State by State Diesel Emissions Tests - Canada too

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
Update: Ontario isn't mentioned in that report. All they do is a visual inspection that OEM emission control components are in place, and visually check that it is not belching vast clouds of smoke at idle. No smoke meter no sniffer no nothing.

Brian P.
'96 Passat TDI mit UPsolute

Dante

Veteran Member
TDI
Silver 2000 Golf GLS TDI
Washington state just tests for opacity--40% to 70%
depending on the age of your vehicle. I don't think the TDI will have any problem unless it was on fire

cars wanted

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf GLS-TDI, 2000, white/beige
All the tests that I looked at seem to apply only to bigger vehicles, those weighing some 8,000 or 10,000 pounds and more. If that is so, no way our TDIs have to undergo such tests.
By the way, this site looks kind of stale in that there seems to be no information more recent than from 1999. Most of these opacity tests appear to be very lenient, about 40% to 70% opacity seem to be acceptable. I would expect even the sickest TDIs to be way cleaner than that.

cars wanted

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf GLS-TDI, 2000, white/beige
That points out the staleness of this emissions tests website summary. As of November, 1998, Connecticut required only voluntary road-side tests of trucks weighing more than 26000 pounds. Trucks weighing between 10,000 and 26,000 pounds were exempt. The document mentions nothing about diesel vehicles weighing less than 10,000 pounds. JeffT, do you know when the opacity tests for diesel cars in Connecticut began?

Land Duck

Veteran Member
Alberta has no emissions tests at all - that would be communist I am told....so you can't bring in from Europe fuel efficient, clean burning diesel versions of gassers already available here (Focus, Jeeps, Land Rovers, BMWs, Volvo, Audi etc etc) as they don't meet North american emission and safety laws. Well, we know they are identical from a safety standpoint, so that leaves emissions. If you have no after sale emission tests then what logic is there there in having tight emission laws at all. And this lack of testing keep loads of gas guzzling polluting heaps from the sixties and seventies rolling along belching smoke, rusting to bits, probably no brakes just being dangerous to everybody. Just ranting....