FS: Malone Tuning flashzilla

Status
Not open for further replies.

BuzzKen

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
'10 Touareg TDI, '09 335D, '10 X5D
I have an unlocked Flashzilla I don't need. $170. Meet up in gta for pickup.

Last edited:

tassolake

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 TDI PD 5sp
I have a malone Flashzilla (canbus) sitting in my garage, unloved and usused. Why do these have to be unlocked? I purchased the malone tune for my car, and then purchased this flashzilla to install it. Now that the tune is in my car, why do I need to keep this flashzilla? My understanding is to unlock it, I need to remove the software from my car. This makes no sense. Why can not another TDI club member use my flashzilla to load another Malone tune in their car if they purchase the software?
I work in the software / technology space and understand the value of intellectual property (and expect Malone to make their money for the software provided) but why is this expensive tool a one time only use? Microsoft charges for the software not the CD it is delivered on....

Feel free to sckool me on this process....

Signed confused.
TassoLake at gmail dot com

maxmoo

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 golf, 2001 golf, 2000 beetle, 2003 wagon, 2004 golf, 2004 jetta, all diesels
I have a malone Flashzilla (canbus) sitting in my garage, unloved and usused. Why do these have to be unlocked? I purchased the malone tune for my car, and then purchased this flashzilla to install it. Now that the tune is in my car, why do I need to keep this flashzilla? My understanding is to unlock it, I need to remove the software from my car. This makes no sense. Why can not another TDI club member use my flashzilla to load another Malone tune in their car if they purchase the software?
I work in the software / technology space and understand the value of intellectual property (and expect Malone to make their money for the software provided) but why is this expensive tool a one time only use? Microsoft charges for the software not the CD it is delivered on....

Feel free to sckool me on this process....

Signed confused.
TassoLake at gmail dot com
corporate greed?

Wingnut

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta Wagon
It is not one time use. It can be used may times, but only by one vehicle at a time. The main reason for buying the flashzilla is for custom tuning. You are able to make changes on your own without any downtime (ie: mailing the ECU or haviong to visit a tuner). Just run some logs, send them to Mark, and he will send you an updated file that you can now upload to your car. Very common to get many files, especially if you are trying to fine tune bigger nozzles, bigger turbo, trying to correct boost spikes, etc.

If it is unlocked and has multiple files loaded on it, there is no guarantee that a customer won't sell the Flashzilla along with one of the files still loaded on the unit. By locking it to a specific VIN, there is less chance of theft.

If you just want a basic tune with no need to make future upgrades, you can choose to rent a programmer instead of purchasing one ($50 vs $200). Simply return it to Mark when you are done. That way there is no need to have the programmer sitting in your tool box collecting dust. Alternately, if you sell your car, simply put the factory file back in your ECU and the custom file back on the programmer and it becomes unlocked and can be sold.

Last edited:

tassolake

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 TDI PD 5sp
Wingnut you completely made my point, I purchased a tune that works for my car, plus I purchased a flashzilla. I should be able to keep my tune (I paid for it) yet sell my flashzilla. The flashzilla is just a fancy CD rom, a delivery method. I should have the right to share the delivery method with others on this fourm without having to delete software I have already paid for. Malone needs to revamp how their software works (this can easily be done without locking the delivery method).
I appreciate the retuning capability but that does not work for everyone, Likewise to rent the flashzilla was going to take weeks in my case.
The malone tune was installed just to defeat the stupid brake / gas set up on the stock ecu (can not press both at the same time, now I can). The load works, I should have the ability to recoop my cost of the flashzilla....

Victor Huge

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk7 Golf TDI
I agree with you tassolake, seems like a poor system. It would be much more reasonable if the tune itself was only flashable on a specific vin but the flashzilla remained unlocked making resale or lending possible.

Wingnut

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta Wagon
I know it sucks to have a $200 paper weight, but there were other options.

In a case like yours, a rental would have made more sense. Even though one was not available for weeks, was it really something that had to be taken care of ASAP? Secondly, given your location, an appointment with a local tuner wasn't easy, but would have been another choice. There is one in Barrie which is what, an hour or so drive?

If these tools were not locked, then anyone could buy it from you, and then upload a tune to their car without even giving Mark a Penny. Remember, the tune is just an e-mail file that can be sent to hundreds of people. So theoretically, you could download the file Mark sent you, copy it, and sell it along with the loader.

I agree with you tassolake, seems like a poor system. It would be much more reasonable if the tune itself was only flashable on a specific vin but the flashzilla remained unlocked making resale or lending possible.
You are right, that would be a better system. I am not a programmer, so i am not going to pretend to know how these things work, but if it were that easy, I'm sure it would have been done already. If he can't protect the file, he has to protect the delivery method.

Last edited:

Wingnut

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta Wagon
After saying all that, you do still have a way of selling your unit since it appears you do not need it for re-tunes. You can still rent an unlocked tuner. Simply return your car to stock so the Flashzilla becomes unlocked, then use the rental to return the file to your car. Or, next time you are in the GTA, hook up with a dealer and do the same. It may cost a small fee, but if it costs $50 to make $170 by selling you loader, you are still ahead $120.

Mark@MaloneTuning

Vendor , w/Business number
Blaine, Washington and Vancouver, British Columbia
TDI
'14 GSW TDI, '11 Golf TDI, '97 Golf Variant Syncro 1.9L TDI, '96 Golf 1.9L ASV TDI, '93 Eurovan Westfalia 1.9L TDI, '09 BMW 335d, '17 BMW 328d
It would be much more reasonable if the tune itself was only flashable on a specific vin but the flashzilla remained unlocked making resale or lending possible.
This is a great idea that we have considered for a long time. Not only it will allow us to sell more tunes, customers will also save money. We do not make any profit on each $190 FlashZilla sale (I try to make it as affordable as possible for everyone). Alas the FlashZilla manufacturer chose to limit the $190 units to 1 vehicle at a time. As someone here already stated - you can still move the $190 unit to a different vehicle, you just have to remove the tune from the current vehicle.

The manufacturer does produce true unlocked FlashZillas (can install tunes in an unlimited number of vehicles) but that costs $1100 each, so they serve as rentals. That price is also why we don't have so many rentals, so there is a wait list.

I understand that someone in this thread is upset he's not able to sell his FlashZilla without losing the tune in his car. However at the same time I still hear from customers who regret renting a FlashZilla instead of buying one, because they wanted to upgrade their tunes to support new hardware modifications (they ended up buying FlashZillas for the long run).

There may be a new flash tool solution in the near future but I can't reveal details yet :)

tassolake: I will buy your FlashZilla back if you can meet with one of our dealers to re-install your tune. E-mail me if that's what you want to do.

Cheers,
Mark

maxmoo

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 golf, 2001 golf, 2000 beetle, 2003 wagon, 2004 golf, 2004 jetta, all diesels
This is a great idea that we have considered for a long time. Not only it will allow us to sell more tunes, customers will also save money. We do not make any profit on each $190 FlashZilla sale (I try to make it as affordable as possible for everyone). Alas the FlashZilla manufacturer chose to limit the $190 units to 1 vehicle at a time. As someone here already stated - you can still move the $190 unit to a different vehicle, you just have to remove the tune from the current vehicle.

The manufacturer does produce true unlocked FlashZillas (can install tunes in an unlimited number of vehicles) but that costs $1100 each, so they serve as rentals. That price is also why we don't have so many rentals, so there is a wait list.

I understand that someone in this thread is upset he's not able to sell his FlashZilla without losing the tune in his car. However at the same time I still hear from customers who regret renting a FlashZilla instead of buying one, because they wanted to upgrade their tunes to support new hardware modifications (they ended up buying FlashZillas for the long run).

There may be a new flash tool solution in the near future but I can't reveal details yet :)

tassolake: I will buy your FlashZilla back if you can meet with one of our dealers to re-install your tune. E-mail me if that's what you want to do.

Cheers,
Mark
Several "virgin" dubs in our immediate family would be interested!:)

tassolake

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 TDI PD 5sp
Mark, thank you very much for the explanation and offer (very generous). It appears my frustration was mis-directed at your code, whereas it should have been the flashzilla manufacture. The price difference between the two units sounds like a licensing issue. I will accept this will be a dust collector for a while, and will not be able to share with others on this forum....

And that left foot brake tune was worth its weight in gold this winter.

khaki08

TDI
2014 Jetta

Cheers,
Mark
I just bought a 2014 Jetta TDi so I'm interested in seeing what the new flash tool will have to offer. I come from the pickup side of diesels and like having the ability to flash more than one vehicle with a tool. It's not free to flash each vehicle but I'm fine with that because I realize that the vendor that supplies the tool needs to make money on their product. It's what keeps them in business and continuing to develop support for new vehicles. I can't wait to see what I can do with the new Jetta.

--Duane

wild03

Veteran Member
TDI
:(
In the case that I return my 2009 TDI to stock, can the two tunes in my fashzilla work for another TDI? I have a stage 0.5 and a Stage 2.0 tune that I no longer need.

Planning on selling the flashzilla. and was wondering if the tunes are worth something.

Thanks.

Wingnut

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta Wagon
Email Mark and ask. From what I remember, the tunes are not transferable. But if you return your car to stock, the Flashzilla can be used on another vehicle, so can be sold.

HPsenicka

Veteran Member
TDI
2 x 2004 Jetta Sport BEW (Malone Stage 1.5), 2014 GSW TDI - Wolfsburg Edition, 2015 Passat TDI -Sport Trim
Nope.. the tunes are tied to a specific vehicle.. perhaps by VIN in the ECU, or some similar scheme. They are not transferable from one car to another.

As stated already, a Flashzilla can be re-used if the car is reverted back to the original/stock tune.

wild03

Veteran Member
TDI
:(
Nope.. the tunes are tied to a specific vehicle.. perhaps by VIN in the ECU, or some similar scheme. They are not transferable from one car to another.

As stated already, a Flashzilla can be re-used if the car is reverted back to the original/stock tune.
Thank you for the answers. Malone was kind enough to reply in private as well.

84 GTI

TDI
2001 Jetta
And that left foot brake tune was worth its weight in gold this winter.[/QUOTE]

I don't mean to side track this post, but what exactly is a left foot brake tune?

Status
Not open for further replies.