Low beams quit working

brewer13

TDI
'98 Beetle
Just got a '98 tdi beetle. The low beams suddenly quit working. High beams work. What are some common reasons? Dash switch, both bulbs, e brake not releasing? Also, on this year are there daytime headlights?

Thanks for any info.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
Check fuse, if not blown than it’s a relay issue. If blown fuse than it’s a shorted wire.
You need to grab a $10 volt meter from harbor freight or amazon. find out if you’re getting voltage to the bulb socket, and when the lights are supposed to be off, switch it to ohms (Ω). If you have a short you will read a value across the ground and one of the wires. If you get no values then you have no shorts and you can go to testing the switches and what not. Work your way back with a volt meter. This tool will be your best friend if you learn how to use its basics.

PB_NB

Veteran Member
TDI
1999 New Beetle
My 99 had Daytime Running Lights. Keep in mind that the low beams are separate bulbs from the high beams.

Check bulbs, fuses and relays. If that all checks out, try the light switch.
DRL's are controlled by releasing e-brake. However, low beams are controlled by the switch.
There is a relay that switches them on.
DRL circuit runs at slightly lower voltage than normal low beams being switched on.

i have my DRL's bypasses as I have new Euro style lights and the don't like the DRL confusion. I also have a Euro switch so I have more control over my lights.

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
If you lost both LB headlights at the same time then go Mongler's route, check the fuses. I cheapy $6 volt meter from HF is really a great investment, I have a couple.

You might also find similar situations if you posted up in the correct forum.

Steve

brewer13

TDI
'98 Beetle
Having a hell of a time getting the headlights out to check the bulbs. Battery and fuel filter in the way. Thinking of taking them out and having more room.

Also, do the low beam and high beam headlights run on the same fuse?

Thanks

PB_NB

Veteran Member
TDI
1999 New Beetle
There is a little tab that you need to gently push in (this is the lock) then you can rotate the lever and the lights should move forward a bit, then just wiggle them out and unplug them.

They may be stuck from many years of being there but be gentle not to break the plastic tabs.

Look on the side of the light housing for these tabs and levers. You shouldn't need to take out the battery. Try the passenger side light first so you can see how the mechanism works.

wonneber

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagon,2003 Jetta 261K Sold but not forgotten
Also, do the low beam and high beam headlights run on the same fuse?
Thanks
On mine there are 2 fuses for the high beams, 2 for the low beams.
Each low beam gets power from 1 of the fuses, both fuses get power from either the DRL relay or through the dimmer switch. (not sure if your has DRL)
You will have to check where you lost power.
Last, some have posted the fuses look good but are not.

brewer13

TDI
'98 Beetle
Thanks, but how do you know what 4 fuses are for the headlights? The fuse display is in international pictures and really make no sense.

vtpsd

Veteran Member
TDI
03 jsw TDI, audi 90 AHU swap
I started having funky light issues, I lost my high beams first. It was the actual switch. New switch fixed the issue.

paul_cat

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf TDI [ALH]
BOTH bulbs blowing out together is NOT uncommon, so that should be your first check. You should meter them, visual check is not reliable. Happened to me last month, I checked everything but, and it turned out to be just the bulbs...

wonneber

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Thanks, but how do you know what 4 fuses are for the headlights? The fuse display is in international pictures and really make no sense.
On mine its fuses 18 to 21.
I thought the picture had something different for the head lights, been quite a while since I looked.

wonneber

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I started having funky light issues, I lost my high beams first. It was the actual switch. New switch fixed the issue.
On mine the switch provides power to the directional switch which does provide power to his high beams.