2015 Passat Bypass oil filter

JeffOC

TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL
Has anyone used one on this engine? I have a 200 mile daily commute and would like to extend my oil change interval. I've seen some threads on other engines, mainly swaps.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
The engine bay on that car is CRAMMED full of things already, I'd not add anything to it. It will likely just increase the risk of something rubbing through and causing many more problems.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
I don't see much point in a vehicle with such a small sump capacity.

JeffOC

TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL
I've measured and there are a couple places it could go. Drivers side front corner or underneath on the drivers side protected by the skid plate. The car has a aluminum skid plate that is a pain to R and R.
I'm not sure how sump capacity would matter one way or the other. It adds two quarts. But mainly keeps me from crawling under it every month.
It seems that truck guys use them quite a bit and I haven't seen any reports of catastrophic engine failure linked to them. I thought maybe car guys had tried some.

Last edited:

oilhammer

TDI
You drive 10k miles in a month? You said 200 miles a day. Even if you did that EVERY DAY, that only is around 6k miles a month, and you probably take a weekend or two off at least? I hope for your sanity you do!

JeffOC

TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL
No you're right. just 1000 miles a week. So I change it every 10 weeks. And this winter it feels like more. I replaced a Toyota with 400,000 miles with this car. That I would go 15,000 and it felt like so much longer between changes. The trans finally went on that.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
I think you'd be better off sucking out the oil topside and changing the filter every other change. Also, maybe do a UOA or two and extend the interval a bit if the results are positive (they should be).

JeffOC

TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL
I think you'd be better off sucking out the oil topside and changing the filter every other change. Also, maybe do a UOA or two and extend the interval a bit if the results are positive (they should be).
I was thinking of doing the topside oil change at first. The part that worries me is not changing the filter. I've been getting the Hengst filters from ID parts and they seem like a good brand. I never thought about the oil analysis though. I'll do that the next oil change and see how it comes out.

oilhammer

TDI
I do not gen enough SCR-equipped TDIs in here to draw a good solid base, but the non-SCR CR TDIs post-fix really soot up the oil bad, worse than before, and often result in oil filters that are collapsed in upon themselves with soot after the normal 10k miles. I would for sure not want to let one of those go twice the interval.

The CKRAs and all the 2015s may not be as bad. Theoretically anyway, as SCR should allow for less EGR, less DPF regens, so less soot-laden oil.

A UOA would at least give some scientific data to that.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
start sending oil changes to blackstone oil lab for analysis. word is that you can milk the oil changes out to 13K to 15K oil filter has NOTHING to do with oil change as good filters can go for 20K. better off paying up for a better filter
IMO if you DID go with a relocation kit, i would cram in there a 10 micron cat filter with a wix heavy duty adapter. filters are $20 a pop, the adapter relocator is $30, some 3/8 fuel line, some fittings, proper hose clamps, and an adapter to stand off from the original location for another $100. call it a good $200 to do the job and what did you save? the filters are not going to last any longer! so whats the point? making the oil last as long? its not just about contaminates. Oil has viscosity and that changes as heat breaks it down. nots not about the dirt, its the heat. Your not going to be able to push the oil to 20K unless you stray from the oil spec you need for the car. That 20K oil is actually just that but your not going to get the oil you need.
i would just send your oil out for analysis and see if you can push it further. and save your $

JeffOC

TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL
start sending oil changes to blackstone oil lab for analysis. word is that you can milk the oil changes out to 13K to 15K oil filter has NOTHING to do with oil change as good filters can go for 20K. better off paying up for a better filter
IMO if you DID go with a relocation kit, i would cram in there a 10 micron cat filter with a wix heavy duty adapter. filters are $20 a pop, the adapter relocator is $30, some 3/8 fuel line, some fittings, proper hose clamps, and an adapter to stand off from the original location for another $100. call it a good $200 to do the job and what did you save? the filters are not going to last any longer! so whats the point? making the oil last as long? its not just about contaminates. Oil has viscosity and that changes as heat breaks it down. nots not about the dirt, its the heat. Your not going to be able to push the oil to 20K unless you stray from the oil spec you need for the car. That 20K oil is actually just that but your not going to get the oil you need.
i would just send your oil out for analysis and see if you can push it further. and save your $
It's not really a relocation kit, it keeps the original filter and adds a ultra fine filter. My understanding about the bypass is that it will extend the original filter life by removing soot. Of course these are the claims, I've no experience with it yet. But if I do install it I'll monitor it with oil analysis. I'm going to do one at my next oil change to give me a baseline. The car has 38,000 on it know so it's probably a good time to see what it's doing.
I'm not going to try and put it together myself. I'll be buying a system off the shelf. So $300 to $400.

Last edited:

SilverGhost

Veteran Member
TDI
'05 Golf - totaled :(, wife's '13 Beetle - buy back, TDIless
Oof! I just looked up the SSP for that engine. No easy way to plumb in a bypass oil filter on that engine.

Also with 2 stage oil pressure system and combined vacuum pump I would be careful getting too "creative" hooking into that system. I think a quality oil and oil filter, and do oil analysis to verify good intervals, is the best bet.

Jason

JeffOC

TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL
Well, you folks may have talked me out of it.
It sounded like a good idea but with my lack of diesel knowledge I'll forget about it for now. Save the money to put toward a heated garage.
Thanks everybody.

adjat84th

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 Jetta TDI/'15 Golf TDI
Do a UOA to determine extended intervals, but keep in mind warranty issues would want to see proof of 10k changes. Without certain emissions bits in place, these engines can very easily go past 10k changes. I don't think I'd go too far in stock form though.

jjblbi

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SEL TDI
I commute 700 miles a week with my 2014 Passat now at 202k miles, changing the oil and filters at 10k intervals topside. With a Pela extractor I can change both in ~ 30-45 minutes, including clean-up. Get the ten pack of filters from ID Parts. Good luck, John

oilhammer

TDI
I commute 700 miles a week with my 2014 Passat now at 202k miles, changing the oil and filters at 10k intervals topside. With a Pela extractor I can change both in ~ 30-45 minutes, including clean-up. Get the ten pack of filters from ID Parts. Good luck, John
The OP has an entirely different engine than you do.