara

Veteran Member
TDI

It has been a long winter, the second picture is from today!
I've been chasing a rattle from the rear, noticed some broken speed nuts on the exhaust heat shields and that did cure some of the sounds but there was more, turned out that I hadn't latched the rear seat backrest after having them folded down for a while. Sometimes it's easy :)

benIV

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 PG 5m Jetta GL Sedan, 2003 RS 5m Jetta GLS Wagon (Golf Variant)
It’s too bad you all don’t get any snow up there. lol. I really do love this car of yours. I wish it was something available here.

nokivasara

Veteran Member
TDI
The area where I'm currently working has some pretty bad roads, I've had to zig-zag to get there, so I decided to install the strut- and coil spacers afterall.
I haven't done anything else yet, still evaluating the lift.
It doesn't feel any different to drive, no noises or vibrations so I guess it's not too bad, only time will tell...
Still on OEM 195/65r15 tires. Looks a bit funny at the moment :D

Other than being too low for my needs (wrong type of car really) it has been very good, managed to get it down to 5.3l/100km average over a tank, over 800 km before the fuel light went on. That's about 43mpg.

Last edited:

nokivasara

Veteran Member
TDI
Ok, spacers off again, back to stock suspension for good.
Bought a set of Audi wheels with 205/60r16 tires, they are a little taller than the stock 195/65r15.

nokivasara

Veteran Member
TDI
Now I have a new set of winter tires of the same size as the summers, 205/60r16.
Got the Nokian Nordman 7's, so now I'm ready for winter! We've already had some snow but it only lasted a few days.