Thoughts from A4/A5 owners

amit9

Veteran Member
TDI
None...
Hello fellow tdiclub members,

Just wanted to get some thoughts from members who are A4/A5 model owners. I think many of the A4/A5 owners like me may be thinking, if they still want to buy a diesel vehicle as their next one - which vehicle to buy after their current one? Are you thinking of keeping your current one and drive it into the ground?

I've been following the emissions issue a little bit. Has anyone bought an A6 TDI after the emissions issue was discovered? Have you got the software recall done? How's the fuel economy after the recall?

I have a 2003 ALH with 271K kms. I've owned it for 10+ years. It's in decent shape for it's age. I would like to keep it. But at the same time the thought that there won't be any newer model (after 2015) VW diesels in Canada anytime soon (or not at all), has got me thinking if I should buy a less used 2014-2015. That way I will have a newer car for the next few years. The ALH is getting older day-by-day, however it's still strong and reliable for my daily use (knock on wood), and still gets 5.5L/100kms on an average in mixed driving. I know I won't get much resale value out of my ALH. So still undecided what to do.

Thoughts?

Thanks.

REDNECKDZL

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta, 2015 Jetta, 1984 Wabbit TD, 1986 RX7 waiting on AHU swap
I liked my 2011 Golf wagon and 2015 Jetta, but if your ALH has life in it, i'd just keep driving it, i only bought new cars cause i need something newer for work

the emissions crap is what fails on most of the newer ones, i'd go pre def cars though if i were to get anything.

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat Highline TDI Candy White (SEL Premium) long gone 2002 Jetta TDI
I had similar thoughts as amit9 does. My 2002 Jetta would probably last for many more years. A number of little non-mechanical things needed doing. I too thought who knows if or when VW would sell another TDI, so I bought a 2015 with 9000km on the clock last year.

imo000

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 M-B ML320 Diesel & '05 Passat TDI Manual 5-Speed
If your car passes safety, eTest and is in good shape then it is worth a few grand.

P2B

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Jetta, 2003 Jetta, 2003 Jetta Wagon
I just spent 1400 to have rust fixed on our ALH wagon - new fenders, repaired rockers and hatch. Now it's good cosmetically and mechanically. It only just turned 200k kms, should be good for another 10 years.
Simon