Speed limits across the US are on the rise! Up-to-date state-to-state info & news...

993er

Veteran Member
TDI
None
^ I bet the Germans don't allow cars to have black spray painted or dark tinted brake lights.
I haven't noticed any.

But I have seen wider rims used with the stock tires where the tire bead is so far out of place, you can stick your pinky between the tire bead and the rim. Amazing. I'll also state those things are almost always seen on cars of certain ethnic groups.

By the way, approved tire sizes are actually listed on the vehicle registration.

I am amazed at how stupid people can be. To black out the brake lights. I sure hope that if they every get hit in the rear a properly trained police officer noticed the unsafe lights. Crash report would include "Vehicle 1 had dark tinted brake light lens. Driver 2 stated he didn't notice brake lights".
Exactly. Yeah, I've always wanted to be less seen. Pardon the sarcasm. If the officer does not put it in the report, I'll be taking pics and sending to my and the other driver's insurance company.

The trouble is, that stuff, be it tail light spray, illegal window tint, fart cans or any other of that BS bling, is allowed to be sold in stores for people to buy.

Some of the stuff/crap I see on cars makes me laugh.

993er

Veteran Member
TDI
None
Looking at the inspection rate of a mere €53.50, I can't help but think the inspection has to be rushed. It should cost what a full hour runs, if not a bit more.

If you own a SEL aircraft the annual inspection not including parts and their installation will run you $1500 give or take.

It is the cost of operating a vehicle, period! Can't afford it? Walk!

993er

Veteran Member
TDI
None
There is such a wide range of vehicles and the speeds they are capable of on the autobahn. I don't think you can say the Germans generally cruise at 120 mph in the unlimited sections.
Personal observation while there on the A3 and A9 which is a 3-laner in many places...

Right lane (slow cars and truckers) 120 KPH
Center Lane (cruising lane) 160 KPH
Left Lane (passing lane) 200 KPH

I remember cruising at 160 KPH on one of my older motorcycles and a Porsche zipped by in the passing lane at a conservative guess of 260 KPH as if I were parked.

I personally cruise at 120 KPH with passing zips to 140 KPH on my motorcycle. This prevents the tires from squaring off which is a pain once you hit the twisties in the Alps.

T-Roy

Veteran Member
TDI
'92 ECOdiesel AHU
Good ol' Germany

What I find strange is that if Germany is so strict and enforcing of their laws, how come any ol' joe-blow tourist can rent a car for very cheap and drive unlimited miles all around the country with no real fear of anything unless you get into an accident?

I went to Germany last summer of '13 for a two week vacation with GF.
Here I was, first time in Europe period let alone driving on their roads, with only a basic YouTube lesson of what their signs mean, etc and I was handed some keys and let loose on their roads.
I guess they just hope and assume you actually know what the heck you are doing??
I know for a fact there was one time I was speeding through one of their tunnels at night and there were cameras flashing me big time, did I get a ticket in the mail from Germany? Nope.
How do they enforce tourists in rented cars I constantly wondered? I never once saw a cop doing radar on the side of the road, or even have anyone pulled over for that matter.
I'm not saying I blatantly ignored their traffic rules and hot rodded around all crazy, but there were a few instances of "oh crap I'm probably breaking the law on camera".

I rented a car from Sixt, I pleaded with them to give me a diesel manual, but they could not guarantee it they said.
What do I end up with? An Audi A1 1.4L TFSI with a 6 speed.
Still a great car, but I was just amazed at the fact here I was in arguably the diesel car capital of the world, and I get a fu**ing gasser for rental.
While over here in America with our 3% diesel passenger cars (don't quote me), I've only driven diesel cars my whole life (26)...it irked me to say the least.:mad:
They were probably thinking "this dumb American will probably put gas in the tank if we give him a diesel car!" LOL At least I got a manual though.

It only cost me 220 something USD to rent a car for 12 DAYS with unlimited miles in Germany, it was amazingly cheap.
Granted, all we needed was a small, basic hatchback not an AMG Mercedes, but still.
I was stunned it was so cheap to rent a fully loaded little Audi for that long with unlimited miles.
That car is like the cheap-o econobox I'm sure to them, but it was a very nice econobox haha

What was really strange though was when we were making our budget up we used the prices we were quoted on the website here in America.
Our schedule was flexible and we were flying standby to save some money (will NEVER do that again BTW) so when we got into Germany and got settled into our hotel I open up the web to book the car.
Low and behold, the exact same settings I used for our quote in America were bringing up quotes of like 4-500 dollars now! :eek:
I ended up getting my dad to open up the Sixt website here in America and book me what I wanted and it was hundreds of dollars cheaper for the exact same quote... I have no explanation of this, it was kind of strange.
Maybe to promote tourism it's cheaper for outsiders to rent cars in Germany than Germans??
I don't know but it was in fact way more expensive booking from within Germany.

The Autobahn was very tame compared to the idea in my head I had about it, it is true that most are going at or under the speed limit.
People are very polite and will move over if they see you coming up faster.
However, I stalled a few times in Munich getting used to the clutch; it also had start-stop which I wasn't used to yet.
Man do they get mad and honk big time if you hold them up in the city -- holy moly.:eek:

The biggest things I appreciated and loved about driving over there was:

1. The roads are in very good condition pretty much everywhere.
2. There are no billboards and signs and junk cluttering up the views everywhere
3. That the stop lights change red->yellow->green. You are expected to start moving when it is yellow so that by the time it is green, everyone should already be moving through the intersection. I liked that a lot.

TL;DR Drove around 2500 miles in Germany last year in a rented car, my thoughts

993er

Veteran Member
TDI
None
I know for a fact there was one time I was speeding through one of their tunnels at night and there were cameras flashing me big time, did I get a ticket in the mail from Germany? Nope.
It could be that you weren't speeding excessively...don't know. At this point, more than a year later, if the rental agency did not send you a bill, you are probably off the hook or your charge card may have been charged and you did not notice.

I do know that my friend who rented a motorcycle in Germany did get a ticket, two in fact on the same section of road in Austria, and he was following me since I am the tour guide. I have a local plate on my motorcycle as a tourist; his plate was German being a rental.

That the stop lights change red->yellow->green. You are expected to start moving when it is yellow so that by the time it is green, everyone should already be moving through the intersection. I liked that a lot.
Which is why they probably honked at you when you stalled the engine.

That red-yellow-green system would never work here considering all those who run a yellow and red.

What I do hate there are the dumb neck twisting locations of the traffic lights...right in line with the stop line. And if you are slightly forward because you decided to brake hard and stop for the light, you can't see the traffic light.

Drove around 2500 miles in Germany last year in a rented car, my thoughts
What is this "miles" thing? ;)

tadawson

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL, 2015 Passat TDI SEL
Most reason people tailgate is because of the jackass's plugging the left lane. I am tired of driving on 3 lane highways and the slow lane is empty.

Found this, maybe it was Montana that had that road-

http://www.motorists.org/press/montana-no-speed-limit-safety-paradox
No, just ignorance and stupidity. The guy in the left lane cannot determine how a person drives. Tailgating (and other acts of vehicular stupidity) are always 100% decided by the driver.

If the guy in the left lane isn't going the speed you like, guess what? You get to slow down! B, F and/or D!!!

- Tim

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
What I find strange is that if Germany is so strict and enforcing of their laws, how come any ol' joe-blow tourist can rent a car for very cheap and drive unlimited miles all around the country with no real fear of anything unless you get into an accident?
These are the people you need to worry about on the autobahn, not the locals!

When I did a two week motorcycle trip in Europe a few years ago, we were sent a book outlining how to handle the roads, and the first day was spent both recovering from jet lag and locally around the town where the rental was based, getting used to the bikes and getting instructions on what's different compared to riding in North America.

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
^ I bet the Germans don't allow cars to have black spray painted or dark tinted brake lights.

I am amazed at how stupid people can be. To black out the brake lights. I sure hope that if they every get hit in the rear a properly trained police officer noticed the unsafe lights. Crash report would include "Vehicle 1 had dark tinted brake light lens. Driver 2 stated he didn't notice brake lights".

We will never be able to have safe higher speed limits with such unsafe cars in the roads and drivers who don't follow general safety laws. If we want Germans speeds we need German traffic laws.
You need not go all the way to having periodic safety inspections, you just need police officers capable of writing something other than a speeding ticket! A lot of the more inappropriate things that people do to their cars, like tinting the lights, already have laws against them, they just need to be enforced.

States/provinces all have laws on the books about what is allowed on the roads, but the problem is that both the laws and the enforcement vary considerably from one place to another. It's rather normal for the provincial/state requirements to be somewhat more lax than Federal/Canadian motor vehicle standards for new cars, and it pretty much has to be, to allow for some reasonable amount of in-service deterioration (or modifications) before the vehicle is no longer fit for the roads. But it varies.

Happens in Europe, too. There are very few old cars on the roads in Germany (stringent periodic inspections). There are lots of old cars on the roads in Italy (none).

993er

Veteran Member
TDI
None
If the guy in the left lane isn't going the speed you like, guess what? You get to slow down!
Better yet, he can move back into the right lane where he belongs as per the law in some places.

If he is blocking, those are the ones that cause accidents.

993er

Veteran Member
TDI
None
When I did a two week motorcycle trip in Europe a few years ago, we were sent a book outlining how to handle the roads, and the first day was spent both recovering from jet lag and locally around the town where the rental was based, getting used to the bikes and getting instructions on what's different compared to riding in North America.
Must have been one of those Edelweiss tours. ;)

waltzconmigo

Veteran Member
TDI
none
Better yet, he can move back into the right lane where he belongs as per the law in some places.

If he is blocking, those are the ones that cause accidents.
Yes, like the clueless fool driving the red Fiat 500 on the Dan Ryan last month with Wisconsin plates that was going 45 in the left lane, while everyone else (semi's included) zipped by at 65+. I wish I could have let him know that the those finger's everyone was flashing at him as they passed were not a thumb's up for his cute little car. Unfortunately, it does not seem like some will ever understand how the flow of traffic is supposed to work.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
Are there any other speed limit updates? I'm hoping that VA will increase the limit on I-495 to 60 MPH from 55 MPH, and the limit in the express lanes to 70 MPH from 65 MPH. Maryland could stand to increase the limit of 95/495 from 55 MPH to 65 MPH, but not the northern section between 95 and 270... that should stay at 55 MPH since it is so curvy. :eek:

gulfcoastguy

Veteran Member
TDI
TDI sold, Mazda 3 purchased
Today I had to go 95 miles for an 8 ack emma meeting. 8 miles before the end everybody had to do the blue light shuffle to the right. A pickup towing a trailer had been doodling along in the left lane. Just over a hill a car doing 75 or so went over the hill and directly into the trailer. It was about a half mile past a red light. The truck had probably turned left onto the highway and instead of using the right lane to build his speed up just stayed in the left one.The light turns green on the highway and the car doing 75 doesn't have to slow up, just zips through. That area has a reduced speed of 55 instead of 65 just because of the light and the hill. I believe that we had two morons driving.

rotarykid

Top Post Dawg
Piedmont of N.C. & the plains of Colorado
TDI
1997 Passat TDI White,99.5 Blue Jetta TDI
TDOT changing speed limits on parts of "The Dragon" or U.S. Highway 129

Tail of the dragon to get some limit changes.....TDOT changing speed limits on parts of "The Dragon" or U.S. Highway 129

TALLASSEE (WATE) - A shake up when it comes to speed limits on a popular road for bikers in Blount County, U.S. Highway 129 better known as The Dragon.

After a recent speed study by Tennessee Department of Transportation, two separate 6 mile sections of this highway will see an increase or a reduction in speed limits.

The speed limit is 50 mph on part of Calderwood Highway or U.S. 129, but it won't be for long because TDOT is dropping the legal speed limit to 40 mph.

It's a welcome change for homeowners like Edith Clore, "We had the guardrail put in because we've had people drive through here and get killed. I have to pick up car parts and motorcycle parts for a long time before I can mow each week."

Lower speeds will start close to the lake and run for 6 miles toward Maryville. "It might save some lives if we could slow them down," added Clore.

"People have kids and you're pulling in and pulling out, so it's respect," said biker Woody Burlson from Evansville, Indiana.

But the speed will be a different story if you're heading toward The Dragon, the current speed limit near Chilhowee lake is 40 mph but it's going up to 50 mph starting at Tabcat Bridge and running for 6 miles. The change is based on roadway geometry, crash data, and lane width.

"I think it'd be great. You can still ride a little slower if you want to look at the water as you go by but 10 miles fast would be better here," added Burlson.

Though not every rider thinks the bump up in speed is a good idea. "Safety wise probably not. Lot of inexperienced drivers have been hurt here and a lot of experienced drivers have been hurt there," said biker John Mitchell from Greensboro, North Carolina.

Over the next few months new warning signs and safety improvements will be added. "Safety is always first," added Mitchell.

It's important to note the speed limit on the 11 mile stretch of The Dragon is currently 30 mph and will not be altered.
combined posts.....

City’s ‘gotcha’ traffic cameras use short yellow lights to increase ticket revenue: study

It’s roadway robbery.

City intersections with red-light “gotcha’’ cameras routinely cut short the time that motorists have to make it through yellow lights, running up the number of tickets issued and milking drivers already getting clobbered by record gas prices and skyrocketing tolls, The Post has learned.

Based on recent random surveys, AAA New York has found that intersections with cameras have yellow lights that are shorter by as much as 15 percent compared to the city standard.

“They’re not giving people ample time to get through intersections,” said AAA spokesman Robert Sinclair. “This is supposed to be about safety, not just raising revenue, and that’s what it’s become.”

The city Department of Transportation says the standard time it sets its yellow lights at is about a second for every 10 mph of the speed limit, or three seconds for the typical 30-mph intersection.

But the AAA engineers found that the city’s yellow lights at intersections with cameras were coming in as low as 2.53 seconds. The short timing was clear as day during a recent series of random reviews observed by The Post.

AAA is “in favor of red-light cameras,” Sinclair insisted. “But it must be fair. People lose respect for these programs if they view them as revenue enhancers. You can’t have respect for this program if you’re setting it up to be unfair and you’re just reaching into people’s pockets.”

New York was the first city in the country to use cameras to catch drivers running red lights, after the state Legislature approved the move in 1998. Since then, more than 6 million citations have been issued, according to city statistics, with more than a sixth of those recorded in 2010. Figures for last year aren’t available yet.

There are now 150 intersections equipped with a total of 170 red-light cameras around the city.

The cameras have led to a burst of bucks. In the past five years, they have generated more than $235 million for city coffers, with $47.2 million being chalked up last year alone.

Mayor Bloomberg continues to push for state approval to increase the number of monitored intersections to 225, but insists safety is the point — not cash.

“Our goal is for drivers not to run through red lights,” said City Hall spokesman John McCarthy. “Ideally, we would have zero revenue.”

Confronted with AAA’s findings, city DOT spokeswoman Nicole Garcia defended the camera system, saying, “There is no legal requirement for the length of a yellow signal.”

She insisted, “Our practice is consistent with federal guidelines that ‘the yellow . . . should have a minimum duration of three seconds.’ This provides adequate time for a motorist traveling the speed limit to come to a stop.”

AAA plans to use its findings to oppose the expansion of the camera program.

The organization is also pushing for the state Legislature to establish timing guidelines for intersections with the cameras. New Jersey already has that type of system in place — when towns were found to be routinely violating the timing rules over the summer, the state suspended the programs.

City Council Transportation Committee Chairman James Vacca told The Post yesterday he remains troubled that the city is “playing the I gotcha game” with motorists.

“I’m an advocate for cameras,” said Vacca (D-Bronx).

“But I don’t think that enforcement can be fair unless the lights are timed properly.”
the reason for raising the speed limit is in the law it would require the city to set a longer yellow reducing these revenue not safety based tickets.

Cities Caught Illegally Tampering With Traffic Lights To Increase Revenue Of Red Light Cameras
from the this-again

Just last month there was the latest in a rather long line of reports noting that red light cameras tend to increase the number of accidents because people slam on their brakes to stop in time, leading to rear-ending accidents. Time and time again studies have shown that if cities really wanted to make traffic crossings safer there's a very simple way to do so: increase the length of the yellow light and make sure there's a pause before the cross traffic light turns green (this is done in some places, but not in many others).

Tragically, it looks like some cities are doing the opposite! Jeff Nolan points out that six US cities have been caught decreasing the length of the yellow light below the legal limits in an effort to catch more drivers running red lights and increasing revenue.

This is especially disgusting. These cities are actively putting more people in danger of serious injury or death solely for the sake of raising revenue -- while claiming all along that it's for safety purposes. Is it any surprise that one of the six cities is Dallas?

Remember, just last month Dallas decided it wasn't going to install any more red light cameras because fewer tickets had hurt city revenue.
The city of chicago has been caught repeatably setting yellow times too short below the state guidelines in a successful effort to increase the number of tickets. Short yellows below what drivers expect in a intersection, below state guidelines in law lead to more accidents. They also increase the numbers of these not safety based in any way enforcement efforts($$$$$$$)....By raising the posted limit the city would have to, would be required in law to increase the yellow time making ticketing much less likely.....

7 Responses to Yellow Lights: Chicago Vs. The Suburbs

The Ticket Doctor says:
August 12, 2010 at 2:48 pm

This video shoots down ChicagoDOT’s unsubstantiated claim of 4 second yellow signals on 35 MPH posted speed limit streets. The City of Chicago has been misleading the public all along and endangering them too.

From Chicago’s own web site:

“How long are Chicago’s yellow lights?
Chicago’s yellow lights are set at 3 seconds on streets where the approach speed limit is 30 mph or lower, 4 seconds on streets where the approach speed limit is 35 mph or higher. These timings fall within the guidelines of the Federal Highway Administration’s Manual on Uniform Traffic Control Devices, and adheres to recommendations by the Institute of Transportation Engineers.

Chicago’s yellow times are more than adequate for a driver traveling the speed limit to react and stop safely. The three-second timing has been in place for several decades. No signal timings were changed before or after the implementation of red-light cameras.”
http://www.cityofchicago.org/city/en/depts/cdot/provdrs/red-light_cameraenforcement.html
This is total HOGWASH.

The above chicagodot web site claim is totally without independent foundation. Here’s what REAL transportation engineers say!

In general, an increase of 0.5 to 1.5 s in yellow duration (such that it does not exceed 5.5 s) will decrease the frequency of red-light-running by about 50 percent!

The before-after study of driver response to an increase in yellow interval duration confirms that drivers do adapt to the increase in yellow duration.

This adaptation results in a slightly lower probability of stopping for a given travel time to the intersection at yellow onset. However, this adaptation does not undo the benefit of an increase in yellow duration.

Above from Transportation Research Board.

This is a great video, but it must be remembered that ITE standards provide for longer yellow signal times with streets which have higher speed limits. Comparing two intersections which have different posted speed limits is not a notable comparison.

Chiago’s yellow signal interval does not allow for perception/reaction period or the extra time trucks take to stop.

There are plenty of suburban examples of longer yellow signals with the same speed limit as a comparable Chicago street.

- See more at: http://theexpiredmeter.com/2010/08/yellow-lights-chicago-vs-the-suburbs/#sthash.DvrasNmX.dpuf

One second.

A miniscule, if not insignificant increment of time to some.

To others, a consequential unit of time where an infinite number of possibilities can unfold.

But it’s the importance of a single second that has increasingly become the center of the argument over red light camera enforcement nationwide and now here in Chicago.

While most red light camera opponents initially work to prevent or remove, or vote to ban them from their cities, this strategy proves to be a difficult road.

However, when this tact fails, anti-red light activists increasingly have been reverting to their Plan B–trying to extend the length of yellow light intervals at red light camera intersections.

“One of the reforms we’ve recommended is increasing yellow light times at intersections,” says anti-red light camera activist Scott Tucker, a GOP nominee for state representative in the 11th district. “These reforms have been shown to improve safety. The idea is to reform them out of business.”

Federal Highway Administration guidelines for yellow light timing comes under the Manual on Uniform Traffic Control Devices (MUCTD) which loosely recommends a range of between three and six seconds.

Government entities also utilize another standard from the Institute of Transportation Engineers (ITE) which promotes a mathematical formula which takes into consideration vehicle speed, acceleration rate, the grade of the road and other factors for determining yellow light duration.

Ultimately, it is up to the municipality to set the yellow light timing as long as it falls within the federal recommendations.

But many traffic safety advocates as well as red light camera opponents feel that in many cases the three second minimum is not enough time for drivers to make make it through an intersection safely.

Proponents of this point of view rely on a handful of studies that seem to show lengthening yellow light intervals, even by a second or second and a half, translates into substantial decreases in red light running and collisions within those particular intersections.

The National Motorists Association, a motorist advocacy group, has been working on promoting the relationship between longer yellow light intervals and improved safety for several years through their sister website, Stop Short Yellow Lights.com.

“It’s a hot topic for right now,” says NMA spokesperson Gary Biller. “I think it’s because there are more cities that are being challenged on their policy for this issue.”

Biller points to a wide sampling of studies and cases that seem to back up the group’s view on the issue including a study done by the Texas Transportation Institute.

“The conclusion was the most single, important thing you can do is increase yellow light signal time for intersection safety and reducing red light running,” explained Biller.

Other cities like Dalton, Georgia, where state law forced their town and others statewide to increase all yellow light times to be increased by one second, saw a dramatic drop in red light running.

According to the Dalton Police, red light running dropped from 624 RLC violations in February of 2008 to 125 in February 2009, after the new law went into effect.

Similar drops in red light violations occurred in Lomo Linda, California where there was an 80% drop in violations after a one second increase. Since this change, the city has been battling with their vendor, Redflex, to withdraw from their contract for the RLC technology.

City, Red Light Camera Company Don’t Buy Theory

“Studies show that lengthening yellow light timing is a temporary fix and that intersection safety cameras bring clearly a more sustained benefit in reducing red light running violations,” says Shoba Vaitheeswaran a spokesperson for Redflex Traffic Systems, the sole vendor of Chicago’s red light cameras.

Vaitheeswaran cites a 2007 study in Philadelphia of that city’s RLC program conducted by the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety, that according to her, tracked signal violation rates at intersections before and after increasing yellow light duration, and again after red light cameras were installed for a year.

“The first step (extending yellow light time) reduced signal violations by 36 percent. The cameras reduced the remaining violations by 96 percent. At the same time, violations were virtually unchanged at two control group intersections.” explained Vaitheeswaran. “Many feel that lengthening yellow light timing is sufficient in reducing red light running violations, but based on data coming from the IIHS study, we feel that intersection safety cameras are a long-term deterrent.”

Brian Steele, spokesperson for the Chicago Department of Transportation, the city agency that oversees Chicago’s red light camera program generally agrees with Vaitheeswaran’s view on yellow light timing.

“A driver traveling the speed limit and paying attention to the signal will have no problem safely stopping at a red light,” says Steele. “City traffic engineers have long believed that if given a longer yellow time drivers will soon negatively adjust their behavior. Knowing that the yellow light is longer, more drivers will try to “push” the yellow and make it through the intersection before the light changes.”

Brian Costin, Director of Outreach for the non-partisan Illinois Policy Institute, does not buy Steele and Vaitheeswaran’s arguments.

“There absolutely is a connection between yellow light timing and intersection safety,” contends Costin. “Adding 1 to 1.5 seconds (of yellow light time) you can dramatically reduce accidents. Studies show a 40% – 80% reduction by increasing the the yellow light timing beyond the minimum.”

Local traffic engineer Matt Gauntt, who has consulted for numerous state, county and local agencies on traffic engineering issues, also feels extending yellow light times generally enhances intersection safety saying, “…Studies have shown that increasing the yellow interval most definitely WILL improve safety, if the yellow time is not adequately
used.”

Gauntt, citing the same Texas Transportation Institute study as Biller says, “They found that reducing the yellow interval by 1.0 second would increase red light running by over 100%, and increasing the yellow interval above the recommended timing would decrease red light running by 35-40%.” explains Gauntt.

But Gauntt doesn’t necessarily believe unilaterally adding one second or more to all signalized intersections is the best policy.

“I don’t think that is a good idea,” explains Gauntt. ” I think the yellow should be based on the ITE recommended practice rounded up to the nearest 0.5 seconds plus an all-red for intersections with two or more through lanes. Rounding up to the nearest 0.5 second will increase the yellow time slightly. Raising the yellow time too much will increase the congestion.”

“In any case, red light running cameras are most likely not the answer,” continued Gauntt. “All the red light running cameras do is make the alert driver worry about getting a ticket, but without other improvements, there is no fix to the underlying problem with the intersection.”

- See more at: http://theexpiredmeter.com/2010/03/...ght-for-a-single-second/#sthash.BBbVFkDN.dpuf
Five weeks ago, the chairman of the City Council’s Transportation Committee tried and failed to convince Mayor Rahm Emanuel to shut down Chicago’s scandal-scarred red-light camera program until Inspector General Joe Ferguson wraps up his investigation of unexplained spikes in red-light tickets.

Now, Ald. Anthony Beale (9th) is taking matters into his own hands — by raising the speed limit on a Far South Side stretch where, he claims, motorists are being unfairly nailed by a game of “Gotcha.”

Under the change, advanced by the Traffic Committee Monday and expected to be approved by the full Council on Wednesday, the speed limit on 127th Street between Indiana and Halsted would be raised from 30 mph to 35 mph.

The speed limit for motorists coming off the Bishop Ford Freeway already stands at 35 mph. But, a sudden drop to 30 mph has turned the red-light camera at 127th and Eggleston into a gold mine, Beale said.

“People were getting hit with a lot of tickets unnecessarily. The community was up in arms about it. This is one remedy to have traffic flow at a decent pace without people getting hit with tickets. This is my way of taking care of the residents on the Far South Side," Beale said.

The chairman acknowledged that raising the speed limit is a partial solution and that it'll take a lot more to restore public confidence in the red-light camera program at the center of a $2 million bribery scandal.

“Hopefully, we tweak the system to where there is some integrity put back in the system. Hopefully, the Department of Transportation monitors these spikes and figures out something is going wrong when there is a spike and corrects it without issuing all these tickets,” he said.

“If it’s truly about public safety, that’s what it should be about. When they see those spikes, all of those tickets should be voided."

A top mayoral aide said the road in question is a state route and the City Council does not have the power to change the speed limit. Beale was told that a year ago--long before the spike in red-light tickets--but he pushed the ordinance through committee anyway earlier this week, the mayoral aide said.

In late July, Emanuel offered to review 16,000 red-light tickets issued during spikes at a dozen Chicago intersections. Motorists who exercise their right to a second look will be offered refunds if those tickets were issued in error, officials said.

To restore public confidence in the red light program severely shaken by a Chicago Tribune investigation, Emanuel also promised to post daily violations for each of the 352 red-light cameras posted at 174 Chicago intersections.

Beale was not appeased. He demanded that the city “put the brakes on the whole red-light system” until Ferguson’s investigation is completed.

“We’ll be protecting the integrity of the city. If something comes out that there was some type of impropriety that took place, there’s more room for disaster if we keep on down this road,” he said.

Noting that red-light cameras have generated upwards of $500 million for the cash-strapped city, Beale said, “If we keep on down this road, we just have room for exposure… If something comes out and this company has some type of exposure and they see a $500 million lawsuit coming their way, they’ll probably close their doors and file bankruptcy. And that will leave us, once again, holding the bag.”

Transportation Commissioner Rebekah Scheinfeld countered that the suspicious spikes were confined to less than one-half of one percent of all the violations issued during that period.

The following day, Emanuel said he was “angry” about the spikes, adding, “There should be no inequity in the system. There should be no aberration. And a company, even though it’s a small percentage less than one percent, it has to be 100 percent right for there to be trust.

Virginia: Short Yellows, Red Light Cameras Increase Accidents
Injury accidents jump where red light cameras are used in Newport News, Virginia.

Red light cameraAccidents increased at the intersections where red light cameras were installed in Newport News, Virginia. An analysis of six years' worth of collision data by the National Motorists Association (NMA) confirmed that use of photo enforcement failed to deliver on the promise of improved safety in the town of 180,000.

Newport News was one of the first jurisdictions to re-adopt red light cameras after a statewide pause in 2005 when the Virginia Department of Transportation determined accidents increased wherever the devices were used (view report). Heavy lobbying by municipalities and red light camera companies convinced the legislature to give automated ticketing another chance.

Redflex Traffic Systems of Australia has been mailing tickets to vehicle owners at three intersections along Jefferson Avenue in Newport News since May 2010. At Mercury Avenue, there were 41 injury accidents from October 27, 2007 to May 14, 2010, before the cameras were installed. After the devices were active, injury accidents jumped to 64 between May 16, 2010 to September 16, 2013. On an annualized basis, the before period had 15.7 injury crashes per year, which increased 22.8 percent to 19.2 in the after period.

At Denbigh Boulevard, there were 69 injury collisions in the before period, for a rate of 10.7 injury crashes per year. In the after period, there were 40, for a rate of 12.4 injury collisions per year, an increase of 17.4 percent. At Oyster Point Road, there were 38 injury accidents in the before period, or 12.3 per year. In the after period, there were 54 injury accidents, or 15.6 per year, a jump of 50.5 percent.

NMA engineer J.J. Bahen Jr blames the city for exploiting yellow times in the turn lanes that are illegally short. Under state law, signal timing at photo enforced intersections must be established according to the methodology set by the Institute of Transportation Engineers (ITE). Bahen, an ITE member, points out that the city is using a "speed limit minus 5 MPH" methodology for turn lanes that results in overly short yellows. At Oyster Point Road, for example, speed limit is set at 35 MPH, so the yellow is set for traffic approaching the intersection at 30 MPH. In reality, 85 percent of traffic approaches at 45 MPH -- a difference of 15 MPH.

Bahen calculates the yellow time is 1.5 seconds too short, which translates into a large number of citations, with the turning lanes of the three intersections in Newport News generating $2.3 million worth of tickets since 2010. Bahen on Monday asked state officials to clarify their policies to address the shortened yellow problem.

"If local traffic engineers are made aware of state law and ITE guidelines, then hopefully they will increase yellow times to safe and legal levels based on measured approach speeds, taking into account the extra time that drivers need to slow down for the turn," Bahen wrote.

Holy smokes batman. A "sudden". 5 mph drop. Because we have never once in our history ever seen a 5mph decrease in speed limits. It much be so hard for a car to "suddenly" slow down for 35 to 30.
Did you not get the email I sent you, it quotes the reason that 5 mph matters....waltzconmigo & romad both explained it to you, I explained it in my first response to you on the string, then my email quoting the city rules and ordinances related the yellow light timing(30 or lower posted 3 sec yellows, 35 or higher 4 sec yellows)......

It is also in one of the articles I posted with link,,,,.....missed one 40X40 also explained it to you..

Since you seem to have missed it what? FIVE TIMES now, here it is again.....

“How long are Chicago’s yellow lights?
Chicago’s yellow lights are set at 3 seconds on streets where the approach speed limit is 30 mph or lower, 4 seconds on streets where the approach speed limit is 35 mph or higher. These timings fall within the guidelines of the Federal Highway Administration’s Manual on Uniform Traffic Control Devices, and adheres to recommendations by the Institute of Transportation Engineers.
So this is why raising the speed limit on this particular road matters, it would "require" the city to add another second to the yellow light time! That would reduce the current incident of ticketing at that intersection........

Hope that clears up anything you might be missing....:)>>>>.........03_01_TDI What does it take for you to acknowledge your questions have at least been somewhat addressed??? Five responses directly to you from four people are not enough????

Dayton, Ohio Red Light Cameras Exploit Short Yellows

Dayton, Ohio's red light cameras have generated more than $8 million over the past two years. Many of the $85 automated tickets are issued at intersections where the yellow signal warning times fall short of the minimum allowed under state law.

In 2008, Governor Ted Strickland (D) signed House Bill 30 into law, requiring yellow times to be one second longer at any intersection where a red light camera was installed. Lawmakers were following the lead of Georgia which had adopted the first of its kind longer yellow law a month earlier. A few cities, including Atlanta, were caught attempting to ignore Georgia's then-new law, which produced an 80 percent reduction in violations in compliant cities.

Ohio's signal timing statute requires photo enforced intersections to have yellow durations one second longer than "similar" intersections in the city. Since the minimum yellow timing under federal regulations is 3.0 seconds, any time shorter than 4.0 seconds is automatically in violation of the law. Cities were given until March 12, 2009 to comply with the directive. Dayton has failed to do so.

According to documents provided by the city, the yellow time at the intersection of West Third Street and James H. McGee Boulevard is 4.6 seconds -- only a 0.6 increase from the amount of warning time given before 2008. The left turn signal, however, is below the 4.0 second minimum at just 3.5 seconds. The signal timings are identical at North Main Street and Hillcrest Avenue; Salem Avenue and North Avenue; and Troy Street and Stanley Avenue (with Troy Street kept shortened to 4.0 seconds). State law is explicit in requiring longer yellows in turn lanes.

"A local authority that uses traffic law photo-monitoring devices to enforce any traffic law at an intersection where traffic is controlled by traffic control signals that exhibit different colored lights or colored lighted arrows shall time the operation of the yellow lights and yellow arrows of those traffic control signals so that the steady yellow indication exceeds by one second the minimum duration for yellow indicators at similar intersections as established by the provisions of the manual adopted by the department of transportation under section 4511.09 of the Revised Code," Ohio Revised Code 4511.094 states.

In a review of signal timing throughout the state, most other cities applied the same duration of yellow to the straight-through lanes and the turning lanes. Dayton may also be in violation for failing to add a full second at intersections compared to the yellow durations before the law took effect.

Each fraction of a second difference in yellow time can have a significant influence on the number of red light camera citations issued. The majority of straight-through red light "violations" happen when a driver misjudges the end of the yellow light by less than 0.25 seconds -- literally the blink of an eye (view Texas Transportation Institute (TTI) chart). In most cases, a yellow shortened by one second can increase the number of tickets issued by 110 percent, according to TTI

Last edited:

waltzconmigo

Veteran Member
TDI
none
03-01---the problem was that, it would seem, in a small percentage of the red light camera locations the time of the yellow light was lowered just enough to affect the number of drivers "running red lights". I can not remember if these times are set by the state/county/city but they were lower than what the regulation called for. Sorry I do not have a better explanation with more facts but I rarely drive downtown so did not follow the story closely. Maybe someone who paid more attention to this will chime in with a more thorough explanation.

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Jetta GLS Wagon "Cranberry"
^ sadly many judges consider it a fix it ticket. Meaning if the violator shows up to court with any document showing the tinted lights were fixed the judge will drop the ticket. Even if the document is fake, as the courts don't bother to check and confirm.
/QUOTE]

Not here in the CPR. You're driving down the road at night and a taillight bulb burns out. You're pulled over and cited for the burnt out light. Before all you had to do was replace the bulb and show it to the local police/CHP to get the ticket canceled. Now you have to pay a fine (euphemistically called a "dismissal fee"). Here is an article from the San Jose Mercury News from January 2009 when this change went into effect: http://www.mercurynews.com/ci_11575358

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Your very own quote has absolute zero mention of changing in yellow and red light timing. I've been driving for over 20 years and spend lots of time driving as part of my job. You don't need to adjust yellow light timing to get a ticket. I would estimate that a red light is ran at every intersection at least 75% of the time.
What usually happens is what was being done in some places here in the CPR. The local governments contracted with the vendor to run the red light camera system, giving the vendor a percentage of all fines generated. Well, the vendors SHORTENED the length of time for the yellow lights to less than that required by state law. Eventually they are being caught which has resulted in the systems being removed in some cities, and refunds of fines to affected red light "violators".

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Because every driver inspects the car before each trip and the first time it goes out is the first day they are stopped. :rolleyes: Back in the real world people probably would drive months before noticing or getting told the light was out. I'm sure the dismissal fee is minimal and most people would not change there habits to avoid the fee. They will continue to to care about lights being out.. :p. about the only time I check is when I use my trailer.
Must be nice to be independently wealthy. While the BASE bail/fine/fee is $25, the extra surcharges and fees added by the state/county/city can bring it up into the triple digit area.

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
03_01_TDI do you have to dispute everything that is written on this string? Is there nothing you agree with??? just asking......

Are you a insurance lobby plant or do you work for the camera enforcement lobby put on the web to argue for anything that might keep limits artificially low or block any laws or rules from being passed that might ban ticket scameras?????

Just asking because you always seem to be quick to attack anything that doesn't support the status qua????
I'm beginning to think the same; maybe a troll?

40X40

Experienced
TDI
2013 Passat SEL Premium
That is the house organ of the red light camera industry. Hardly unbiased.

They are claiming in that link that red light cameras do not cause rear end collisions.

They are right.

When you are fought between getting a red light ticket or applying your brakes so hard that the fellow WHO IS TAILGATING YOU hits you in the rear, YOU DO HAVE A CHOICE... take the ticket or get hit in the rear.

Some choice, huh? That industry makes millions by preying on the driving public.

Bill

supton

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'04 Jetta Wagon GLS
I always have to adjust my habits when I am in CT. In NH we have long yellows, and then a delay before green in the opposite direction. In CT I've noticed short yellows and zero delay between going red in one direction and green in another.

I wish they would change the lights to that which is used at least in the UK: when it's about to go green, it blinks yellow (once or twice? forget now). That way traffic can get going all the faster. Instead I'm stuck trying to see the lights in the other direction, which are often blocked.

turbovan+tdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI 2.0L ALH, auto, silver wagon, lowered, Colt stage 2 cam, ported head,205 injectors, 1756 turbo, Malone 2.0, 3" exhaust, 18" BBS RC GLI rims. 2004 blue GSW TDI, 5 speed, lowered, GLI BBS wheels painted black, Malone stage 2, Aerotur
turbovan- I was giving you a bit of grief in my first response to you because you were posting unsupported "facts", which was exactly what I had been discussing with rotarykid previously. In your last post, you did cite and link to your source. Now we know whose data analysis you are sharing (the NMA).

What I don't understand is all the talk on that site about speed limits, but no easily found info on vehicle owner/operator responsibilities (such as vehicle inspections).

It is my opinion that ALL states and provinces need robust vehicle inspections if we want to increase (or possibly eliminate) speed limits. I can tell you that the inspections performed in Texas are a joke. I don't think they even look at tire tread :eek:
I agree on inspections. We had those back in the 70's I believe then the Government took them away, we had Aircare start in the late 80's which helped as if you failed, most shops found other problems but now that is over at the end of this year and the Government said they won't bring back inspections as its a financial burden on the public? Yet they have no problems with insane car insurance, road tolls and out of this world gas tax's. :mad:

There is such a wide range of vehicles and the speeds they are capable of on the autobahn. I don't think you can say the Germans generally cruise at 120 mph in the unlimited sections. When I was stationed over there in the 80's, I'd cruise around 100 mph when I could. I'd need to pass some cars going 50 mph (Fiats & Ladas), while keeping my eye on the rearview mirror for supercars going 150 mph!

The last time I was over there (Oct 2012), I had the pleasure of riding in a BMW 550ix. That thing had impressive acceleration even when already going 120 mph. Outside of a few Porsches and big Audis, I don't think we were passed by anyone. Very few passed us when we were cruising along at 100 mph. I'd say most cars we passed were in the 70-90 mph range.
Loved the Autobahn, got to try it in the mid 90's, couldn't afford to rent high end cars but every car we had did 200 km/k so that's what we did.

I agree- you should be harshly fined for causing an accident by following too close.

And I do understand people getting frustrated by left-lane-laggards and being tempted to tailgate. I'd rather pass someone (quickly!) on the right than tailgate them. To me its the lesser of two evils.

Keeping right except to pass is the rule that would help traffic flow the most, IMO. This is evidently not well taught or well enforced based on my observations. On the other hand, when I come up to a slower vehicle that is in the process of passing an even slower vehicle, it is my responsibility to slow down and maintain that safe following distance until the other car has safely finished its passing maneuver. There is a significant amount of give-and-take that needs to happen outside what can be enforced by rules and law enforcement.

People should realize that:
1) The highways are a shared resource, and as such driving is a cooperative (NOT competitive) venture
2) There are more and more cars on the roads each year. Be patient, follow the golden rule, and you will safely get to your destination.
Agreed, :D

No, just ignorance and stupidity. The guy in the left lane cannot determine how a person drives. Tailgating (and other acts of vehicular stupidity) are always 100% decided by the driver.

If the guy in the left lane isn't going the speed you like, guess what? You get to slow down! B, F and/or D!!!

- Tim
You are exactly the reason traffic doesn't flow and road rage. Most States and Provinces have laws that state the left lane is for passing, NOT TRAVELLING or stay right except to pass. So if your sitting there, you're very ignorant who has no respect for any driver and needs to go back to driver ed. ;)

Last edited:

rotarykid

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I remember driving across eastern Canada in the late 70s- early 80s and there were flashing stop lights, (green and yellow). If memory serves they used flashing lights green and yellow to signify a green turn arrow with a regular 3 light stop light. But in my recent trips back they were no longer widely using them...

Funny thing is they have started using flashing yellows in regular 3 light stop lights in Colorado to signify caution when turning left across lanes...

The reason inspections ended was because the feds stopped paying the states to have them yearly. Within a couple of years of the ending of federal highway funds being tied states having funds tied to having yearly inspections many states dropped the requirement.

My home state has just tied the yearly inspection directly to the tag renewal process, no inspection no new tag.....

turbovan+tdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI 2.0L ALH, auto, silver wagon, lowered, Colt stage 2 cam, ported head,205 injectors, 1756 turbo, Malone 2.0, 3" exhaust, 18" BBS RC GLI rims. 2004 blue GSW TDI, 5 speed, lowered, GLI BBS wheels painted black, Malone stage 2, Aerotur
My home state has just tied the yearly inspection directly to the tag renewal process, no inspection no new tag.....

That's the way it should be, England also does that.

rotarykid

Top Post Dawg
TDI
It's time to stare down the nannies and have a sensible debate about speed limits

I found this fun to read.........

I got a kick out of this article, stating the test unrestricted stretch in the NT has not seen a single safety issue so more unrestricted KMs have been added......... About the increase of number kms now unrestricted now they have had ~7 months of drivers behaving properly and not having a single crash related to the limit being unrestricted.

So what picture did they put with this, you guessed it. It was coupled to picture of a car off the side of the road that has been junked... It is upside down, no wheels and it looks like it was used to roast marshmallows....:).........

Yeah that tells you the articles writers didn't read the article they supposedly wrote, and didn't look at the picture they had attached to it????

NT expands unrestricted speed limits as NewSouthWales mulls raising speed limits too

this is the article with the picture of the trashed junked car like this is what has happened since the limit was removed. we have this article saying the unrestricted zone stretch is so safe we are adding more kms(so what picture is added to try to re-enforce that this has been safe??? NOthing says safety like a burned upside down junked car on the side of the road..... LOL.......
Following its removal of speed limits on a 204km stretch of the Stuart Highway in February 2014, the Northern Territory (NT) government has extended the trial to include another 74km of highway.

The extra length of road runs between Barrow Creek to near the Ali Curung Rail Overpass and is part of the NT government's desire to deliver on its election promise of scrapping Outback speed limits.

"The return of open speed limits was an election commitment that the Giles Government is pleased to be delivering using an evidence-based approach," said NT Transport Minister Peter Styles.

"Since announcing the first phase of the open-speed-limit trial on a 204km stretch between Barrow Creek and Alice Springs last year, we have been assessing further sections of road that might also be suitable for a revised limit."

"Today's extension will mean 276km of the highway is now covered by the trial which I know will be welcome news to frequent road users, especially in the Barkly [region] and central Australia," he said.

The extension of the open-speed-limit trial, which is due to end February 2015, is being matched by $1.55 million worth of safety and signage upgrades, says the government. This will include the installation of new guard rails on bridges and overpasses, repainted line markings, and reflective road markers.

"Over the past 10 years there has not been a single speed-related fatality on this new stretch of road," said Styles.

"I want to remind Territorians that while we are giving them back this opportunity to set their own safe speed, it comes with responsibility.

"This is not a licence to drive recklessly; it’s a licence to drive responsibly."

The Northern Territory is the only state or territory that has a speed limit above 110km/h but the New South Wales government has hinted that it would be amenable to having a 120km/h limit on some roads.

In an address to parliament earlier this month, NSW Roads Minister Duncan Gay said some New South Wales roads were of a high enough quality to raise the speed limit.

"I think that in the future we need to look at perhaps increasing speed limits by 5km or 10km per hour, if that is safe, on roads that are built to a certain standard," said Gay.

Minister Gay noted that the 120km/h speed limit should not apply in wet weather, and said the NSW government would be closely monitoring the NT open-speed-limit trial.

The NT government says its open-speed-limit trial has been a success thus far.

It's time to stare down the nannies and have a sensible debate about speed limits

CAUTION: ACERBIC SOCIAL COMMENTARY

How backwards is Australia when it comes to speed limits? Well let’s put it this way; if the world was a classroom we’d be sitting at the back, facing the wrong way, sucking our thumb and wondering what's the yellow stuff running down our pants leg.

Our speed limits were set 40 years ago and our stark, raving, fear mongering failure to even review their suitability (considering how much better our roads have become, and how much safer, and faster, cars now are) is akin to the US refusing to lowers its drinking age from 21... Or to do any damn thing at all to stop people from shooting each other, and each other’s children, with semi-automatic firearms.

The simple fact is that every year people in Australia die on our roads because they do stupid things, and it really is absurd to say that speed is the major factor in those decisions causing injuries or death.

Speed is involved in every collision, so where do these causal figures we get thrown at us (it plays a part in 40 per cent of all road deaths we’re told) draw the line? And how many of those bad decisions are caused by the fact that the driver is tired, bored and dopey after trawling for far too long at too low a speed.

As one cheeky motoring magazine proved last year, a trip from Melbourne to Sydney at 130km/h would take 6.5 hours, enough to easily get it done in daylight hours in winter, while the same journey takes eight hours at a dullardish 110km/h.

So what of the rest of the world?

Well, let’s get Germany out of the way first. Its roads actually aren’t much better than ours, or at least not our best ones, and yet its freeways have no speed limits at all. According to our authorities and the Speed Kills mantra, they should all be deader than ******, yet their death rate per 100,000 head of population is 4.7. Ours is 6.1.

The Germans are well drilled, harshly tested and properly instructed drivers, which we are not — although we should be.

Other countries with 130km/h limits have higher death rates than us — Austria 6.6, Czech Republic 7.6 and France 6.5, Italy 7.2 — but all of those have far denser traffic on their motorways.

Yet we also have 130-limited countries like Denmark at 4.7, The Netherlands at 3.9, Spain (speed limit 120km/h, but they all drive well over it) 5.4 and Sweden 3.0 (speed limit 120km/h, and they all drive under it).

If going any faster than 110 is going to kill us all, how are they all managing it?

Perhaps the most telling of all, though, is our own Northern Territory, which began a much-demonised trial of derestricted roads on a 200km stretch outside Alice Springs on February 1. VicRoads, all the national motoring clubs and the usual panic merchants predicted carnage. So far there has not been one single death or any serious speed-related injuries and the NT Government is looking at extending the trial. Go figure.

It will take a brave Government, like the Northern Territory's, to raise the subject of reviewing our limits, and let’s face it, it will never, ever happen in Victoria, the Police State of Fear.

That doesn't mean it’s not a conversation that’s at least 20 years overdue.

We’ve been the dopey kid in the slow lane for long enough.

rotarykid

Top Post Dawg
TDI
CDOT to increase speed limit on I-25 through Trinidad

Colorado DOT after collecting speed and safety data has decided to raise the posted maximum in Trinidad CO on I-25 from 55 to a more appropriate to conditions today 65 mph............

CDOT to increase speed limit on I-25 through Trinidad The Colorado Department of Transportation says it will increase the speed limit on I-25 through Trinidad from 55 mph to 65 mph. The change should be complete by early October.

The speed limit will increase between Van Buren Street and Goddard Avenue.

“Following the reconstruction of I-25 through Trinidad more than three years ago, it was clear the 55 mile per hour speed limit no longer reflected the speed a majority of drivers were traveling at,” said CDOT Traffic Engineer Sasan Delshad. “By raising the speed limit, it could improve the safety of the highway since the existing speed limit was established on the old roadway that had different characteristics than the reconstructed highway people are driving on today.”

The national standard recommends using the 85th percentile speed (the speed at or below which 85 percent of the vehicles are moving) as the primary factor in establishing the speed limit. The reason for this is because the vast majority of drivers will drive at speeds they consider safe and reasonable under ideal conditions

CDOT says that the majority of drivers on I-25 through Trinidad already travel between 60 and 70 mph.

rotarykid

Top Post Dawg
TDI
New speed limit of 110km/h (~70mph)for some New Zealand roads

New Zealand to see ~70 mph (110km/hr)zones for the first time since the switch to metric in the 1970s..............

New speed limit of 110km/h for some New Zealand freeways/roads

Drivers would be allowed to go faster on good roads, but face restrictions on others
A computer enhanced image showing a 110 km/h sign from a 100 kilometer speed sign located at Dairy Flat. Photo / Dean Purcell A computer enhanced image showing a 110 km/h sign from a 100 kilometer speed sign located at Dairy Flat. Photo / Dean Purcell

Open-road speed limits could vary by up to 50km/h under a new classification system signalled to traffic engineers in Auckland.

Transport Agency safety manager Helen Climo told the Traffic Institute at its annual conference yesterday that a new rule should be finalised by the end of next year allowing speeds of up to 110km/h on a small number of well-engineered highways and motorways.

Although she declined to identify candidate routes, the Automobile Association wants motorists be able to pull out the throttle on Auckland's Northern Gateway toll road and on the Waikato Expressway.

Ms Climo said the new rule would also streamline public consultation requirements before limits could be dropped as low as 60km/h on some higher-risk roads with sparse traffic.

The goal was greater national consistency and speed limits more appropriate to the function and design of roads, while striving to reduce deaths and serious injuries and to support economic productivity.

She expected most urban limits to remain at 50km/h, except on some arterial roads with separate cycle paths on which motor traffic could be allowed to travel at 60km/h to 80km/h.

But a disproportionate number of deaths and serious injuries on urban arterials meant such high limits would be rare.

Conversely, a reduced limit of 30km/h could become more common on city streets popular with cyclists and pedestrians.

Ms Climo said the new "one network road classification system" would require high public acceptance and her organisation, acting on a plan approved by the multi-agency National Road Safety Committee including the police and ACC, intended issuing draft guidelines by Christmas to local councils to determine the most suitable speed limits on their roads.

"We want to build public support for this - it's a much more consumer-friendly way of managing speed," she said.

"To get fewer deaths and serious injuries, we want travel speeds that better match road function and we want travel times maintained."

Her presentation following a claim to the conference by veteran Australian safety campaigner Professor Ian Johnston that speed allowances on too many roads on both sides of the Tasman were "not fit for purpose".

Ms Climo said the first priority would be to reduce limits temporarily on dangerous roads with relatively high traffic volumes, while promising drivers existing allowances would be reinstated once they were made safer.

"We need to tell them we will do improvements - we need to give a safe system promise."

Her organisation had also decided to shift its safety messages away from blaming drivers "and make it more about the road to get away from a polarised conversation".

But she said tighter speed restrictions may have to remain on other less-travelled roads, where improvements could not be afforded.

One likely to have its speed limit dropped temporality pending engineering improvements was State Highway 58 over Haywards Hill between Hutt Valley and Porirua, on which drivers faced high collective and personal risks while being allowed to travel over it at 100km/h.

Open road changes
Proposed new open-road classification system:
• High-volume straight stretches of new highways or motorways 100km/h-110km/h
• Other high-volume roads with fewer safety features
80km/h- 100km/h
• Low-volume winding roads 60km/h-80km/h

tditom

Top Post Dawg
TDI
formerly: 2001 Golf GL, '97 Passat (RIP) '98 NB, '05 B5 sedan
When I went through driver's training 35+ years ago, we were taught that if you see the yellow light you had to stop if you could safely do so. This has served me well over the years and I have not noticed that the yellow light duration has changed much. Of course being able to stop safely is dependent on the speed limit for that street, so the timer is set based on that speed. I've not had a close call even going 5mph over while driving in urban areas.