ESP button: What does it do?

moosejaw

Veteran Member
TDI
*Sold* 2005 Passat GLS TDI Shadow Blue
My first time in a snow storm I was almost run over by a semi because of the esp. Cruising on the highway and run through some deep snow. The esp jammed on the brakes and I lost 20mph very quickly and the truck almost ran me over. No amount of throttle mashing will regain your speed, you are a sitting duck.

If I could set the toggle to off by default and turn on when I want it, that would be ideal. We did fine before all this crap was developed and I can live without it most of the time.

I really hate the logic they have programmed for the esp/traction control. On a steep hill by work I constantly spin the tires making it very difficult to climb the hill from a stop (when it is damp out). Yet at highway speeds the thing works too well.

I realize the intent is to prevent accidents and broken axles but seriously, did they even validate their programming in real world driving conditions? If the esp/traction control is engaged and the user still has the throttle signal at WOT, the program should release the braking power somewhat. I am not talking about an oversteer/loose condition just straight line zero yaw conditions.

Last edited:

TheGrove

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat SEL Premium Opera Red - Dieselgate Fix, KermaTDI Tune, 2004 Passat GLS Northern Green-RIP
Smokerr said:
It should be on most of the time, but it does have its limitiations.

After a stop with ice and or snow condtions, it will not allow you to accelerate. In that case, turn it off, get up to 20 mph and then re-activate it.

I have a case of one steep hill where it has to stay off for the entire climb as it just leaves you boggled down.
Same here, I have to turn mine off in the winter when the bottom part of my drive is snow covered or I can't make it up the 1st incline.

Smokerr

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat Wagon GL,2005,Silver
The ESP is what I call European thinking.

I don't know if anyone follows it, but the big debate between Airbus and Boeing on controls is do you limit what the pilot can do (Airbus) or let them override the controls if need (Boeing). I agree there should be an auto override capability in the VW other than having to reach down and push the button.

I have not had the sudden slow down occur, though any deep snow has been at low speeds in the sud divisions.

Mostly I turn it off when I get going and back on once running, it does a good job on ice, though I continue to chew on if I should just stay out of ESP in the winter as switching back and forth between vesicles causes brain split issues. Mostly I do fine, but if not paying attention.......

Scubanero

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat Wagon
moosejaw said:
If the esp/traction control is engaged and the user still has the throttle signal at WOT, the program should release the braking power somewhat. I am not talking about an oversteer/loose condition just straight line zero yaw conditions.

In straight line zero yaw conditions, it doesn't apply the brakes, just limits the engine power to minimize wheel slip.

I leave mine on always and have never had a situation where I would rather it were off and that includes plenty of icy and snowy roads. Good winter tires probably factor in that as well.

MOGolf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf GLS TDI Reflex silver, rough road suspension and steel skid plate, 2004 Passat Variant, Candy White, rough road suspension and geared balanced shaft module, and much, much more. 2016 LR RR HSE TD6, 2019 Jaguar I-PACE
Scubanero said:
In straight line zero yaw conditions, it doesn't apply the brakes, just limits the engine power to minimize wheel slip.
Not true. It will apply the brakes at low speeds if starting off from a stop on a slippery surface. This is the ASR/EDL functionality kicking in.

moosejaw

Veteran Member
TDI
*Sold* 2005 Passat GLS TDI Shadow Blue
Ah, so it cut the power to stop spin and the road condition slowed me down. As OH and Mogolf can attest, there hasn't been a deep snow here in a few years. So I haven't been able to test/recreate the condition so I can learn how to handle it.

Scubanero

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat Wagon
MOGolf said:
Not true. It will apply the brakes at low speeds if starting off from a stop on a slippery surface. This is the ASR/EDL functionality kicking in.
Based on knowledge of the programming or experience?

I have heard the brake application in a lateral skid situation, but never on accelerating, no matter what the speed. It may apply brake force to a spinning wheel to transfer torque to the non spinning one, but even so, would not slow you down.

blaz

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Passat
Scubanero said:
It may apply brake force to a spinning wheel to transfer torque to the non spinning one, but even so, would not slow you down.
Exactly, because you are trying to accelerate on a slippery surface. This is how a good many modern traction control systems operate.

MOGolf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf GLS TDI Reflex silver, rough road suspension and steel skid plate, 2004 Passat Variant, Candy White, rough road suspension and geared balanced shaft module, and much, much more. 2016 LR RR HSE TD6, 2019 Jaguar I-PACE
Scubanero said:
Based on knowledge of the programming or experience?

I have heard the brake application in a lateral skid situation, but never on accelerating, no matter what the speed. It may apply brake force to a spinning wheel to transfer torque to the non spinning one, but even so, would not slow you down.
Personal experience. 200 miles of it today.

rcracer

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 MK7 GTI S 6MT, Previous: 2012 Golf DSG w/ Tech Pkg
Old post ... unable to find via search otherwise! Thanks!

Did the 1999 models [New Beetle for me] have ESP?

Much appreciated!

:D

imo000

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 M-B ML320 Diesel & '05 Passat TDI Manual 5-Speed
My '00 GLS Jetta TDI didn't have one and I don't think it was an option on the TDI. I did see iton a 1.8t Jetta. I hink the ALH engines were too weak to need a traction control. The 1.8t only had traction control, I don't think stability control.was available on any of the early MKIVs.