What to do?

gvf

TDI
'97 Passat, 2015 Passat
I have a 1997 Passat TDI. The engine was recently rebuilt and one day the bottom radiator hose popped off, . Now it has a knock. Pulled the pan off, and #1 cylinder appears to have some scoring. What would you do?

jokila

Vendor
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS, Manual
I have a 1997 Passat TDI. The engine was recently rebuilt and one day the bottom radiator hose popped off, . Now it has a knock. Pulled the pan off, and #1 cylinder appears to have some scoring. What would you do?
I guess it depends on what rebuild meant.

Did the engine overheat? Where are the details post hose falling off. In of itself, it's unrelated unless this was a chain of events.

mjez

Veteran Member
TDI
00 Jetta
I guess it depends on what rebuild meant.

Did the engine overheat? Where are the details post hose falling off. In of itself, it's unrelated unless this was a chain of events.
I would imagine OP meant that it overheated after the hose came loose.

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
that sucks.
Im assuming you have access to all the crank conrod journals?
If it was me (dont take my advice) i would polish the crank in place with some (lots) of emery cloth with the shoestring method, very effective, get all the high spots off, toss new bearings on it (that is assuming you still have good compression numbers.
there is a high chance the head is warped too.

this is #1 reason i run with a scangauge II on my car, the cluster temp gauge is USELESS as you now know.

no harm in trying to fix it as is right?
just make sure your CLEAN about it, make sure you clean everything and cover things up when you polish it.