2006 Jetta 1.9 TDI dies on startup

Twilbanks

TDI
Brm
2006 Jetta 1.9tdi - after sitting overnight the vehicle will start with a rough idle and almost immediately stall. Some times it can be restarted immediately with a smooth idle and there time is will crank a while before it will restart. Any thoughts?

Twilbanks

TDI
Brm
Vehicle has new lift pump, tandem pump, and cam was recently installed. All of this need to be done, but does not seem to have helped the issue.

Twilbanks

TDI
Brm
Codes were checked by the guy that replaced the Cam (2-3 weeks ago). It was clear before he began his work. I personally do not have VCDS and have been unable to locate anyone that has one within 2 hours of me.

relumalutan

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta TDI Special Edition
Codes were checked by the guy that replaced the Cam (2-3 weeks ago). It was clear before he began his work. I personally do not have VCDS and have been unable to locate anyone that has one within 2 hours of me.
I'll send you my VCDS, for free (you only pay for shipping and a security deposit).

JETaah

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
96 B4V, 1999.5 jettaIV,2005 BEW Beetle
Make sure that your EGR valve is not sticking open. If you get more exhaust than air it will choke out the engine.
Try removing it, manually shutting it, put it back in and leave it unplugged to see if it helps.

Last edited:

dmud

TDI
2006 Jetta BRM, 2012 Jetta CJAA
I had this issue with my BRM and it ended up being the ASV getting stuck closed or partially open from a plastic gear in there breaking and it was just chocking out the engine so I took out the ASV and it runs fine now