I was stupid

Spinnerx29

TDI
2001 jetta TDI
Had a fuel leak in the injection pump. ordered the seals from dieselgeek as I have done this before. What I didnt do was re read the instructions and ended up pulling the pump head out too far :( . It made no noise when I started it, just a runaway rpm situation . How do I align the guts ? God I feel stupid :(

burn_your_money

Veteran Member
TDI
99 Beetle, 96 B4V, 05 Passat wagon
You can ignore the first 42 pictures. They won't apply to your situation.

Start at picture 43 "Next, you install the cross-shaped piece that drives the rest of the pump:"

Going from memory at most you'll have 24 pieces to get back together excluding the head and rotor.

I'll be surprised if nothing is broken but maybe you got lucky.

If you want to ship it to me I can put it back together.

mk3

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Jetta GLS 5-speed
Sorry to hear this - unfortunate situation : (

are you *sure* you pulled the head out too far? why?

I did the head seal on my pump last week - first time I have done more than simple hammer-mod to the pump.

Key steps were:
- remove center plug from end and insert a small drill bit
- turned engine manually using a wrench on the crankshaft - had my daughter watch for the drill bit to reach maximum which must be during an injection stroke. I found this tip somewhere... Puts the pump internals under tension.

- loosened the pump head until I could get access to the o-ring. I had it fully exposed but not much further than that.

When I tried to start the car I *thought* something had gone wrong because of how easily the engine seemed to be turning with no firing whatsoever. However, figured out there was just too much air in the lines. I loosened all the fuel lines a crack to let them all leak (and put towels around them) while I was cranking and eventually got a tiny bit of life. Then started tightening the lines and cleaned up the mess.

Maybe this is all obvious - but it was new to me.

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 & 2003 Golf GLS (2005 Mercedes E320 CDI)
Stupid or not, I'm still impressed with anyone who has the guts to mess with a pump! (I'm sure that someday I'll work up to it, but for now I'll just live vicariously through others.)

wonneber

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagon,2003 Jetta 261K Sold but not forgotten
Stupid or not, I'm still impressed with anyone who has the guts to mess with a pump! (I'm sure that someday I'll work up to it, but for now I'll just live vicariously through others.)
The write up with the pictures of the pump totally disassembled was done very nicely.

I wouldn't go that far myself. :D
I seem to recall a thread where someone who took the front hub off was stepped through using a dial indicator to get the high spot.
I didn't understand how they figured which spot was for cylinder 1.

I'm not as adventurous for this in my old age. :)