mixing oil and diesel

phucking-low

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
Seen this while searching on the internet, people are mixing used motor oil filtered of course in with there diesel. I am assuming this is for trucks, they are calling it black diesel. Thought and opinions on this? Will it work in a tdi.

Joe_Meehan

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB TDI, 2002.5, Silver
I would not want to do it on one of our cars. You can filter oil, but I doubt if they are filtering out everything that should. But most of all, it is just not worth the risk to me.

Quart of fuel cost what? Rebuild cost what?

Just drop off the old oil for recycle and buy that extra quart of fuel at the pump.

…….. Additional note: Oil can wear out. temperature and pressure that it goes through can change the chemistry of the oil, sot of like milk, leave it in the fridge for a few months and you really don't want to put it on your morning cereal.

Last edited:

turbocharged798

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 black ALH Jetta;09 Gasser Jetta
Seen this while searching on the internet, people are mixing used motor oil filtered of course in with there diesel. I am assuming this is for trucks, they are calling it black diesel. Thought and opinions on this? Will it work in a tdi.
Bad idea on many levels. Mostly used motor oil contains microscopic oil particles that can really do some damage.

If you want to burn waste oil, buy/make a waste oil burner and heat your house with it.

B100

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf
I use my sooty used oil for quenching metal parts, it gives them a nice finish.

But I would never, ever, pour it into my fuel tank.

d-man

Veteran Member
TDI
05 jetta PD
He asked if it would work, not if it was a good idea and yes it would work. The cetane rating would be lower but the lubricity would be higher. Maybe you should search mixing two stroke oil with diesel, if lubricity is what you are after.

turbocharged798

Veteran Member
TDI
No, he asked if it was a good idea in his original post. Again, the answer is no. 2-stroke oil is made to be burned and does not contain wear metals or soot.

TDI
MK4 Golf GLS TDI
WMO 50/50 mix

I did it... works fine. sometimes you need to over look all the I'm a chemist BS, stop being nervous and see whats being done... I have a centrifuge I built with some washer machine motors to get the big gunk out of the WMO (waste motor oil)... then I run my cleaner WMO through a pressure filter rated for 5 microns... pour it in a 55 gallon drum. the drum has 2 wal-mart heating pads duct taped to the lower half. once the the now much cleaner WMO is in the drum and about half full, I fill the rest up with Diesel fuel or home heating fuel... "same-ish thing". Next, I blend using a 5gal 3 foot long paint mixer attached to a drill... mix until I'm happy which some days is pretty quick, maybe 5 mins... Last I put it in my tank and go to work... I drive an hour to and from work every day... I get a little smoke then the car warms up and normal as it can be.

here is a side note on Doing what you told

My wife bakes bread... she started out following the directions to the "T" and the the bread was always the same... one day I said what happens if you add more yeast... or honey? She in so many words said "uhuhuh" or in English "I'M NOT SURE" ... I said lets try .... you know what we got ... fluffier and sweeter bread.

TDI's are tuff ... if its your daily and your hesitant about experimenting, don't untill you can... otherwise add some more honey.

turbocharged798

Veteran Member
TDI
I did it... works fine. sometimes you need to over look all the I'm a chemist BS, stop being nervous and see whats being done... I have a centrifuge I built with some washer machine motors to get the big gunk out of the WMO (waste motor oil)... then I run my cleaner WMO through a pressure filter rated for 5 microns... pour it in a 55 gallon drum. the drum has 2 wal-mart heating pads duct taped to the lower half. once the the now much cleaner WMO is in the drum and about half full, I fill the rest up with Diesel fuel or home heating fuel... "same-ish thing". Next, I blend using a 5gal 3 foot long paint mixer attached to a drill... mix until I'm happy which some days is pretty quick, maybe 5 mins... Last I put it in my tank and go to work... I drive an hour to and from work every day... I get a little smoke then the car warms up and normal as it can be.

My wife bakes bread... she started out following the directions to the "T" and the the bread was always the same... one day I said what happens if you add more yeast... or honey? She in so many words said "uhuhuh" or in English "I'M NOT SURE" ... I said lets try .... you know what we got ... fluffier and sweeter bread.

TDI's are tuff ... if its your daily and your hesitant about experimenting, don't untill you can... otherwise add some more honey.
I would like to know how you remove the additives that help prevent oil from burning as well as the wear metals.

I would experiment......on a $100 oil burner outside away from my house that is. My $5,000 TDI engine is the last thing I would want to experiment on.

At least bread you just eat and its gone.

I hardly call any fuel sucessful until the engine has been torn apart after several hundered thousand miles, doucmented, and proven that the fuel has no ill effects on it. Just because it "runs good" on it doesn't mean squat.

Last edited:

2004STARWARSTDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2004 Platinum Gray GLS Jetta / 2006 Silver Jetta with DSG
Wmo & wvo

I would like to know how you remove the additives that help prevent oil from burning as well as the wear metals.

I would experiment......on a $100 oil burner outside away from my house that is. My $5,000 TDI engine is the last thing I would want to experiment on.

At least bread you just eat and its gone.

I hardly call any fuel sucessful until the engine has been torn apart after several hundered thousand miles, doucmented, and proven that the fuel has no ill effects on it. Just because it "runs good" on it doesn't mean squat.
And people will swear by their WVO systems until down the road they have destroyed their engine!

pkap

TDI
2004 jetta
Add Motor oil

Motor oil will raise the combustion chambers temperature to a point where it would destroy/ melt the pre-chamber in a 190D Mercedes. This happened when the vacuum pump diaphragm for the brake booster leaked. Don't think it's a good idea!

40X40

Experienced
TDI
2013 Passat SEL Premium

WMO in a TDI is ALWAYS a bad idea, whether done for rebellions sake or to 'save money'. Why do so many newbies seem to think it a duty to post poor advice and call good advice BS? :mad:

Bill

NickBeek

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI 2006 Dodge Ram
Um Cummins installs a system on over the road trucks that takes a small amount of used oil out of the engine and pumps it into the fuel tank. It replaces the engine oil with fresh oil from an onboard tank. It does this on a continuous basis.

That said, would I use WMO in my 2011 Jetta? No. In my 2006 Cummins powered Ram? No. In an older mechanically injected diesel engine? Yup!

40X40

Experienced
TDI
2013 Passat SEL Premium
Cummins forbids the use of WMO blends in any of their engines requiring ULSD and/or that have exhaust after-treatment.

Anyway, still a bad idea in a TDI.

Bill

01Slushbox

TDI
01 Jetta
I've been wondering about it also. I think it would be fine mixed 50/50. Shouldnt be any different than a vp44 cummins. Alot of guys around here are running 2/3 motor oil to 1/3 fuel in all their trucks.

tuscTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Indigo Golf GLS, 1997 E300
Old-school Mercedes guys sometimes run PS fluid or 2-stroke oil in their fuel. A lot of them swear by it. Then again those are mechanical injection engines.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk