Real World MPG with DSG

noplug

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS
I get about 39 mpg. Combined city hwy but it's a racetrack on part of my commute where everyone is going 75-80 including me (DC area).
Slow (65mph) highway gets me about 45mpg I have a 2015 Passat SEL DSG and this a sweet ride.
I had a 2015 Jetta 6 manual and got about 42 combined.
My 2003 alh 6 manual got 43.5 combined over 250k miles and sold her with 420mi on the clock still running strong.
Here's a Pic from my car minder application of the Passat DSG.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat Highline TDI Candy White (SEL Premium) long gone 2002 Jetta TDI
noplug wrote
"I get about 39 mpg. Combined city hwy but it's a racetrack on part of my commute where everyone is going 75-80 including me"

I barely get in around 40-42 Mpg and my normal cruising speed is around 70 Mph and not too often that I do 75 Mph.My mileage is taken over the time I've owned my car!

TDI Owner/Operator
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL
Lifetime average is 48-49 mpg hand calculated on my 2015. I just got 55.444 mpg on a segment of a trip I took this past weekend which is my personal best tank to date.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
about 45-48 with phase 2 and stock ECU programming at 40K on the clock in mixed driving. The wife drives the car to make it to work without a care for MPG, her commute is pretty good on MPG thou 50% at 45-50mph 20% around 30-40mph and 30% at 65-70mph.

franky67

TDI
2013 Passat TDI Se
My personal best tank to date was 52.2 mpg.
If I drive around 70-80mph with cruise control I will get 40-45mpg(ac low level).
If I drive around 65-70mph with low level I usually get 45-48mpg.
For 60-65mph I usually get 48-52mpg with A/C on.
I am trying to find a way to see 55mpg, I guess A/C off,cruise control, 55-60mph would give me that, but I can't stand truckers bothering me :D

Dan C.

TDI
15 Passat SEL
just completed a 1586 mile round trip from western WA to southwest MT and back, including over 100 miles of National Forest gravel.

Doing 80-90 mph on Montana interstates, 70 on state highways, and at least the speed limit or more everywhere else. The NF gravel had some stretches where I was questioning my intelligence of taking this car there, driving at walking speed, climbing over granite rocks the little TDI just lugging away and the DSG doing what its designed to do.

total trip avg was 38.6 and I'll take it.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
38 with some 80-90mph sprints is nothing to be ashamed of.

We did a 200+ mile weekend visit to the family on Saturday. Only used the MFD (waiting for the rest of the tank) but saw 55+MPG on the way up, speeds of 65-74 no AC, on the way back saw 53MPG with AC, same speed.

The Wife will finish the rest of the week commuting (60 mils/day) and we'll see what the the tank averages, prob the typical 46-48mpg.

On sunday we took the alltrack on another 200 mile drive to go for a hike, MFD average was 27 up and 34 on the way back, sadly it burned through 5/8ths of a tank too, i hate barely making it 400miles on a tank, I don't even hand calculate it as i get too depressed.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
And tank averaged 46.8MPG hand calculated, granted this was almost two weeks worth of commuting on top of the highway runs, it's amazing at how skewed that MFD is.

Codester

TDI
2013 Passat SE TDI
So far I’ve had my 2013 Passat TDI SE for a couple months and have filled up 2 times. First time was 40mpg, a lot of time idling at dealership as they had to change out intercooler. Second time was 44mpg and it was mostly my daily commute which is a short 8 mile trip to work at around 60mph, but the engine isn’t warm so the computer shows around 38-40mpg on those trips usually. And then my pet time job once a week is a 56mile commute one way at 60mph which is where the 50+mpg comes in. Also I have two kids and we often go to town and idle at different places. I am overall pleased with it. I will say my 2018 Chevy Cruze diese with 6speed never saw below 52mpg on a tank but it is a much smaller car and the manual helped. For a full size sedan with the capability is has, the Passat’s efficiency is very respectable

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
noplug wrote
"I get about 39 mpg. Combined city hwy but it's a racetrack on part of my commute where everyone is going 75-80 including me"

I barely get in around 40-42 Mpg and my normal cruising speed is around 70 Mph and not too often that I do 75 Mph.My mileage is taken over the time I've owned my car!
It's kind of strange, but, from the dash, I seem to get the best mileage around 74 on my JSW. Oh, that was pre-fix.

Last edited:

Tom in PT

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat sedan - SOLD; 2013 Passat DSG; both purchased new
I finally took a high speed (for me at least) highway run of about 200 miles, 90 percent highway at 70-75 mph, around 44 mpg indicated. At more typical speeds for me of 55-60 I am in upper 40s to around 50. Where I live the speed iimit on 2 lane highways is 55 to 60. '013 with DSG, 36,000 miles, stock.

CallMeColt

TDI
2012 Passat SE
I have had mine for 2 weeks & I'm averaging about 42 MPG. Mostly highway between 65-70. Though, half the highway has lights that it seems like I catch red at all of them in the morning. Have put about 1,000 miles on in the two weeks.

03 shaker

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SEL
My average for the last 25k miles has been 42.7 hand calculated, I'm good with that for this car.

On a similar topic, has anyone actually put 18 or 18.5 gallons in their Passat? I've run mine to where the gauge was almost on E and even topping off the most I've ever put in is 16.9 gallons.

Mraar0n

Veteran Member
TDI
Volkswagen Jetta tdi 2014
My average for the last 25k miles has been 42.7 hand calculated, I'm good with that for this car.

On a similar topic, has anyone actually put 18 or 18.5 gallons in their Passat? I've run mine to where the gauge was almost on E and even topping off the most I've ever put in is 16.9 gallons.
Wish I could get 16.9 in, most I got in was like 15.4 with like 10 miles to empty

Tom in PT

Veteran Member
TDI
I never let the fuel level get that low, especially in a diesel. You do not want to run out completely.

On winter fuel my average takes a 3 mpg hit.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
I think my highest fill was just under 16 gallons on the JSW. That was fuel dripping out the filler neck. I've noticed this year that QT seems to have changed their detergent additives and the winterized fuel is much foamier. That causes the pump to click off about two gallons from full. Remember that these tanks are the same as for the gassers so there is built in expansion room and vapor recovery systems that can make over filling possible.

nicklockard

Torque Dorque
TDI
SOLD 2010 Touareg Tdi w/factory Tow PCKG
The reason so many european cars sold there are manuals is because the streets are much MUCH narrower, generally twistier, and generally a lot busier with pedestrian traffic, small scooters, and car congestion. Add to that under ground garages that have tiny spaces and narrow ingress/egress paths.

If you've never had to navigate that, you'd wonder what the big deal is. But trust me, it's 10 times easier with a manual transmission because you have fine movement control in complex situations (uphill, turning right, on bumpy roads, leading out of parking garage, waiting on pedestrian to clear, but not wanting to wait 10 minutes for the next gap). Try that in an automatic, and you'll get nowhere fast.

Plus, the manual REQUIRES your engagement. More neurons are deployed during active driving. You're just paying more attention to everything, because you have to. A part of your brain is always dedicated to listen to and feel the drivetrain sounds and vibrations and know if you should be in a different gear. The longer you do it, it become totally subconscious and second nature.

And, costs of living are often higher with lower wages there too, so the economics of simpler, more repairable, more robust are actually factored in more in purchase decisions.

It's not because Germans are control freaks or about the peen size, it's for these practical reasons.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I'll argue all the points of your first and second paragraph as giving the edge to a manual tranny. I've seen more people bump into other cars, garage posts, etc while trying to find the gear of getting the clutch to engage. I don't care how long you've been driving a manual or how good you think you are, there will still be times that your car will roll between the time you let off the brake and get the clutch to catch.

You last points are much more likely. Manuals are cheaper to maintain, lighter weight, and offer (typically) better mileage. The efficiancy can play into the tax braket in many European countries. Smaller cars are widely used and a manual tranny would be easier for the maunfacturers to shoe horn into the design.

Shiznoz

TDI
2010 Jetta SEL, 2012 Golf, 2015 Passat SEL
I had a 2012 Golf TDI manual with the 2.0. All intake and exhaust work getting 55 MPG. My 2015 Passat with DSG and the 2.0 is getting much less. Low 40s average.

batenays

TDI
2015 B7 Passat
This post is pretty old but I figure I’d share my experience.

I commute 75mi round trip everyday, as well as drive around a lot, and take 200mi+ road trips often. I average 35mpg+, I fill up once every ten days.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
About the same for my Beetle and my Daughters Passat. Longer trips at slower speeds it can go up. Hard to go slow around here though when a lot of the roads are 75+ limited. 85 in some places. Most +5 or 10 on top of that.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Pre-fix, I found that around 72 mpg was the sweet spot for my JSW. Haven't taken as many long trips since fix becasue of the pickup. It's become our road tripping truck.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 with about 75k miles on the clock, wife drives it 95% of the time of about 50-55 miles aday without a care to MPG. been averaging 44-47. Sadly her commute is about 40% highway, on longer road trips >100 miles we're closer to 48 MPG over a tank, depending if we catch 3 or 4 regens.

Tom in PT

Veteran Member
TDI
How much excess fuel does a typical regen burn in a VW diesel? I once calculated the regen in my Ford 6.7 and it worked out to be roughly a 1/2 quart. Nothing to be too upset about unless you are on the Ford sites where they are a bunch of crybabies when it comes to regens.

In my VW, I go through regens often and the instantaneous fuel economy does not seem to budge, whereas in the Ford the mpgs drop bigtime for 7 miles or so on a typical regen.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I've never noticed a drop in the mileage display due to a regen in either my VW or my Ram. I think that since most of them occur while driving, the amount of fuel consumed is fairly minor.

x1800MODMY360x

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL
How much excess fuel does a typical regen burn in a VW diesel? I once calculated the regen in my Ford 6.7 and it worked out to be roughly a 1/2 quart. Nothing to be too upset about unless you are on the Ford sites where they are a bunch of crybabies when it comes to regens.

In my VW, I go through regens often and the instantaneous fuel economy does not seem to budge, whereas in the Ford the mpgs drop bigtime for 7 miles or so on a typical regen.
Not sure about actual driving, but in idle with in Drive my GPH (Gallon Per Hour) is average 0.35 AC off / 0.45 AC on and / 0.73 AC on Regen active.

chubby

TDI
'14 Passat / '15 Treg LUX
2014 with full Rawtek (cat and resonator, turbo to tip), local DSG tune, Malone stage 2. At 58 mph average, 180' above sea level, flat ground.... each morning that I can maintain that perfect throttle touch, I can regularly see 50 -52 mpg in a 22 mile commute..