Popping a body line dent back out

LizzyGray79

TDI
2012 Jetta TDI
Please remove if this type of post is not allowed.

I have a new to me 2012 Jetta TDI that was a buy back I purchased a few months ago.. This weekend I accidentally turned my wheels the wrong direction backing out of my garage and caught the frame of the garage door opening. Thankfully it just left white rubber marking with no damage to the paint BUT I did manage to put a few dents on the bottom of the rear passenger door along the body line.
Is there anyway way to try to pop these back out myself or am I’m better off just sucking it up and paying someone? Makes me sick to my stomach to see my flawless, black beauty all wavy down that one section.

If I need to get it done professional, is there anyone locally to central North Carolina that could recommend someone?

wonneber

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagon,2003 Jetta 261K Sold but not forgotten
This may sound funny but I used a toilet plunger to pull a few dents out over the years.

Don't know how bad yours are.

Other option take the inside door panel off enough so you can get your hand inside to push the dents out.

Do the 2012's still have the big metal pan under it that was a pain to get off my 2003?

soot1

Veteran Member
TDI
Currently none. Formerly: 2010 VW Jetta TDI 6M, 1993 Dodge Ram W250 Cummins 5M 4WD, 1990 VW Jetta Diesel 5M, 1986 VW Jetta Diesel 5M, 1980 VW Uabbit Diesel 4M. Currently driving 2018 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4WD.
Other option take the inside door panel off enough so you can get your hand inside to push the dents out.
Starting with MY 2006, the door was designed in a totally different way than the previous model years. The outside sheet metal skin on those vehicles comes off by removing the 10+ Torx 30 screws that keep it in place. When you remove those screws, just lift the entire panel up, and that's it, you now have an unrestricted access to the back side of those dents. This was the case with the 2006, 2009 and 2010 model years, but I am pretty sure VW stuck to that design concept even past the 2010 MY. So, if the dents bother you that much and you can't get them out, you can stop by your local VW dealer, order the door panel brand new, have their body shop paint it for you, and then you can replace it yourself in your garage.

forrest resto`s

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 jetta tdi auto rc2 2013 passat tdi 2015 passat tdi auto 2011 jetta tdi nav. s'roof..man. dpf delete 1970 GTO JUDGE 520 HP
Just my opinion ( I own a body shop)The door "shell" is what he would need.. just the panel would be a job for a body shop to do..special tools and knowledge is necessary..shell is the way to go..get one used for pretty cheap

soot1

Veteran Member
TDI
Currently none. Formerly: 2010 VW Jetta TDI 6M, 1993 Dodge Ram W250 Cummins 5M 4WD, 1990 VW Jetta Diesel 5M, 1986 VW Jetta Diesel 5M, 1980 VW Uabbit Diesel 4M. Currently driving 2018 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4WD.
VW parts diagram uses the term "shell" in connection with the frame of the door. The outer skin then attaches to the outside of the shell, and that is the part the OP damaged. So, using VW's terminology, the OP needs the outer skin, not the shell.

forrest resto`s

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 jetta tdi auto rc2 2013 passat tdi 2015 passat tdi auto 2011 jetta tdi nav. s'roof..man. dpf delete 1970 GTO JUDGE 520 HP
with all due respect.. unless the op has done a "skin" before be forewarned! Some refer to the the shell as an "empty door assembly skin included" no internals e.g. window parts ..door mechanisms..etc. alas! the shell ( no oysters inside!:rolleyes:)..removing a skin and installing a skin takes some skill and proper tools..done it many times here in my body shop..here's a video.. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NWOGMVlkjzM

soot1

Veteran Member
TDI
..removing a skin and installing a skin takes some skill and proper tools..
With all due respect, I, too, removed and reinstalled a skin on a 2010 Jetta once (I don't know if the later models are the same, but I assume so), and the only skill I needed for that operation was knowing how to turn a screwdriver - one screw holds the cylinder lock in place, another one is under the door handle, and about a dozen or so hold the skin to the frame. It took me 15 minutes to remove the skin, and I was doing it for the first time in my life. Reinstalling the skin took a bit longer because I had to make the gap even on all sides, but it's not a rocket science by any stretch of imagination. BTW, the video mentioned in your message is about a 2018 Honda Accord. What does that vehicle have in common with the 2012 Jetta the OP is asking about?

Last edited:

forrest resto`s

Veteran Member
TDI
well ..I guess the op has more than enough info to proceed with whatever he/she chooses:p lol! some are adept in mechanics..some body work..and some both:D some don't know how to check the oil!:eek:..just giving the op a heads up;)