Air box Service Indicator from CAT

Bean Eater

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf, Blue, auto
I bought a generic brand restriction indicator from the local truck parts outlet for $20.00. It comes with a brass fitting that has a tiny orifice as well as sintered filtration material to dampen any surges of high vacuum. This should be a common feature. I'll post operational results after I install it tomorrow.

Betzel

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta
Getting back to anyone who cares, regarding the CAT #8N-2694 and the CAT #1W-0613 (both listed as "indicator" in the CAT parts system and both supposedly measuring the same thing), and filters I have tested them with, it appears that the latter part number is somehow much more sensitive than the former - or it was defective, I'm not sure.

The CAT folks at Southworth-Milton were not able to really determine what the difference was between these things in the time I had to spend at the counter this afternoon, and it now seems academic. With due fairness, they sell CAT parts for CAT applications and I'm sure they thought I was nuts and I think their assessment may be essentially correct
. However, if there was no difference, I believe they would not make and stock 2 separate items.

To see what was up, I installed a low restriction or high-flowing filter (Amsoil 2-stage oiled foam w/ their oil) and read the results with the first (1W-0613) indicator and found these results (instantly moving from green to yellow on a new filter) to be identical to those on the paper filter I got from dieselgeek as I reported earlier on in this thread. BTW, Jim's filter in this test was a Mahle paper filter from Austria. So, somehow the paper filter registered the same airflow restriction on this indicator as the Amsoil foam filter did. Don't ask me how or why.

Now, with the new indicator (the CAT part Pete has suggested (#8N-2694 - installed today), neither filter has measured as clogged, so I believe several things may be gleaned from my trouble, pending peer review:

1) The 1W-0613 registerd both filters as partially clogged (moved from green to yellow the same amount with a clear snow screen on a power run through 4th gear - WOT), which is not a true measure of either filter's level of clogging. The the foam and the paper were both new, and I believe the foam flows better than paper - relying on Amsoil literature and Greg's recent testing. So, this CAT part was either defective or was being used in the wrong application (Maybe it is for a lawn mower?).

2) I found it odd that the paper and foam measured similarly on the suck-o-mometer. While I admit the results are not controlled and scientifically valid, the indicator did register on the verge of red before I cleaned the snow screen, so it was not "sticking" in the yellow range - and I could pull it to the full red range with manual suction. I guess I have no idea what this data means.

3) I've decided if it is possible for me to buy the wrong part # and install it, I will consistently screw it up. I saw Pete's installation of a kewl gadget at the TDIfest and bought mine before Pete had posted what I believe to be the correct part # in this thread.

4) I paid $21.51 for my 8N-2694, so CAT prices vary quite a bit by region.

5) Maybe the sensitive part # works better for our cars? While it measures an initial restriction (incorrectly), it detects a partial buildup on the snowscreen quite well, and may measure minute levels of filter restriction sooner than the other one(?) Only Caterpillar HQ knows for sure, I guess.

Who knows? My CAT dealer is not as interested in the details of the differences as I am, and I am not sure I can blame them. Time will tell if Pete's (and others) filters clogs up on them and the progression is properly indicated on the gauge, as I suspect has been and will be the case.

Wait and see?

MarkIV

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf GLS Silver/Black, 2006 New Beetle Pkg#2 DSG Red/Black
I've had this installed since new (6/01) on my '01 Golf GLS 5-sp: http://www.dieselpage.com/epc.htm Mine is scaled for 25" water. It is installed facing the driver on the top side of the air box. Now with 21k miles on the Tdi, I've averaged about 5k miles per air filter...OEM paper filters only. I live at 7400' elevation with a relatively sandy and dusty climate. Threw away the snow screen since it was totally plugged at just a few thousand miles. Found early on that I had been running with a plugged snow screen, resulting in the bypass trapdoor in the snorkel opening so the engine could get air...replaced one air filter prematurely. I found that it takes about 25" of restriction in the snow screen to open the trap door.

car54

theGAME
TDI
2002 Jetta
My truck has a filter restriction gauge mounted on the dash of the truck, so you dont even have to open the hood to check. Its always right in front of you. Just for grins, I stopped the engine with my hand one day, and a few weeks later I nearly sh1t myself when I saw the indicator stuck at the very end of the red zone.

It took me a few minutes to remember what I did and stop worrying.

jackbombay

Top Post Dawg
TDI
A4 Jetta
Have seen this on a friends powerstroke, I want one. I think that the vacum is measured in inches of Hg (mercury), H2O will be drawn 28 feet heigh by a total vaccum while Hg will be drawn about 30 inches heigh by a total vaccum, this fits the 30" scale on this device fairly well. The boost gauge in my turbo gasser has vaccum and is measured in inches of Hg. I could be wrong about the 28' and 30" numbers.

-Jack

jackbombay

Top Post Dawg
TDI
A4 Jetta
I can still type fairly well for having my foot in my mouth up to my knee. I bought one of these today from the kenworth dealer and it is clearly marked in inches of H2O, I suppose you dont want the filter causing anywhere near a full vaccum. It will be installed 14 hours from now. Mine cost 22 bucks and change.

-Jack

GeWilli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
none in the fleet (99.5 Golf RIP, 96 B4V sold)
soooo almost 6 months later - you still on the same air filter DBW?

anyone actually experienced the indicator working?

Petron of Texas

My Ford 1997 F350 7.3 Power Stroke came with the filter change indicator stock.
I just called the local Ford dealer, and priced this part. the cost was $20, and the numbers are easy to read.
It looks just like the picts of the Cat one.
If you could find a Power Stroke in a wrecking yard, you might get it for a buck or two.

MarkIV

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf GLS Silver/Black, 2006 New Beetle Pkg#2 DSG Red/Black
...indicator works well. Usually reading 8-14" (WATER-COLUMN) at the end of my 5k-mile service intervals...using OEM paper filter.

Stupid dusty roads here. There's been more sand, cinders and salt tossed on the roads than there has been snowfall this winter. Tonight might bring the first sizeable snowfall of the season. At least the salty-white roads won't freeze over first thing.

jackbombay

Top Post Dawg
TDI
A4 Jetta
My restriction meter seems to be all over the place. I have seen it maxed out twice, reset it then it was only one click up for some time. My car is new, 4000 miles, and it is winter here so there is very little dust. I think my snow screen is getting plugged with snow causing the meter to read clogged. Anyone had similar expieriences?

-Jack

Friday1

TDI
03 Jetta Wagon 5 speed, 2012 JSW 6 speed auto, a sweet ride.
The service indicator is designed to register correctly only if you run the motor at full boost. Just one time will set the restriction meter. If you never stress your motor it will not read correctly. Friday 35 years heavy duty truck tech. 19 weeks, 1 day til I retire to:
www.dyno-power.com

jackbombay

Top Post Dawg
TDI
A4 Jetta
The service indicator is designed to register correctly only if you run the motor at full boost. Just one time will set the restriction meter. If you never stress your motor it will not read correctly. Friday 35 years heavy duty truck tech. 19 weeks, 1 day til I retire to:
www.dyno-power.com
I use full throttle/boost up to 3800 fairly often and end up with random reading on my restriction meter, I'll pay closer attention to see if it is snow related.

-Jack

Drivbiwire

Zehntes Jahr der Veteran
TDI
2013 Passat TDI, Newmar Ventana 8.3L ISC 3945, 2016 E250 BT, 2000 Jetta TDI
So far so good on my OEM filter and Airbox. The filter is not yet showing any restriction with the last filter installed. I think I have over 25,000 miles on this filter to date.

DB
145,000 miles and counting, filter was installed at 120,000 miles.

SheeB

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta GLS Manual
Funny, I was just thinking the same thing as I just came across this thread ressurection.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
BUMP? looking to snag one as well

EddyKilowatt

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf GL 5M
Okay, my turn to give this a bump. What's been the long-run experience with these for folks who have 'em installed? Anywhere to buy them online? (No truck dealers near me.)

chromeBuddha

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf TDI manual
I am guessing they have indicators for turbo and non-turbo applications with the non-turbo having a weaker spring as they will have negative performance at a lower restriction level due to the lack of SUCK....

eb2143

Top Post Dawg
TDI
None
If anyone is still looking for pictures, look here: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=194193&highlight=cat+filter

My long run experience is a bit odd (4ish years).

Initially, with a new airfilter (installed them at same time), it was showing quite a bit of restriction, in the area of 25'' WC. Snowscreen was clean.

Already not really trusting it, I reset it a couple times. Well then I noticed, that without changing the filter or cleaning the snowscreen, it was no longer showing restriction. It's been that way since, never rising much above 5-10''; last airfilter replaced 20,000 miles ago based on miles rather than the restriction meter. I'm just going to replace them every 40,000 miles. If the restriction meter suddenly starts shooting up, then I will probably trust it and replace before 40,000. I don't know what to think of it honestly. Maybe there was some install issue that was/is causing the wacky readings.

SheeB

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta GLS Manual
Hmm, just checked my CAT indicator which was installed over a year ago and there is no restriction indicated on it at all? Now I'm curious and may have to change the filter and see. I do not have the snow screen installed as I have the later version cold weather filter with foam installed.

Anita!!

TDI
2003 1.9 L TDI Jetta Wagon GL, 5-speed manual
:confused: Prior to changing my air box filter (Mahle paper), my indicator read 25 "H20, just shy of "red". after reset and a drive, reading was at 25. snorkel and snow screen were cleaned prior to a recent long drive, but i should check those items again.