How accurate is trip computer for ave. MPG?

atikovi

Veteran Member
I've put around 500 miles on this 06 Jetta and it says over 54 MPG. I've driven a mix of highway and around town. Is this possible or typical? The only mod is a Rocketchip tune and the wastegate is blocked fully open.

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
ALL trip computer MPGs are an approximation. How accurate is yours? The ONLY way to answer that question is to calculate your MPG the old fashioned way...at each fill-up with pencil and paper/calculator.

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
If you don't own it for more than a tank or two, then what difference does it make????

...you must be flipping it???

dandywriter

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Golf Wagon 6M
Automatic or 5 speed manual? See my avg mileage in signature (equates to 41.4 over 335 tanks). My best ever was 52.6 US mpg and I was highway only driving 55 mph...

Here's a link to fuelly (for 2006, any body style, diesel) that shows a distribution "Based on data from 417 vehicles, 32,450 fuel-ups and 15,543,124 miles of driving, the 2006 Volkswagen Jetta gets a combined Avg MPG of 39.38 with a 0.06 MPG margin of error." http://www.fuelly.com/car/volkswagen/jetta/2006?engineconfig_id=291&bodytype_id=&submodel_id=1139

Last edited:

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Dangerous to advertise any MPG, unless you have proof. Again, the ONLY proof would be your own experience, with appropriate receipts.

prsa01

Veteran Member
TDI
14 jsw 6m, 96 B4v, miss my a4 :(
As other's have said, we can't tell you how close your computer is. I can tell you mine was always at least 10% optimistic and usually closer to 15%.

My A5 manual, driven ~70/30 hwy/town, was usually pretty close to 44 mpg each tank. Computer would usually be up around 50. Those numbers are similar to what I have seen from others but VERY dependent on driving mix, fuel, driving style, etc.

soot1

Veteran Member
TDI
Currently none. Formerly: 2010 VW Jetta TDI 6M, 1993 Dodge Ram W250 Cummins 5M 4WD, 1990 VW Jetta Diesel 5M, 1986 VW Jetta Diesel 5M, 1980 VW Uabbit Diesel 4M. Currently driving 2018 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4WD.
Yes. If I advertise it as getting 54 MPG I'd like to be sure it does.
If the display says 54 MPG, then you are perfectly within your rights to tell that to any potential buyer. VW designed and manufactured that gauge, not you. Therefore, it is VW, not you, who is responsible for its accuracy and you have every right to rely on the information the gauge presents to you, subject to any limitations described in the owner's manual, if any. Furthermore, fuel mileage will vary widely based upon driving style, ambient conditions, road surface, etc., etc., which is another reason why no one can prosecute you for saying what the gauge does.

turbodieseldyke

Veteran Member
TDI
98 jetta
no one can prosecute you for saying what the gauge does.
Just because it's not illegal, doesn't mean you should do it. Stating "54 mpg" in the ad implies that you've been keeping records, and 54 is your reported average. This is obviously not the case here.

People interested in TDI's are aware of the mpg advantage, and know how to look up stats on epa.gov or wherever.

relumalutan

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta TDI Special Edition
This is what I did: I used the fuelly app to get accurate MPGs, then I have adjusted the reading on my car using VCDS. Now the display is off only by 1 MPG.

soot1

Veteran Member
TDI
Currently none. Formerly: 2010 VW Jetta TDI 6M, 1993 Dodge Ram W250 Cummins 5M 4WD, 1990 VW Jetta Diesel 5M, 1986 VW Jetta Diesel 5M, 1980 VW Uabbit Diesel 4M. Currently driving 2018 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4WD.
Stating "54 mpg" in the ad implies that you've been keeping records

No, it does not. It only implies that you have some way to back up your claim, and there is absolutely nothing wrong, let alone unethical, about saying that the vehicle's fuel economy gauge is the source of that claim.