Odd coloured diesel fuel.

2.2TDI

Veteran Member
⠀⠀
I filled up a few days ago at an esso station and after driving a bit I had to top off the washer fluid. In doing this I noticed in the fuel line that the colour of the fuel had an extremely strong contrast and seemed to be somewhat green/yellow... Filled up yesterday with petro Canada while I still had around 3/4 of a tank left and the color seemed to go back to the normal clear like yellow. I'm just curious what made the esso fuel look like that...

40X40

Experienced
TDI
2013 Passat SEL Premium
I filled up a few days ago at an esso station and after driving a bit I had to top off the washer fluid. In doing this I noticed in the fuel line that the colour of the fuel had an extremely strong contrast and seemed to be somewhat green/yellow... Filled up yesterday with petro Canada while I still had around 3/4 of a tank left and the color seemed to go back to the normal clear like yellow. I'm just curious what made the esso fuel look like that...

A dye that was introduced somewhere along the manufacturing/distribution path.

As long as the fuel is not RED colored (meaning no road tax has been paid and you cannot use it in your car on public highways) you are good to go, no matter what other color it is.

Bill

Wingnut

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta Wagon
It might be the 2% bio diesel content that was quietly phased in earlier this year. I noticed it even in the summer, sometimes the fuel was yellowish green, sometimes it was clear depending on the station I filled up at.

craig01b

Top Post Dawg
TDI
None
Lord between the ethanol in gas....( the only one I can find without it is shell 94) now this.....the ethanol in small carbed engines has been clogging things up steadily. Now bio in diesel. I only use ethanol free in all of my small equipment, and when I use ethanol based premium in my wife's car, I get a steady 10% worse fuel economy compared to the no ethanol fuel. Both premium.....will this be the next reason they get us to buy the premium diesel....no bio? Oil companies have us over the proverbial barrel, with the government encouraging them as we get poorer fuel economy, and they collect the taxes.

Wingnut

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta Wagon
From what I understand, the federal mandate is 2% NATIONALLY. So its possible that fuel sold in BC is 4% and 0% here. Or 3% in Alberta and 1% here, for example. All diesel does not have to be B2 as long as the national average is 2%.

Kinda sucks actually because I would prefer a bio blend and I cannot find anywhere that sells it, even though we produce it locally here in the GTA. It is either used in corporate fleets (hydro, municipalities, etc) or exported to the US. It simply is not available at a retail level.

2.2TDI

Veteran Member
⠀⠀
Interesting, I wasn't aware that Canada had a B2 requirement. If we are to assume that this esso fuel had no bio diesel in it, then is it just up to the manufacturer to decide what dye they throw in it? Only wondering because as I mentioned, the Petro-Canada diesel was of different dye, and I'm sure at this point there diesel is a winter blend aswell

craig01b

Top Post Dawg
TDI
None
Why would u prefer it Nigel? After dealing with the after effects of the ethanol, these additives and alternatives make me skeptical. Carb floats and needle valves, a cruddy white residue. My local stihl dealer who are small engine experts, tell everyone buying their machines to avoid the ethanol. We will see next spring after a year of no ethanol. I started the trial with the BMW early this summer, and my wife had no idea, I just started to fuel her car for her( nice guy right!). About 6 thanks of fuel...10%...and her driving habits don't change much. Just her regular commute.

Uberhare

Veteran Member
TDI
Too many.
Winter fuel sucks. Down 100k per tank already.

I noticed a slight drop in economy a few months back that also seems to coincide with the bio mandate. I used to love the smell and extra power from B100 in my old IDI. But at that time the savings was equal to the loss of economy so I was OK with it.

craig01b

Top Post Dawg
TDI
None
That is what I thought, no worries about oring swelling? The litany of leaking pumps after bio use is considerable. Perhaps in low concentrations it's ok. Like ethanol, problems will come up after longer use, and higher levels present in our fuel.

2.2TDI

Veteran Member
⠀⠀
Winter fuel sucks. Down 100k per tank already.
I noticed a slight drop in economy a few months back that also seems to coincide with the bio mandate.
Big time... I'm down about 100-150km per tank as well (including all other factors aswell.)

Wingnut

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta Wagon
That is what I thought, no worries about oring swelling? The litany of leaking pumps after bio use is considerable. Perhaps in low concentrations it's ok. Like ethanol, problems will come up after longer use, and higher levels present in our fuel.
I have run B20 on occasion when it was for sale in downtown Toronto. I did get a pump leak from it. Changed the head seal and all was fine. In lower concentrations, I'm sure it would not be an issue.