Alh injection time vcds

touaregv10tdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Beetle TDi,2000 Beetle TDi, 2016 BMW X5 Diesel, 2004 Touareg V10 TDi,2015 Beetle TDi, 2005 Jetta TDi
Alh injection time VCDS - VIDEO

Many of you already seen this, since it might get lost on older threads, I decided to post once again.
Today I set the injection time on my beetle tdi. You need a VCDS software to perform this configuration.
Make sure your engine is at normal operating temperature.
Remove the intake hose so you will have access to the injection pump sprocket. (Make sure your engine is NOT running when working on those bolts at the injection pump)
Before you remove the hose, hook up your VCDS to see where your timing is.
  • Start VCDS
  • Click [Select]
  • Click [01-Engine]
  • Click [Meas. Blocks - 08]
  • Go to group 000
  • Click on do it
  • Click [Switch to Basic Settings]
  • Click [TDI Timing]
  • Select your engine code from the drop-down menu
Now that you know your timing, you will need to adjust it. Optimal setting is closest to the blue line.
Turn off your engine, remove the intake hose, lose but not remove the three bolts from the injection pump sprocket. To retard the timing, use a 22 mm open end wrench move the big nut from the injection accordingly.
To advance the time, move it towards the radiator. When I say move it , it is just a hair. Tie up the three bolts, put the intake hose back on, start the engine, check the time again. Repeat the procedure until desired time is achieved. I like mine just a little advanced. Video below shows where I set mine.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EG8QrMLs5iI
Once you have the correct time, torque the bolts for the injection pump sprocket to 15 lbs plus a 1/4 turn. Pop you hose back on.
Done.

Last edited:

jokila

Vendor
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS, Manual
Good summary, but you do not need to remove the intake hose for this procedure. You should not run the engine without the tube connected.

There is plenty of room with a 13 mm deep socket and a flex head ratchet. That removal is extra work and delays you starting your engine to test the setting. You may have to redo the adjustment a few times in some cases to get the timing correct. As you observed, it does not take much rotation to get the timing to change.

Because of this, I usually only tighten one bolt tight and leave the other 2 snug, but not tight. That gives me enough time to run the motor and test the timing. The other 2 bolts will want to loosen if you run it too long. Once I have the timing where I want, I do final torque on all 3 bolts.

touaregv10tdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Beetle TDi,2000 Beetle TDi, 2016 BMW X5 Diesel, 2004 Touareg V10 TDi,2015 Beetle TDi, 2005 Jetta TDi
Timing

Good summary, but you do not need to remove the intake hose for this procedure. You should not run the engine without the tube connected.

This is correct, never run your engine without the hose. You remove it to get access to the bolts super easy, before running the engine again, pop it in without the clamps just so you run the engine.
I usually tie all 3 bolts because the torque of the engine and timing belt might move the sprocket if you tie only one bolt to check the time. Moving the sprocket to set the time, is very sensitive if it moves only one hair changes the timing a lot.

Last edited: