Exhaust Pressure Sensors (P047C)

ccmdude

TDI
2009 Jetta
Mine is slightly different, "Exhaust Gas Differential Pressure Sensor (G450) Adaptation".

I replaced both sensors with the "B" version so maybe after I've checked the hose connections, I'll try and replace sensor 1 with an "A" version.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
2009s do not use the B sensors.

From the factory, 2009s had one that was 03G-906-051-A and another that is 076-906-051-A. The 03G one was superceded to the 03G-A.

Only the 2010+ cars use the B suffix sensors, and they are both the same from the factory.

I have tried the B versions on cars that originally had the A, and they don't work. You'll get an implausible signal DTC, and the DPF light will come on at random. BTDT.

ccmdude

TDI
2009 Jetta
I installed an A version on the 1st sensor, the one with the heat shielding. After adapting the sensor, it was good for a day or so and now the light is back on. P047b and P047c.

I bought the sensor from dieseltruckpartsdirect, has anyone had experience with them? I'm wondering if I bought a defective sensor or if the other sensor is the problem.

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
I bought the sensor from dieseltruckpartsdirect, has anyone had experience with them? I'm wondering if I bought a defective sensor or if the other sensor is the problem.
If the other sensor is the problem, then the one you replaced is probably OK. Try putting the one you removed in the place of the other one, do the adaptation again. It can't hurt to try. I know nothing (good or bad) about that vendor or the part they sold you.

Have Fun!

Don

RMartin

TDI
Jetta 2009 wagon
Is there a video on how to replace them and do I understand I will have to reprogram with VCDS

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Is there a video on how to replace them and do I understand I will have to reprogram with VCDS
I have never seen a video, but it is pretty simple (in theory). There are 2 hoses and one electrical connector, and that's all (except for the mounting bracket).
Yes, VCDS is recommended because you must tell the ECU that the sensor has been replaced, so that it can then "learn" how the new sensor works. If the new sensor is nearly identical to the old one, it might work without the adaptation but I would not count on this working. I would suggest finding someone with VCDS. What needs to be done with VCDS takes all of about 10 seconds, but it is important.

Have Fun!

Don

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
They are just a differential pressure sensor, same as Ford had been using since the '90s to monitor EGR flow. And they failed left and right on those, too. :rolleyes:

ccmdude

TDI
2009 Jetta
Is there something that could be tripping the sensors? I have replaced both sensors with the A version, adapted with VCDS, and cleared the codes. Everything is fine for about two days of driving to and from work and then the light comes back. When I scanned the car this afternoon, a fan code turned up as well for the first time. I have no idea if it is related or not.

Any ideas? I'm about ready to write a blank check to the dealer.

Below is a copy of the read out from the VCDS.

Address 01: Engine (CBE) Labels: 03L-906-022-CBE.clb
Part No SW: 03L 997 016 N HW: 03L 906 022 J
Component: R4 2,0L EDC G000SG 8680
Revision: 12H01--- Serial number: VWX7Z0H824U02R
Coding: 0050072
Shop #: WSC 00066 000 00000
VCID: 3D5FCBA164F438C944D-8068

3 Faults Found:
001147 - Exhaust Pressure Sensor 2
P047B - 000 - Implausible Signal - Intermittent - MIL ON
Freeze Frame:
Fault Status: 10100000
Fault Priority: 2
Fault Frequency: 2
Reset counter: 255
Mileage: 167183 km
Time Indication: 0
Date: 2000.00.00
Time: 18:19:08

Freeze Frame:
RPM: 0 /min
Speed: 0.0 km/h
Temperature: 4.5°C
Temperature: 86.4°C
Temperature: 84.0°C
Pressure: 82 mbar
Pressure: 13 mbar

001147 - Exhaust Pressure Sensor 2
P047B - 000 - Implausible Signal - Intermittent
Freeze Frame:
Fault Status: 00100000
Fault Frequency: 11
Mileage: 167280 km
Time: 03:51:36

Freeze Frame:
RPM: 851 /min
Speed: 25.0 km/h
Temperature: 20.7°C
Temperature: 92.7°C
Temperature: 90.0°C
Pressure: -33 mbar
Pressure: 38 mbar

006472 - Control Module 2 for Cooling Fan
P1948 - 000 - Output Short Circuit - Intermittent
Freeze Frame:
Fault Status: 00100000
Fault Frequency: 1
Mileage: 167280 km
Time: 03:49:38

Freeze Frame:
RPM: 828 /min
Speed: 6.0 km/h
Temperature: 45.0°C
Temperature: 84.6°C
Temperature: 23.4°C
Lambda: 70.2 %
Lambda: 0.0 %

Readiness: 1 1 0 0 0

Last edited:

Jaymarks

TDI
09 Jetta TDI DSG (bought back),12 Jetta TDI 6man (totaled and bought back), 15 Jetta TDI DSG
Did you resolve this problem? I have the same problem exactly after installing 2 type b sensors. Same codes for implausible signals after adaptation with vcds.

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Did you resolve this problem? I have the same problem exactly after installing 2 type b sensors. Same codes for implausible signals after adaptation with vcds.
From post #32 above:

2009s do not use the B sensors.

From the factory, 2009s had one that was 03G-906-051-A and another that is 076-906-051-A. The 03G one was superceded to the 03G-A.

Only the 2010+ cars use the B suffix sensors, and they are both the same from the factory.

I have tried the B versions on cars that originally had the A, and they don't work. You'll get an implausible signal DTC, and the DPF light will come on at random. BTDT.
Unfortunately, you now need to install 2 of the -A sensors and re-adapt. Do you still have your old -A sensors? One of then is probably OK. Oilhammer has a lot more experience with these sensors than I have, so I believe him.

Have Fun!

Don

HamboneC26

TDI
2009 Jetta TDI
Hey, I've got the same code, P047C. I don't think I will have a problem replacing the sensors, but I don't have the VCDS and neither does the local mech shop. The closest VW Dealership and garage is two hours away. Is there another way to adapt the new sensors, without buying the VCDS? Thanks for any input.
Tom C.
I finally got the above problem fixed. The CEL light has been off for about three weeks, and no further problems. Here's how I would do it again, if I had to do it to another car.....
1. Check code with VCDS. While you can use a generic code reader, it won't tell you much. VCDS will tell you the exact sensor that is malfunctioning. From the Service Manual; Sensor 2 =G451, located behind oil fill neck. Sensor 1= G450, Bolted to aux. fuel pump
2. After removing sensor, measure resistance using an ohm meter between pin 1 and pin 2, and resistance between pin 2 and pin 3. I saw some values of what those measurements should be..... however I can't verify them. Just look to see that you don't get infinite ohms. If you do(like I did) that means the circuit is open. I replaced that sensor with new.
3. If you have an A type model from the factory, use an A type model. I wasted money on trying the two B models. Using two A type now, and no problems.
4. Adapt with VCDS.
I hope that helps some folks.
Tom C.

Beckley411

TDI
2009 Jetta TDI
Trouble Removing the G450 Sensor (Sensor by oil filler neck)

I tried to remove this sensor earlier today but I didn't have any success. I was afraid I destroy the sensor, which would be a pain because I don't actually have the VCDS to "adapt" the new sensor that I bought. Does anyone have any advice on how to remove this sensor (the one in the heat shield)? I used a pair of vice grips to hold open the tube clamp but I don't wanna damage the tube by pulling too hard on the sensor so I gave up for the day. Back at her tomorrow :).

Thanks,

B411

Jaymarks

TDI
09 Jetta TDI DSG (bought back),12 Jetta TDI 6man (totaled and bought back), 15 Jetta TDI DSG
I think I just removed any bolts clamping the assembly in place and removed the heat shield, squeezed the clamps and slid aqathem down. Think I just put tension upward and used a little screwdriver to try to free the stuck hoses from the sensor. Once they start moving ita not too bad. Might need to slide hose off with needle nose pliers. Not much room to work.

transpac80

TDI
VW 2009 Jetta
Is there anyone who lives in Pasadena, TX and has the VCDS to help me do the adaptation? I changed the sensors but still need to adapt to the new ones to clear out the light. Will bring 6 packs of beer for your trouble.

Marsden

TDI
2009 Jetta
My 2009 Jetta TDI has started throwing the P047C code.

My question is, how critical is it to address this? Per statements from VW, my vehicle year will be subject to buy-back rather than fixing the NOx emission issue, with something scheduled to be finalized with the courts and the agencies June 21. I'm figuring the vehicle lifetime I have to worry about only extends six more months, -ish, and I don't want to drop another several hundred dollars on it if I don't have to. I do have the $500 VW dealership debit card to use, but I figure most of that will be absorbed by the dealer mark-up over what my regular mechanic would charge; plus, I had given the card to my girlfriend in the notion she could get tires with it, which the dealers seem to be not terribly overpriced for.

I don' t know what the two sensors in question actually control; I thought I'd seen something elsewhere in the threads on things clogging up if this code isn't attended to, but can't find that reference now.

Any thoughts on whether I can get away with ignoring the code for 6 months would be appreciated, but please: no wagering. ;-)

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Any thoughts on whether I can get away with ignoring the code for 6 months would be appreciated, but please: no wagering. ;-)
When these sensors fail your car will generally do one of two things (depending on which sensor fails and how it fails).
1) Your DPF will try to continuously regenerate, because the ECU believes that a regen is required. The main problem with this scenario would probably be lower mileage.
2) Your DPF will not regenerate at all. I have seen this happen. Your DPF will clog up in a while. How long this takes will depend on how and how much you drive. However, I doubt that it would last for 6 months without a regeneration.

You have to decide how to proceed, but a sensor is a lot cheaper than a DPF.

Have Fun!

Don

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Jetta wagon DSG 08/08 205k buyback 1/8/18; replaced with 2017 Golf Wagon 4mo 1.8l CXBB
If you want to manage the error, you will probably want to keep a close eye on the rest of the system.

a regular scan with VCDS would be advised, to let you know if the error is (or is not) keeping the DPF from regenerating.

I would be happy to help (read your car's info with VCDS) if you are close to the DC beltway and want to venture into the VA swamps once in a while.

Marsden

TDI
2009 Jetta
Thanks Don and Mike.

I seem to be in Don's scenario 2, with no regen. I guess I'll just pony up the money to get it fixed, but thanks, Mike, for the offer of VCDS use.

The leaks on the emissions settlement suggested that there would be a 2 year window for taking the buy-back offer, so maybe I can stretch out my car's lifespan to reduce the cost-per-mile of the fix. Not keen on contributing to asthmatic kids choking out, though.

Marsden

TDI
2009 Jetta
Took vehicle into my regular mechanic and got both sensors replaced for $263 plus tax, confirming my suspicion that almost all of the $500 VW dealer debit card would have been consumed by dealer mark-up, based on $650 that regidog was quoted to start this thread.

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Jetta wagon DSG 08/08 205k buyback 1/8/18; replaced with 2017 Golf Wagon 4mo 1.8l CXBB
nice to drive without dashboard warnings....

k^2

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta Sportwagen DSG - Sold back to VW. Replaced with Sportwagen 2.5 GAS
Mine have also failed few months ago. Replaced both of them myself.

rgmullins

TDI
2009 Jetta sportwagon
Can someone here tell me how to adapt the new sensors using OBD Eleven? Someone earlier had posted instructions on how to reset them with VCDS and I was told by the folks at Deutsche Auto Parts where I bought it that the procedure would be the same, but the menus are not the same. Any help would be appreciated.

PRY4SNO

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Touareg Execline
Can someone here tell me how to adapt the new sensors using OBD Eleven? Someone earlier had posted instructions on how to reset them with VCDS and I was told by the folks at Deutsche Auto Parts where I bought it that the procedure would be the same, but the menus are not the same. Any help would be appreciated.
Bit of a bump from the dead, but I'd also like to know about adapting the new sensors with OBDeleven. Such a handy device at a great price point but man the support is the worst.