Hard Start / No Start - Is your intercooler frozen? Check Here!

thanatos

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf Sportwagen TDI
If they do an oil change and you didn't authorize it, make sure you don't pay for it!
I actually had 2 extra oil changes done for free with the cold weather update, once when it happened originally and they put the temp snorkel bypass in place, and then a second when they installed the proper kit. Dealership had no issues billing that back to VWoC. Have to be honest, from some of the horror stories here I feel lucky to have access to the dealership I do.

They don't even bug me about my strobe lights that much anymore ;)

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
VWoC CSR Supervisor called - They've suggested only driving 800km round trip to a closer dealer and having that dealer charge back to Langley GOLDKEY VW.

No, not acceptable. I would prefer to have my local Euroshop and body shop do the work and charge that back to the dealer.

They said they'd call me back tomorrow.

Also somehow someone change me complaining about a 3/8" misalignment to a 3" gap :eek:

no offense, why'd you buy a car with the dealer 800kM away and expect service from said dealer to not be a pain?

BTW the front bumper takes 25 min to R/R.

crashtested

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Q5 TDI Technik, 2014 GSW CL 6MT (RIP), 2004 Jetta GLS 5MT (sold), 2010 GSW HL 6MT (buy back)
no offense, why'd you buy a car with the dealer 800kM away and expect service from said dealer to not be a pain?

No offense taken.

However when we bought the car in 2010 we lived 5 min away from the dealership. Where we have relocated over this past year partially for my job and a HUGE jump in quality of life (back to the valley, where we both grew up :D) we are now 400km away, East or West away from the closest dealers. The ONLY reason we went with the dealer on the coast was because my wife had to go down last weekend, and the kit had been ordered by them in Jan after the car was towed in after a hard start.

I don't know about you but when I finish a job I take a step back and make sure, check & double check that it's right. If it isn't, then I make it right.

BTW the front bumper takes 25 min to R/R.
Will probably end up doing that myself.

Last edited:

bhtooefr

TDIClub Enthusiast, ToofTek Inventor
TDI
None
The trick is, you moved for your own reasons. VW has nothing to do with those reasons, ergo, it's not VW's fault that you have to go that far for service.

Yes, it sucks that they screwed up your car. But, if you want dealer service that's conveniently close to you, you need to either move closer to a VW dealer, or sell your VW and get a car from a brand who has a dealer closer to you.

crashtested

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Q5 TDI Technik, 2014 GSW CL 6MT (RIP), 2004 Jetta GLS 5MT (sold), 2010 GSW HL 6MT (buy back)
This has NOTHING to do with location, it's just an annoyance complicating the issue.

I wasn't called by the dealer when the parts came in after specifically being told that I would be. I was there, AT THE DEALER in August and it could have been done then but no one said BOO.

They took longer then they said they would having already completed 3 of these jobs, they knew FULL well how long this job would take - the 2.0 CR engine is the same across all the models.

Then, 2 days later they still didn't have it ready when they said they would.

My wife having to turn around so they could fix a rattling pipe... Don't they road test cars anymore?

Or maybe, just maybe they just needed to have done it right THE FIRST TIME.

Take some accountability & pride in the job you're doing.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Again no offense, but knowing the issues i had with my TSB IC install (busted HP AC line due to improper reinstall) and what others have had.

I wouldn't have trusted the dealer to do anything 100% perfect and expect to have to inspect their work. As you found out, talk it cheap and the dealer said one thing and couldn't live up to it. Is it right to plan for the worse with dealer service, heck no, but it does seem like what we have been forced to live with.

Again I'm sorry for the hasseles you've had (your wife too!), you're not the first nor will you be the last. Hopefully everyone else here can learn from all the issues.

crashtested

Veteran Member
TDI
And it's done...

Woohoo! :rolleyes:

$100 Gift Certificate from VWoC = new floor mats!

I fixed the hose clamp last night and said I would re & re the bumper myself. They said I should still stop by the dealer next time I'm in the city so they can check everything over :rolleyes:

740GLE do you have a good HOW-TO for the bumper? Errr I guess I can always search!

VW Petrolero

Veteran Member
TDI
2018 Golf SW 1.8 TSI
Woohoo! :rolleyes:
$100 Gift Certificate from VWoC = new floor mats!
I fixed the hose clamp last night and said I would re & re the bumper myself. They said I should still stop by the dealer next time I'm in the city so they can check everything over :rolleyes:
740GLE do you have a good HOW-TO for the bumper? Errr I guess I can always search!
$26.00 at Costco

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
For my mk5, it was removing the center grill then 10 or so torx around the front, they were easy to spot. Seeing the mk6 jaw is 99% a mk6 should be pretty straight forward

Myturbodiesel or tex should have a good DIY

rickcrna1

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW
Everybody here who is late getting here to this thread should spend some time reading in this thread.!VW is absolutely not going to add this kit to your car unless, you have A sympathetic Dealer (LOL) how many of them you think are here?? Or you have your car towed in and they witness the problem 1st hand......(Hint) it will melt before it gets to the dealer and then there is no more problem......Not Observed denied.....Folks this is some more of VW's Excellent Customer Service! YET we The loyal customers keep buying and keeping there 30,000 POS cars!!
Well I experienced my IC problem back in February, 2010. It has taken major persistence along with a substantial letter writing campaign up the VWoA chain of command and finally my local dealer has received the order of the upgraded IC kit for my vehicle. My IC problem occurred within the warranty period and even though I now have close to 59K on the car, VWoA has authorized the parts and installation on their dime. The vehicle goes in for repair this week and I shall report back how events unfold.

gumaku1

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Sportwagen TDI - DSG
wanted to throw a question out there for those with intercooler kits since the temperatures are getting closer to what we might consider optimum for "icing"
There is a flap valve in the intercooler that must function when the temperature drops below xx degF (my guess might be 39F since that is where the freeze warning is on my OT display)
We all know that the EGR being sent into intake before the intercooler system is warm, oily, and moist, basically dirty stuff.....
What are the chances that our flap valves may need some servicing or cleaned each season?
What is the flap valve structure and design? Does anyone have any good pictures of how it works and if it can be serviced?

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Rretty sealed up in the side tub of the IC. You'd have to remove the IC and crack open the IC.

There's a rod that gets rotated from the vacuum actuator, I'd be surprised if road grime can get at it as it's towards the engine block.

With all the EGR mist and gunk, we find in the IC hose i'm sure the thing is pretty well lubed internally.

crashtested

Veteran Member
TDI
So, after stopping by my local Euro shop to diagnose an mystery MIL that showed up on Tuesday we popped off the engine cover...

The fabric sheath on the EGR return is absolutely shredded :mad: It really doesn't serve much purpose other then to collect oil when the dealer doesn't cover it during an oil change :rolleyes:

So do I call VWoC or the dealer? I'm so beyond disgusted at this point that I don't think complaining will do anything to ease my worries about the whole install.

MIL was an issue with the #3 glow plug.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I honestly don't know seeing your so far away it's almost a lost cause at this point.

Russellb05

TDI
2009 Jetta TDI
Quick question. Has anyone with an earlier model TDI (e.x. 2009), had any luck getting the IC kit installed even if they were past the 36k warranty before VW came out with the fix for theses cars? Based on this thread it looks like the fix came out around April/May 2011. At that point I was already past 36k on my 2009 and I'm getting close to 60k. Just trying to figure out if it's worth fighting with VW to get it replaced under the powertrain warranty (which it looks like most people have failed in that regard) or just pony up the cash for it before this winter.

Jayg

Veteran Member
TDI
'12 Jetta 6MT-VW bought back as a lemon
I may have missed it but do the newer cars have the fix already installed?

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
if you haven't had this issue in your car in the past 3-4 winters, and don't plan on moving north while owning the car, i'd probably not worry about it.

But if you have it documented with the dealer of issues since the first winter, regardless of the miles on the car.

I had mine installed at 44K miles. I also had my first case my first winter at 7-8K miles, with a writen statment from the deaker in my 10K service explaining the situation and their recomendation to drive it hard twice a month.

JBell

Veteran Member
TDI
None
I haven't read anything indicating that they have fixed it. VWoA told me that our '12 model had the updated design but if it's supposed to look like the kits they are sending out, they are wrong. I don't see anything different in my engine bay compared to the pics posted of the updated parts.

Jayg

Veteran Member
TDI
'12 Jetta 6MT-VW bought back as a lemon
I haven't read anything indicating that they have fixed it. VWoA told me that our '12 model had the updated design but if it's supposed to look like the kits they are sending out, they are wrong. I don't see anything different in my engine bay compared to the pics posted of the updated parts.
Thanks for the update, that's what I'm thinking too. I shouldn't have any issues but it does snow a few times a year here and we get temps in the teens and 20's for lows in the winter sometimes. I'll keep an eye on it. One of the many things it seems!

gumaku1

Veteran Member
TDI
perfect intercooler icing weather today in Ohio!!!! Snowy, 32F, wet and traffic was moving slow, light engine loads at 60mph on my 40 minute commute..... Now I will get to see if the intercooler kit is doing it's job, last winter was too mild to test it and see if it works.

Claudio

Veteran Member
TDI
09 Jetta SW
i got mine replaced yesterday under warranty, i have 103K miles on my 09
actually it was a great move from my dealer, i called to order the glow plug control module, by that they assumed that i was having cold start issues and ordered a intercooler kit for me, and replaced in 1 day under warranty!

mrutter1

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta DSG...sold 2013 Golf 4dr 6M w/ Tech Pkg
2013's with fix/update?

I have a 2013 Golf...what should I look for to see?...never mind; I saw some pics and will look for the updated elbow with vacuum switch and temp sensor.

Last edited:

Loafing

Veteran Member
TDI
09 Mexican Jet
Cold waether IC kit installed

VW installed cold weather IC kit on my J Monday (121029). 70km later (about 2 hrs after picking up J), warning lights, (glowplug & engine) & msg "return to workshop" on dash. Called service & was told could drive if not flashing so continued. Was parked about 2hrs, then continued on way with only engine warning light on. Of habit, I compulsively shut off engine on reds. On starting after about the 4th red, warning light ceased to show on dash (not sure whether it burned out or a bit of self healing took place ;) ). Tried to pop hood next day to have a boo. Latch didn't pop the hood. Back to dealer following morning & after about 1.5 hrs disassembly/reassembly woz on my way with all seemingly OK.
Any ideas on self healing warning lights or did the CPU just change its mind?

Planning same trip as last year where I hydrolocked on trying to return from 49 degrees latitude. Will take along rabbits foot:rolleyes:.

flyboy320

Veteran Member
TDI
2018 e-Golf
VW installed cold weather IC kit on my J Monday (121029). 70km later (about 2 hrs after picking up J), warning lights, (glowplug & engine) & msg "return to workshop" on dash. Called service & was told could drive if not flashing so continued. Was parked about 2hrs, then continued on way with only engine warning light on. Of habit, I compulsively shut off engine on reds. On starting after about the 4th red, warning light ceased to show on dash (not sure whether it burned out or a bit of self healing took place ;) ). Tried to pop hood next day to have a boo. Latch didn't pop the hood. Back to dealer following morning & after about 1.5 hrs disassembly/reassembly woz on my way with all seemingly OK.
Any ideas on self healing warning lights or did the CPU just change its mind?

Planning same trip as last year where I hydrolocked on trying to return from 49 degrees latitude. Will take along rabbits foot:rolleyes:.
Which dealership in Hamilton did you see (thinking my 2012 will show these symptoms soon, so looking for a dealership that has at least see the problem before)?

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Last year, some owners of 2012 reported issues. Time and weather will show if the 2013 still are afffected, but most likly they will.

Loafing

Veteran Member
TDI
09 Mexican Jet
Which dealership in Hamilton did you see (thinking my 2012 will show these symptoms soon, so looking for a dealership that has at least see the problem before)?
There is only one dealership in Hamilton (mountain) these days. Was told they did 3 IC's that day.

On Sat, strange noises started emanating from under the hood. Luckily, hood release works. Found a pipe touching one of the radiator cooling fans. Looks like another visit to dealership Monday morning.

flyboy320

Veteran Member
TDI
2018 e-Golf
Thanks loafing. This repair seems like a double edge sword. You get the repair done so no icing, but then sometimes the dealer screws other things up, damages the car, etc.....

gumaku1

Veteran Member
TDI
my dealer put my kit in with no problem, not sure what is going on with the other dealers....