how do the green and blue cluster connectors come apart?

hskrdu

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Golf GLS 4D 5M, 2015 GSW SE 6M
From memory: Once the cluster is loose, pull away from the dash until there is pace to get your hands to the connectors. There is a swing gate that needs to be rotated to unlock. Will try to post a pic fro my cluster swap.

Last edited:

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
16 year old thread, that could be a record.
Push, Pull, Push, Pull usually does it. Small screwdriver can sometimes be used to release tangs. Terminals themselves require a special tool or bent over paper clip.
Maybe post us a picture of the one you can't get apart.

hskrdu

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Do not push and pull, rotate the pivoting gate. And remember, necro-posts are both the proof that someone searched, and the antidote to starting new threads for topics that already exist.

Last edited:

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 & 2003 Golf GLS (2005 Mercedes E320 CDI)
WHOA! That ^^^ went sideways!

Think of it a throw switch. The latch is seated and the "handle" pulls up and rotates back toward the other side/end. When it's seated it's got a bit of a "catch" to it, so you have to gently pop that- I use a small pick and, GENTLY, pry it up in a rearward rotational motion. As that handle rotates free and pivots back the connector rises up: it's an awkward feeling when you re-seat things.

Not a lot of room to work with here. If you push any of the wire harness back there around be sure that they BOTH come out from the far left side (NA cars). I managed to thread the left harness incorrectly and couldn't figure out how to get enough slack to get the connector back ON: seemed a bit counterintuitive.

Judson

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta
Thanks but not what I'm asking for folks! I already have the cluster removed, done so many many times.

I need to remove the covers to access the actual wires/pins underneath. I don't want to break something while attempting to do so!

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
..................... And remember, necro-posts are both the proof that someone searched, and the antidote to starting new threads for topics that already exist.............................
I couldn't agree more. If everyone would do this we'd have way less threads. Would think if his connector has a lever, he would have tried that, but who knows...........
I've broke a lot of plastic over the years.

hskrdu

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I had a hard time figuring out the pivoting connector, and the rest of the set-up, too. I wrote up a how-to after my cluster swap (still in progress), but most of the last 3 years, the server wont upload my pictures without multiple errors.

Judson, sorry for delay. When you say "covers" you are referring to the small cover on the blue & green connectors that allow access to the pins, right?

I'm trying to post the rest of the pics which I think might help:

hskrdu

Top Post Dawg
TDI
IIRC, you have to rotate the pivoting arm to allow the harness underneath to move, and then slide the purple cover out. See above.

Judson

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta
"he would have tried that."

I'm still here, BobhOH. LOL!

OK, figured it out while you other folks were posting. There's an end cap that slides down and off. Then, using a small flat-head screwdriver, one pushes on the other end into the larger of two little slots. Then the white connector affair slide out easily.

Now i have to figure out how the pins are numbered!

Last edited:

Judson

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta
Yes, that pic is good, but note that one has to clip off the cable tie first. And it does help to push with a small screwdriver, though no doubt it'll probably slide out if you pull.

It's just that when it's yer first time, you want to be careful not to pull or pry on anything too hard around there. At least, for people like me with fumble fingers.

Anyway, Woohoo! Got the little barbs out! Thanks folks.

Numbering is next. Have to figure out 23 through 26 - i.e. from which side I count.

Judson

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta
So, in the old thread, it looks like in the picture of the green connector, the black wire is in slot #17. The first four pins are taken, and oddly enough so is the one for the bonnet switch. Are we supposed to have one in our TDIs???

17 - reading coil for immo 2
18 - oil temp & level warning signals
19 - data bus (CAN), high input signal
20 - data bus (CAN), low input signal
21 - vacant
22 - bonnet switch input signal (connect to T15/5 of the CCM)
23 - MFI call up button, top
24 - MFI call up button, bottom
25 - MFI memory switch - reset
26 - ambient temp input signal
27 - data bus (CAN), high output signal
28 - data bus (CAN), low output signal
29 - vacant
30 - clock**
31 - data**
32 - enable**

VE1.9

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLX 5spd
So, in the old thread, it looks like in the picture of the green connector, the black wire is in slot #17. The first four pins are taken, and oddly enough so is the one for the bonnet switch. Are we supposed to have one in our TDIs???

17 - reading coil for immo 2
18 - oil temp & level warning signals
19 - data bus (CAN), high input signal
20 - data bus (CAN), low input signal
21 - vacant
22 - bonnet switch input signal (connect to T15/5 of the CCM)
23 - MFI call up button, top
24 - MFI call up button, bottom
25 - MFI memory switch - reset
26 - ambient temp input signal
27 - data bus (CAN), high output signal
28 - data bus (CAN), low output signal
29 - vacant
30 - clock**
31 - data**
32 - enable**
All MK4 cars have the bonnet switch. It tells the CCM when the hood is open or closed as part of the alarm system. It was only the 2001 and 2002 cars that also had the bonnet switch wired to the cluster. This signal tells the cluster when the hood is open or closed, which is displayed on the FIS screen if it has one.

The bonnet switch signal at the cluster also works with the oil level/temperature sensor signal. Notice that you also have a wire in slot 18 for the oil level/temp signals. This is all because for some reason, VW decided to pre-wire the 2001 and 2002 cars for the oil level/temp sensor, but none of the MK4s on this side of the pond ever came with one. Maybe you can take advantage of that and make it your next project.

Judson

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta
Ah. Explains a lot. Thanks!

I got everything wired up yesterday but am working on multiple wiring projects since everything is apart, so won’t he able to test it out until later. This includes the OAT sensor (though I’ve lost the clip temporarily).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk