GTD1449vz on CR150 question

C.M.S

TDI
A3 2.0tdi ea288
Hello everyone - First time posting on here.

I currently own a 2016 A3 2.0 TDI saloon with the EA288 engine, its the 150 version which has the turbocharger with the p/n; 04L253010B

Ive noticed a few people say they've fitted the "190 turbo" but ive not seen much information about it and if its truely a straight swap, although where i live its classed as the 184 turbocharger (GTD1449Vz)

I had enquired with a company a while ago, who said the turbo is slightly different - mainly just the actuator, so im just wondering if its a case of swapping the actuator round from the original turbo to this one? or if its plug and play with modification to the actuator, im in the u.k so as far as im aware the turbo inlet pipes are the exact same (5Q0 129 635), although the goal is to go with a hybrid gtd1449vz -and with any luck, getting close to 240-250 bhp will be a possibility.

Ive also been creating/testing some 3d prints of some custom parts to allow me to run a 2.25" (57mm i.d) pipe all the way from from the turbo to the charge-cooler utilising the O.E flanges, this has been in planning for the last month, and im just waiting for the parts to be machined before doing all the piping, i have tested neuspeeds 46mm turbo outlet pipe, which did make a noticeable difference - but i still think the original charge piping still tapers down too much (as much as down to 42mm, even when the outlet pipe changed for the nuespeed).

Pic here (if it shows up);

My next project which is currently being designed is creating a 3" turbo intake from the maf to the turbo (obviously tapering into the 52mm turbine housing), Im not convinced its going to do a huge deal of difference (if any atall) but theres not much options available - and if i dont try it then it will be sat in my mind if theres any difference to be had :eek:

TDIMeister

Phd of TDIClub Enthusiast, Moderator at Large
TDI
TDI
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?p=5117123&highlight=CR190#post5117123

PN is on the picture quoted in the above post.

Contrary to that post, though, CR190 is distinct from CR184 (code CUNA), and the Borg Warner BV43D of the former is of a bigger frame size than the GTD1449VZ of the latter.

The photos I've seen of examples for sale on ebay are that the exhaust manifold is integrated to the turbine housing. It should bolt up to your EA288 head (check to be sure, the earlier CR TDIs are EA189), but may not match up at the turbine outlet flange.

Last edited:

rpm-inc

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 beetle, 2015 golf s
I have a gtd1449vz hybrid and silencer from xman on my 2015 golf crua. I also bought a cr190 intake pipe. Went on no problem, and I returned the cr190 intake pipe as the stocker works just fine.

Jncasey

TDI
2015 Audi A3 TDI
Spoke to XMAN and Owain at Malone last night. Both recommend going with GTD1449VZ for drop-in replacement on my 2015 A3 TDI (CRUA). It's a hybrid charger, 56mm 6 blade billet compressor wheel.

Mschick

TDI
Skoda Octavia 5e 2.0tdi 150 bhp 2016

I currently own a 2016 A3 2.0 TDI saloon with the EA288 engine, its the 150 version which has the turbocharger with the p/n; 04L253010B

Ive noticed a few people say they've fitted the "190 turbo" but ive not seen much information about it and if its truely a straight swap, although where i live its classed as the 184 turbocharger (GTD1449Vz)

I had enquired with a company a while ago, who said the turbo is slightly different - mainly just the actuator, so im just wondering if its a case of swapping the actuator round from the original turbo to this one? or if its plug and play with modification to the actuator, im in the u.k so as far as im aware the turbo inlet pipes are the exact same (5Q0 129 635), although the goal is to go with a hybrid gtd1449vz -and with any luck, getting close to 240-250 bhp will be a possibility.

Ive also been creating/testing some 3d prints of some custom parts to allow me to run a 2.25" (57mm i.d) pipe all the way from from the turbo to the charge-cooler utilising the O.E flanges, this has been in planning for the last month, and im just waiting for the parts to be machined before doing all the piping, i have tested neuspeeds 46mm turbo outlet pipe, which did make a noticeable difference - but i still think the original charge piping still tapers down too much (as much as down to 42mm, even when the outlet pipe changed for the nuespeed).

My next project which is currently being designed is creating a 3" turbo intake from the maf to the turbo (obviously tapering into the 52mm turbine housing), Im not convinced its going to do a huge deal of difference (if any atall) but theres not much options available - and if i dont try it then it will be sat in my mind if theres any difference to be had :eek:
What have you found out? Im looking for a turbo outlet for my car before remaping the software. Is there a big difference without the silencer and the Neuspeed pipe?

majesty78

Veteran Member
TDI
Skoda Superb 3T5 CFFB
As even a BONE STOCK 184hp CR CUNA hits the EGT limiter on WOT, you will not be able to get anywhere near 240 or 250 hp with this turbo.

The turbo is limited by its TURBINE flow, so adding a bigger compressor wheel to this tiny GT14 turbine is just a rape of the overall turbo efficiency without any benefits.

As Peppe mentioned Darkside Developments, look them up on youtube, they did quite some r&d with real world numbers what can be achieved with the GTD1449V turbo. (Even though they also might have had to up the EGT limit to get a noticeable power gain)

adamss24

Veteran Member
TDI
audi a4 2.5 tdi 98 quatrro 6speed
I dont get this craziness with these tiny turbos to get hybridized…they are already struggling to make the rated power straight from the factory ! Get a man sized turbo and start bragging about it !!!

TDIMeister

Phd of TDIClub Enthusiast, Moderator at Large
TDI
TDI
As adamss24 and majesty78 have stated, the GT14 is turbine flow limited and no hybridization will get you to the desired 240-250 HP with any good results. Even a GTD1752VRK, which I like a lot, will be too small to be optimal for this power range, and you'll want to start looking at the GTx2056, where x=D being preferred, or a GTB2056VKLR.

I think the rationale for wanting to push the GTD1449VZ over the bleeding edge is because that's what comes originally equipped from the factory, so to be able to retain some modicum of bolt-on ability. Honestly, it's laziness and wanting to have your cake and eat it, too. Sorry, but when you want to play with increasing the power >50% over stock, you should expect to throw the fantasy of bolt-ons out the window or temper your target HP - otherwise, do some homework, be willing/prepared for some custom work and fabrication (or pay someone who knows what he's doing the big money to do it).

majesty78

Veteran Member
TDI
Skoda Superb 3T5 CFFB
The main problem is the endless flood of HOAX "Tuner" numbers floating around since "ever", which results in a complete distortion of customers expectance and to be honest in many cases it's a fraud.

But: Where's no prosecutor, there's no judge....

ryanp

Vendor
TDI
Arosa CR - 550hp - 9.7 @ 150mph 1/4 Mile, Citigo 4x4 CR TDi - 340hp, Caddy 2.0 CR 4x4 TDI - 300+hp, Golf Mk2 Van 1.9 TDI - was 290hp, Mk5 Ibiza 2.0 FR TDi - 270hp, BMW 135d - 360hp, BMW 330d - 335hp, BMW 335d - 380hp + a few more ........
Generally, if we don't make it, then its not worth making and these sort of hybrids are one such product!

Most tuners ignore the EGT's or disable/trick them and the customer deals with the consequences.

The GTD1752VRK is a very good turbo, but not if you only want a dyno figure, its a very good daily turbo.

clannnabanna

TDI
Golf 1.9tdi (mark 5)
I have an Xman GTC1556VZ hybrid turbo billet wheel (running 2.1 bar), S3 alloy intercooler, darkside turbo outlet damper, EGR deleted, inlet manifold cleaned, full custom 2.5 inch turbo back straight through exhaust & remapped to 240bhp.
Great daily driver & boosting from 1,700rpm until 4,500rpm.
Also the CR170 standard fueling system tops out at 245bhp so unless ur planning on the very expensive upgrade of CP3 fuel pump & upgraded injectors then there is no point in going for a laggy GTB2260VK turbo or something which wouldnt hit good boost until over 2,500rpm.

Last edited:

majesty78

Veteran Member
TDI
Skoda Superb 3T5 CFFB
Even if you list up your mods 3 times, it does not make the tiny GTC15 turbine bigger or higher flowing.

You can get a stock GTC15 into boost creep with the stock 49mm compressor, so adding a big 56mm compressor does massivly amplify the boost creep tendencies.

It's just a stupid thing to do, no matter who is the supplier, and no matter if you have a hyper mega super FMIC, exhaust or whatnot.

The bottleneck is the turbine.

And to date I have not once seen any logs with reasonable higher airmass from any of those "hybrid"turbo setups than can be realized with a stock turbo.

adjat84th

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 Jetta TDI/'15 Golf TDI
1752vrk got me 190whp/330tq, I probably could have gotten a bit more with upgraded injectors but as darkside proved the silly cylinder head flow limits the fun on these CRUA/CUNA versions of the EA288 and EGTs limiters will be hit no matter what. The CR190 would have likely not been much of a compromise for the money at that particular time though.
Injector upgrades aren't cheap, but are needed on the CRUA at least to get to the max power which is likely around 240whp with right sized turbo. CUNA has larger units already which is a big $aver. I ended up going down a rabbit hole with my car, hopefully others can learn from it though!

majesty78

Veteran Member
TDI
Skoda Superb 3T5 CFFB

To answer your basic questions:

The 184hp turbo will fit plug and play, actuator has same electric connector.

The actuator calibration is a bit different, but no need to worry, after installation use VCDS to calibrate the actuator to the ECU - done.

However, dont waste money for hybrid on this GTD14, as already been stated above.

Ty-Tdi

TDI
Leon TDI
Hi all. Any uodate on this? I have a CR150 and Im looking to get to 220hp. Will a standard GTD1449VZ do this power?

arazvan2002

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi A4 B6 1.9TDI AVF quattro
To answer your basic questions:

The 184hp turbo will fit plug and play, actuator has same electric connector.

The actuator calibration is a bit different, but no need to worry, after installation use VCDS to calibrate the actuator to the ECU - done.

However, dont waste money for hybrid on this GTD14, as already been stated above.
The actuator of GTC1549VZ can be calibrated on previos CR engines (ex CAHA), which have BV43a? I'm thinking to replace BV43a with GTC1549VZ. In software I didn't found a calibration map for actuator sensor.

adjat84th

Veteran Member
TDI
I believe it is "adaptation of turbocharger" in the adaptation menus and to be done with car at idle. Should hear the exhaust note change as actuator is moved from full closed to full open positions.

scrambld

Veteran Member
TDI
'06 Jetta...TDI/5spd :) >>>now a '15 Passat TDI/DSG
According to DS website info. If EA288 injectors are only good to support 260hp and they suggest a 2260 for upwards of 300hp (I know CP3 and injectors are needed to get there). What would a 2056 with stock injectors and an Xman CP3 upgrade get me on a US spec EA288 in a '15 Passat?
Edit: or even a 2060?

adjat84th

Veteran Member
TDI
There are different part numbers for EA288 injectors. CRUA flow much less than GTD (210hp vs 360hp), would bet the CVCA are similar to CRUA. And 280hp is all these cylinder heads will allow. No need for 2260. 2056 or 2060 would be good size. S&S Diesel can upgrade your stock injectors for 1100usd.

scrambld

Veteran Member
TDI
'06 Jetta...TDI/5spd :) >>>now a '15 Passat TDI/DSG
Yeah, I was seriously considering one of the "smaller" turbos as an upgrade. Thanks!

PS, didn't you go with a bigger turbo than the 2260? Are you using a 240hp biturbo UK 2.0L (with a single turbo) for the better head flow?

GolfSW98

Veteran Member
TDI
MK7 TDI
I have a GTD1449vz on the way, coming Monday. BNIB.
Now, I am seeing conflicting info on what other parts are required. Is it truly "Drop in/ PnP"? I see mentioned the 04L131111AD turbo discharge pipe. Not sure if that needs to be ordered as well. Is it the same one that comes stock? I think an install kit with gaskets etc is required. https://kermatdi.com/i-2660-cr190-t...=2015||make=VOLKSWAGEN||model=GOLF SPORTWAGEN

PN for turbo is 04L253010E V310 (184) stock, not hybrid
My vehicle is a CRUA-150

The kicker is, I want to keep the emissions gear on. 100%. Should work just fine right? Looks like Kerma does this stuff, but I hope Malone does this stuff too.

YanCT

TDI
1.6 TDI - 207hp - 420nm
Hello, yes you'll need the 184 stock turbo damper, as it completely different compared to the other engines. It's term of bolt axes.

GolfSW98

Veteran Member
TDI
MK7 TDI
Hello, yes you'll need the 184 stock turbo damper, as it completely different compared to the other engines. It's term of bolt axes.
What about the "TIP" 5q012965
Someone said that is needed as well,
You have a 1.6TDI is that correct?
Edit: on another thread someone said just the damper is needed actually. Ok good to know

Last edited: