Are rear bearings required to be replaced when replacing the rear rotors?

brownnugen

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW TDI, 2011 JSW TDI & 2018 Atlas 2.0T S
Just wondering if this is indeed required or a recommendation like replacing water pump when you do a timing belt?

Thanks.

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
No, only if they are making noise. And when the caliper and brake pads are off ,is the perfect time to give them a spin and make sure.

Abacus

That helpful B4 guy
TDI
Only the B4V left
Since the wheel bearing races are inserted into the new rotor, and the bearings are matched to the races (when used), it makes sense to just go with new bearings. They aren't that expensive.

I have not known anyone to remove the race and install it in another rotor, but you can if you want. Just use a soft metal drift to knock the race out and install it in the other rotor, otherwise you can damage the surface.

0die

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat wagon B4V
why are you replacing the rotors? the rear brakes wear so little that the rotors should normally last the life of the vehicle...and beyond...

have you checked them with a micrometer? you might consider having them turned...but not sure if that can be done with the race still installed.

Abacus

That helpful B4 guy
TDI
Only the B4V left
Something may not be right on yours then, I've replaced a bunch due to wear. The rear pads are replaced about every other time the fronts are done but the rotors wear out at about the same rate, around 100,000 to 150,000 miles depending on stop and go driving.

0die

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat wagon B4V
I don't think I have ever changed a rear rotor or drum....ever...

Most all of my cars I have bought when they were well past 100k miles...dozens of cars.

that's not to say a previous owner had not already replaced them...but I think that's unlikely. I've replaced a few fronts over the years, but not many

Rotors usually die from warping and turning them thins them out too much eventually...not from wearing thin from normal brake use alone until you hit a couple hundred thou miles of so...in my experience

But I guess a lot would depend on the hardness of the original rotors and type of pads used

vanbcguy

Veteran Member
TDI
'93 Passat - AHU mTDI with GTB1756VK
Or more specifically where you live and how you drive. Stop and go traffic on the side of a mountain will burn through brakes a lot faster than highway driving in the plains.

Sent from my XT1097 using Tapatalk