Some questions re: my DSG Transmission (2013 JSW tdi)

joesaiditstrue

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta Sportwagen 2.0L DSG
So I'm a new member here and this is my first post. I've googled my specific question, but cant seem to find any information so here I am. Thanks in advance for any help given!

My previous vehicle was a 2003 Trailblazer, which only came in an AT which obviously has a torque converter. Going to my JSW with the DSG, I'm noticing very different behavior characteristics and was curious if it's normal or if I should take it to the shop while I still have some dealer warranty coverage remaining

So my question is in regards to when I'm coming to a stop (perfect scenario would be when I'm pulling into a parking spot, driving slowly... maybe 8-10mph). When I take my foot off the gas to let the car coast into parking position, it feels like for a brief moment that the car is in the wrong gear. It's hard to explain, almost as if it should be in 1st but it's still in second. Then right before I come to a complete stop, the transmission seems to come unloaded and the car gently coasts before I apply the brake.

Is this normal? I need this car to last me a long time, I already verified that the last DSG service was done at 40k, and it just ticked 80k and will be having it done again in January

This is the first dual clutch setup I've owned, and havent owned a real manual transmission in 15 years

Thanks!

Growler

Got Soot Vendor
TDI
Schmutz, 2015 Golf Sportwagen DSG & Schnurren, 2001 Golf GL 2 door 5M
Pretty sure its acting normal. the DSG does feel a little different than your average slushbox from a chevy.

JD_2012GolfTDI

TDI
2012 Golf Kerma tuned
So my question is in regards to when I'm coming to a stop (perfect scenario would be when I'm pulling into a parking spot, driving slowly... maybe 8-10mph). When I take my foot off the gas to let the car coast into parking position, it feels like for a brief moment that the car is in the wrong gear. It's hard to explain, almost as if it should be in 1st but it's still in second. Then right before I come to a complete stop, the transmission seems to come unloaded and the car gently coasts before I apply the brake.
Is this normal?
I'm in my first dual clutch car also. Sounds normal. The clutch disengages like a manual when coming to a stop. When starting from a stop the same re-engaging of the clutch can feel a little weird compared to an automatic. The worst thing for the DSG is to be creeping along in stop/go traffic with the brake applied, where a lot of excess heat can build and clutch wear.

It takes some getting used to but I really like the quick shifts and downshifting. I'm better about selecting S vs. D vs. manual for certain conditions now.