Coasting from stop vibration/ very Faint chirping

Twglace

TDI
2013 Jetta SportWagen
Hey guys I just purchased my first TDI it’s a 2013 Jetta sportwagen with the DSG transmission. I freaking love it!

IDK if this is even an issue or just how these transmissions are but when I go from park to drive/reverse (shifts very smooth & quick) but when I just take my foot off the brake and it coasts without any fuel being applied it seems to have a slight vibration with very faint chirping soon as I give it some fuel(super small amount) it smooths out and the noise goes away. This also happen when I’m in stop and go traffic if I’m stopped and start to coast without fuel being applied it has the same vibration. I did try to slightly rev in N and I did hear a slight clunk when it unloaded.

Motor mounts ? Dog bone?

I’m very new to TDI I’m coming from the world of 80s Benz :D

Thanks everyone!

Last edited:

Twglace

TDI
2013 Jetta SportWagen
It doesn’t seem to affect the functionality for the car at all it’s just something that concerns me (I’m kinda crazy when it comes to vibration & noises in my vehicles). Also when I’m in higher speeds it’s super smooth at all times even over 85.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JELLOWSUBMARINE

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen, 6M, red/tan, navi, pano, 83 5m diesel pickup, 82 p/u trailer,.04 5.5 TDI Passat wagon (gone), 80,81,82 diesel p/u (gone), 80,82 sportruck (gone), 59 passthru bus (long gone), 79&87 westy (gone), 57 baja bug (long gone), 73 914
Possible brake momentarily draging?

I have a 6 manual so I cant speak for the DSG. But it took considerable adapting to normalize the feel of what I believe to be "normal" hill hold operation. Its been highly debated whether or not this is an issue. Neverthe less some have turned off or even delayed the hill hold claiming to fix these type issues

Twglace

TDI
2013 Jetta SportWagen
Possible brake momentarily draging?

I have a 6 manual so I cant speak for the DSG. But it took considerable adapting to normalize the feel of what I believe to be "normal" hill hold operation. Its been highly debated whether or not this is an issue. Neverthe less some have turned off or even delayed the hill hold claiming to fix these type issues

So I actually went out last night and tugged on my motor and felt front to back movement but no side to side really... also I did some slight reving in N and I could hear a clunk whenever the motor unloaded.

Twglace

TDI
2013 Jetta SportWagen
Do you think a new dog bone and subframe bushings from the arm would be a good start? Fairly cheap parts... and I don’t want to do the main engine and transmission mount if I don’t have to lol.

JELLOWSUBMARINE

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen, 6M, red/tan, navi, pano, 83 5m diesel pickup, 82 p/u trailer,.04 5.5 TDI Passat wagon (gone), 80,81,82 diesel p/u (gone), 80,82 sportruck (gone), 59 passthru bus (long gone), 79&87 westy (gone), 57 baja bug (long gone), 73 914
Do you think a new dog bone and subframe bushings from the arm would be a good start? Fairly cheap parts... and I don’t want to do the main engine and transmission mount if I don’t have to lol.

BTW welcome. These are great little wagons. A few issues to watch but the last of a good thing...TDI wagon

How many miles?

Twglace

TDI
2013 Jetta SportWagen
BTW welcome. These are great little wagons. A few issues to watch but the last of a good thing...TDI wagon

How many miles?

Thanks for the welcome! It’s at 116k I bought it alittle over 2 weeks ago it was a fleet car for Lapcorp (insanely clean) all service was done right on the marks. Plus I got a really good deal on it.... benefits of buying a car like this at a luxury dealership lol.

Twglace

TDI
2013 Jetta SportWagen
Any ideas ? I THINK i want to ordered the BFI mounts ... so I don’t have to worry about them wearing out again for the whole time I have the car.

JELLOWSUBMARINE

Veteran Member
TDI
Any ideas ? I THINK i want to ordered the BFI mounts ... so I don’t have to worry about them wearing out again for the whole time I have the car.

Are BFI mounts poly urathane or a dense type? A longer lasting mount probably compramises vibraion quality. You are already tuned into that.
You may want to consider O.E.M. mounts.

Twglace

TDI
2013 Jetta SportWagen
Yeah I was thinking that as well... have you ever heard of Lemforder? FCP has them mounts for a pretty good price and according to them it’s an OEM quality part.

Twglace

TDI
2013 Jetta SportWagen
Are BFI mounts poly urathane or a dense type? A longer lasting mount probably compramises vibraion quality. You are already tuned into that.

You may want to consider O.E.M. mounts.

And do you have any part numbers for the subframe mount ? The one the dog bone connects to?