Blown turbo, hydrolocked, now low compression..?

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 & 2003 Golf GLS (2005 Mercedes E320 CDI)
My luck the used motor would be available now but when the motor takes a dump I won't be able to find a used one. :(

Must have missed where oil was added for the compression test.
Even if a ring broke the head would have to come off and the same height check.
No, oil was not (wasn't specified it was done) added FOR the compression test. The were concerns that residual oil might have altered the compression numbers, but it seems like any such oil is likely no longer there.

If no one knew otherwise and was given these compression numbers no one would be offering up the possibility of a bent rod.

I see the following as possible ways to go forward with this:

1) Drive it and monitor (if other signs of problems then look to get ready for a big job), perhaps run another couple of compression tests after a little bit;

2) Pull the head and check piston-to-deck height- and if you find what you're likely going to find then you're pretty much then committed to correcting it (even though it may not be all that significant, as the recent compression numbers seem to show).

One could pick up another engine and rebuild it and have it available as insurance. I've got a complete car just for this reason! (zero down-time)

Nevada_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
After I lost my turbo the engine tried to runaway, but I stopped it. A few day later I tried to start the engine and it turned for maybe 1/4 of a second and then groaned to a stop. At that point I knew I had oil in the cylinders and let loose of he key. Yes it did hydro lock, but I did not worry about it as the engine was not running. I consequently pulled the injectors and blew all the oil out by cranking the engine over, there was a fair bit of oil that blew out the open holes at that point. Due to the fact I was pulling the injectors anyway, it just seemed as the most efficient way to clear the cylinders.

akandrew

TDI
2002 Golf TDI 5 Speed
I guess I'm going to get wait it out and see what happens.. do to my lack of experience and cost of repair vs a used engine seems to be worth the risk.
Haha that would be my luck too that none would be available when I need it!

Thanks again for all the advice everyone!

Last edited: