Goodbye ECOdiesel - totaled while parked @ 429,466 miles

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Didn't I already give an offer? Man I hate doing that. The whole situation just makes me sick to my stomach. Wouldn't be so bad if you two were a couple of d-bags. :p

$500? Not sure even about that, since my wife would probably want to murder me.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
$500 is a good starting point for this awesome little car - poor thing... :(

Anyone else? Engine runs and drives very well, great power, starts right up, Koni red shocks, Koni blue sport springs (over $1000 in suspension), Mk3 TREK interior. You could even drive it home if you were feeling adventurous. :D

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
One could argue crossing the continent in a 50-something horsepower car is adventurous anyways. I've done it multiple times, though. ;)

Last edited:

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta that I fill by myself
50-something car?

I don't know what that means.

Ah. I see it's 50-something Horsepower now.

Last edited by a moderator:

VeeDubTDI

TDI
If you're talking about horsepower, I think the ECODiesel is more like 75 or 80 these days. :cool:

VeeDubTDI

TDI
Make it happen! Would love to see this thing go to a good home. :cool:

Kingcodez

Veteran Member
TDI
00-Beetle
What happened with this? IE what did the insurance company do? Are they giving you book value, or are they going to replace it?

VeeDubTDI

TDI
They paid us less than we wanted for it, but I suppose it's still a fair pay-off. We bought the car back for $100, which I think was pretty cool.

TomJD

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI GLS, 2015 Golf TDI
I hope and pray that this engine finds its way into another car. Wouldn't that be neat if someone could keep it living for years to come!?

Well, I did finally get the hitch on the Golf....
What kind? I had asked a welder friend of mine to make me one, but I am afraid to let him touch my car.

TomJD

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI GLS, 2015 Golf TDI
Well I hear that is the one to get. Only good reviews. My only qualm is it doesn't have a receiver to put, say, a bike rack.

tca32123

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta GLS TDi, Platinum Grey, Grey Leather, ESP, Monsoon Radio and 2003 Jetta Wagon TDi, Forest Green, slush box for the wife
For reference of where the car was parked originally -- it was about where the police cruiser is in the last picture. :eek: That girl was definitely going over 25 mph when she hit the car... that's a pretty good run considering she had only made it 150 yards up the street.

Ok, so my inner nerd came out to see if we could calculate how fast she was going. Looking at your video, the only relatively accurate distance i could see was your neighbors driveway. the average width of a driveway is 12 foot. using a stop watch, i averaged out how fast it took her to go the width of the driveway -- avg was .31667 seconds.

12 feet / 5250 feet in a mile = .002273
.00273 / .31667 second average = .007177
.007177 * 3600 = 25.8732 mph

now if the driveway is only 2 foot wider, that puts her up to 30 mph. if you could get an accurate measurement we could get a better idea of her speed.

VeeDubTDI

TDI
Ok, so my inner nerd came out to see if we could calculate how fast she was going. Looking at your video, the only relatively accurate distance i could see was your neighbors driveway. the average width of a driveway is 12 foot. using a stop watch, i averaged out how fast it took her to go the width of the driveway -- avg was .31667 seconds.

12 feet / 5250 feet in a mile = .002273
.00273 / .31667 second average = .007177
.007177 * 3600 = 25.8732 mph

now if the driveway is only 2 foot wider, that puts her up to 30 mph. if you could get an accurate measurement we could get a better idea of her speed.
Another member averaged the number of pixels making up the car's wheel and used that to extrapolate data, coming up with an average speed of near 40 mph, if I remember correctly. It's back a few pages in the thread.

The width of the neighbor's driveway at the sidewalk is 12 feet. At the curb it is 16 feet.

Distance from the end of the street to the point of impact is about 365 feet. (all measurements are according to the measurement lab in Google Maps)

Last edited:

TDIFanatic1.9

Veteran Member
TDI
1.9 Jetta TDI
Glad to see you got your new wheels.
Cannot believe the amount of damage to the Jetta while the Toyota looks like it only broke its headlight, Just shows you how car structures improved in 20 years.

VeeDubTDI

TDI
The *Mazda* was in the body shop for about 3 weeks. It sustained quite a bit of damage to the front bumper and passenger's side light and fender.

Ski in NC

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta ALH 5sp stock
Glad to see you got your new wheels.
Cannot believe the amount of damage to the Jetta while the Toyota looks like it only broke its headlight, Just shows you how car structures improved in 20 years.
Front ends of cars are much beefier than back ends. If two identical cars are involved in a rear-end wreck, the damage will likely be worse to the one hit in the back.

VeeDubTDI

TDI
They live across the street... that's about it. We hadn't even met them until ditzball creamed our car one lovely afternoon.

VeeDubTDI

TDI
That thing definitely needs some love... engine work, interior and body work. I'm not sure i'm up for a challenge like that at this stage in the game. :(

Gluhkerze

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf 2DR TDI Stick
RIP... I just ordered my DVR cam system. I have been putting it off for so long... Your video(s) made me make it happen. I have been doing tons of research and made a BIG purchase to suit ALL my needs. (overkill system, but too much is perfect) :)

Thanks for the nudge, guys! & sorry to see such a fine machine scraped...

VeeDubTDI

TDI
The Archer avatar is great. :D

Please post pics of your camera setup once you get it installed. :cool: