Crank pulley bolts have gone missing :/

Silentmunky

TDI
03 Jetta GLS TDI
So, as I drove around saturday I lose power steering and the battery light comes on. I also have a cel, which is always on thanks to a glowplug, that is returning P0000 (I have a scanguageII always hooked up). I can hear some movement in my engine bay, so I figure my serp belt went on me.

When I get home, I pop the hood and see the belt had a split along one of the ridges lengthwise. I go buy a new belt, jack the car, remove undertray, remove/break undertray by the intercooler, and begin to replace the belt. My crank pulley has a lot of play in it, that is when I realize I am missing two of the three bolts.

It has been awhile since I tore down this motor, but can someone help me on the torque specs for this? I am at work, so I am trying to look around to get all the info so I can fix this tonight or tomorrow.

PS: What would cause the bolts to back out? Can I just use some mild loctite when I put the new bolts in?

3turboz

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Golf GL Wolfsberg
Drivebywire's timing belt procedure suggests using blue locktite on those bolts. It does not however, have a troque spec.

My Haynes manual says 10 Nm or 84 inch/lbs, plus 1/4 turn. That would indicate they are stretch bolts and you should replace.

Silentmunky

TDI
03 Jetta GLS TDI
I figured they would be stretch bolts. I saw someone else mention 18ft-lbs. So blue loctite? Thank you guys for the help. It is much appreciated.

Silentmunky

TDI
03 Jetta GLS TDI
Just read over the timing belt article. Called my local shop, and he had some bolts in stock. I have an auto trans, can I stay in park or go into a gear to install and torque these bolts down?

runonbeer

Maintenance EnthusiastVendor
TDI
'00 Golf 02M, '10 Golf 02E, '02 UTE 02M
I always torque to 20ft lbs no loctite. Never had one fall off. Loctite makes them A. hard to take out later and B. stinky.

Ensure that your balancer is not damaged.

3turboz

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Golf GL Wolfsberg
......... I have an auto trans, can I stay in park or go into a gear to install and torque these bolts down?
You should be able to get that torque without holding the engine. Just make sure the motion of the torque wrench is not striaght out from the crank center, but passing across the pully.

Nutsnbolts

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2000 Jetta, Silver Arrow
X2 for the no-locktite method. And I have always torqued them to 15 lb-ft.

One mistake that sometimes is made is the damper is put on while the timing belt hasn't centered itself on the pulley, meaning that the damper gets torqued down against the belt and not the pulley itself. As soon as the engine starts and the belt centers up, the damper is loose.

BTW- there are 4 bolts down there.

-Rich

ymz

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI Wagon, 2003 Jetta TDI Wagon
Just a little note of caution for those ordering parts:

Many 2003 (wagons, especially) ALH engines use a different design harmonic balancer that needs shorter bolts.

The older cars use an M8x37 bolt, p/n N90339605
The newer ones use an M8x16 bolt, p/n N10303603

They are often re-used, although the manual does say to replace... (and I don't see where a small drop of blue LocTite will hurt...)

Yuri

Last edited: