2" lift and horrible tire wear

sisyphus

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5, '01 A4 Jetta sedans, 5 sp box, Hamman mod, Joey mod, Bilsteins, 2.00" lift
So this is kind of a mystery to me. I understand the camber on mk4's is more or less unadjustable. This is my fourth Jetta mk4 I've owned and all of them have negative camber (worn on the inside). Except for one, which has positive camber( worn on the outside edge).
Right now I'm trying to deal with the worst one, which has eaten through a good pair of tires in less than a year, it has cords showing on the inside edge.
I took it to an alignment shop and they said "ah, it's your balljoints." So I just had the car up on a jack and checked myself, sure I can rock the wheel in and out but the movement seems to come from the strut mount.
Figuring hey why not, I went ahead and did one ball joint.

What does anyone else with a lift do about tire wear?

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 golf tdi 4 door auto now a manual, mine, 2000 golf 2 door M/T son's,daughters 98 NB non-TDI 2.0, 2003 TDI NB for next daughter, head repaired and on road,gluten for punishment got another tdi 2001NB,another yellow tdi NB
I have five cars that I have lifted, three NB's an 2 golfs......none of them have the wear as you describe .

On mine I have that problem on the rear sets of tires on my golf, I'll get three maybe 4 years out of them.

When I do the front lift I adjust the bottom of the knuckle all the way outboard then tightened the three bolts on the lower ball joint.

Are you sure the toe in is set correctly?

sisyphus

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5, '01 A4 Jetta sedans, 5 sp box, Hamman mod, Joey mod, Bilsteins, 2.00" lift
I have five cars that I have lifted, three NB's an 2 golfs......none of them have the wear as you describe .

On mine I have that problem on the rear sets of tires on my golf, I'll get three maybe 4 years out of them.

When I do the front lift I adjust the bottom of the knuckle all the way outboard then tightened the three bolts on the lower ball joint.

No, I'm not sure.
I might just order a set of strut mounts because I don't know how old they are and they do wear eventually.
Insofar as the rears, I had a Jetta that had worn rear axle bushings. I removed the beam axle and did the bushings, problem never came back. It was easier than I thought.

coalminer16

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf 2004
I used the 034m front mounts as they don't sag. And I didn't have issues with tire wear with larger spring and a two inch kit.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

sisyphus

Veteran Member
TDI
What's an 034 mount as opposed to the standard ones?

maxmoo

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 golf, 2001 golf, 2000 beetle, 2003 wagon, 2004 golf, 2004 jetta, all diesels
Your lift kit does not cause tire wear.

Upper strut mounts, unless they are extremely bad, won't either.
Bad alignment which can be caused by worn parts like ball joints, or a shifted subframe will cause excessive/unusual tire wear.
Once you removed your ball joint it should have been obviopus if it was bad or not.

jmodge

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 alh Jetta, RC2 w/.205's 5speed daily summer commuter and 2000 alh Jetta 5spd swap, 2" lift, hitch, stage 3 TDtuning w/.216's winter cruiser, 1996 Tacoma ALh
Donna's car just did the same thing to both tires. I found a bad ball joint on the right and the left a bad upper strut mount. I could grab the strut and move it in and out. Probably not the lift.

BorisBug99

TDI
99 beetle

What lift did you use if i may ask? I've been thinking of doing this.

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
What's an 034 mount as opposed to the standard ones?
Now that you changed the ball joints and ? you should take it back in for alignment. Tell them, maybe show them the lift kit.
With the kind of tire wear you describe, something must be off.

coalminer16

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf 2004
The 034m is just stiffer rubber so it doesn't compress as fast. If compressed and a large enough bump in the road you can move things a little more then they should. And you loose more height.

Just did my lift yesterday with the metal nerd one. Boy was that needed. The orange koni shocks weren't doing the best either. One front and back had oil on the shafts and corners weren't fun bouncing around to the edge. My 81 rabbit shouldn't be better then my 05 golf. Good now.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

OlyTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
'04 Golf
My lifted Golf (Jetta wagon rear and VR6 front springs, front spacers, Koni FSDs, 034 bushings) has not produced any abnormal tire wear on 205/55/16s. My lift is about 3 inches from where it was when too low and probably 1-3/4 inches up from stock height.

Franko6

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
Jetta, 99, Silver`
Everyone is talking around the point, but none to the issue. The issue: If you change the geometry of the shocks, you must compensate for the geometry of the wheels to some degree by allowing for correction of the camber, caster and toe-in for the tire.

In the older VW front suspensions, there was an allowance for the strut towers to be moved with eccentric bolts, much like one of the adjustment points on the '06 and later rear suspensions; a washer that is off-center. They did away with that adjustment too many years ago...

There are some aftermarket adjustable strut tower mounts, which are able to correct some of the camber/caster issues, but they are expensive and don't always get it there. The other parts to investigate are the front and rear control arm bushings on the steering suspension, as that will tend to make the tires go toe'd out and add the the negative camber problem.

Years ago, we found a quite elegant solution that fits for most situation's camber problem. We cut the lower ball joint slots with a carbide cutter to allow the bottom of the wheel to come in, as much as 3/8". Maybe a bit more, but only as much as is needed to make camber adjustable to stand the tire up at 0 degrees. Although by the book, VW likes to see the tire's camber to be slightly negative (1/4 -1/2 degree, we find that if the tires are stood up at a 0 camber angle, life expectancy of the tire is increased dramatically.

So, if you are on a good flat surface, with the tires properly inflated, wheels dead straight ahead, the toe-in and the camber can be reasonably worked out. Although the 'right equipment' is supposed to be able to get alignments accurate, I usually suspect the accuracy of the person setting up the equipment.

The final proof of an ignorant alignment shop is tires that wear out and the shop owner points the finger at you or the vehicle as the problem. If they are what they claim, their JOB is to MAKE CARS RUN TRUE. I sure wouldn't let the same company who installs my tires, sets the alignment incorrectly and then expect to sell MORE tires for MORE abuse? I think not....

Caster is a bit of a bugger as the caster may only be by bending the frame. Some small amount can be compensated for by loosening subframe bolts and knocking the subframe into a better position, but even the measurement of results gets a bit tricky. Frame measuring points of reference are needed and there is some guess-work. We have only gone after that problem when there is an obvious large variance in caster from one side of the vehicle to the other.

There is a limit to how much lift you can apply without changing the shape of some of the suspension parts. I am not certain 2" is an acceptable limit. We have a 20(3/4') and 40mm (1.5") front lift kit, which is cheap and effective, but the car will never be a 'stump jumper', nor was it intended to be. In the back we apply AirLIft bags, which is reasonably cheap and kinda fun, especially with a heavy load in the trunk

Last edited:

Timgoob

TDI
2003 JETTA
Frank more info on your lift Process please. Looking to do one on my mk4. Just started doing research.

indysoto

Veteran Member
bad tire wear 2" lift

I also had this problem my 00' Jetta sedan, it had been t boned though, fixed by one of the best shops but, still a little bit out of alignment. Pretty sure tire wear would have been about the same thou. Thinner the tires the better, and do more off roading pavement wears the tire faster ;)
PS. there is a audi/ passat a-arm mod that allows you to adjust a couple angles more than stock.

sisyphus

Veteran Member
TDI
Okay. I replaced the ball joints in this car and took it back to the alignment rack. They said it was waaay out but anyway here's the sheet they gave me after the alignment.
Obviously not much of it makes sense to me.
I told them the car was lifted, too.
I'd be curious if Franko6 would comment on it.